Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 20, 20, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
TwitterAAgents informed me at least 2 hours before the flight.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 20, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Question: if I book award tickets for two passengers on a single PNR, am I allowed to cancel just one of the two later? (assume 60+ days out) Or would I need to cancel both and potentially have to re-price the passenger who is still going?
Old Jul 24, 20, 7:59 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Deleted
Old Jul 24, 20, 9:52 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, AC, US
-----

Last edited by thyeri; Jul 24, 20 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 24, 20, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH View Post
Question: if I book award tickets for two passengers on a single PNR, am I allowed to cancel just one of the two later? (assume 60+ days out) Or would I need to cancel both and potentially have to re-price the passenger who is still going?
Yes. They'll split the PNR. Each passenger will then have their own.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Jul 26, 20, 10:26 pm

Programs: QR/VA Gold, QF Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I booked a short intra-US award in mid July for travelling in May next year, to see if this resets the mile expiration date. It did.

I will now wait until Feb/March next year to cancel the award for free, and reset the expiration date.
Old Aug 5, 20, 1:19 pm

AA has moved this date to September 8

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards ticketed by September 8, 2020.

Automatic mileage reinstatement

If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. For all other trips, contact Reservations to have your miles reinstated.

Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements:
  • Travel is on American Airlines flights only.
  • The ticket was purchased directly with American in the U.S. or via our U.S. website.
  • Travel for any portion of the trip has not begun.
  • No changes have been made to the trip since the ticket was issued.

My Question: Are American Eagle segments included in "American Airlines flights only" per this restriction?

Last edited by 8tracks; Aug 5, 20 at 1:24 pm Reason: Unsuccessfully trying to reduce font size
Old Aug 5, 20, 3:04 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 8tracks View Post

.... My Question: Are American Eagle segments included in "American Airlines flights only" per this restriction?

Yes. American Eagle = American Airlines 😀
8tracks likes this.

Last edited by DC9; Aug 5, 20 at 3:15 pm
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Elite, Hilton Gold
Partner Airlines Award Tickets Cancellation Fees?

Was looking to book an award ticket on AA and Iberia to Europe for next summer prior to September 8, 2020. But wanted to know if a mixed award with partner airlines would qualify for free reinstatement if completed 60 days prior to travel. I understand that for automatic mileage reinstatement it has to be all on AA metal but its not clear if an award ticket with airline partners would incur any fees if canceled 60 days prior to travel.
thyeri likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: