Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

New Award Change and Miles Redeposit Fees 1 Jul 2020

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings — link

We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by June 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after July 1, 2020 (note: policy has been revised, was originally supposed to take effect June 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings
We’re giving you more flexibility with waived award reinstatement and change fees for awards booked by May 31, 2020, for travel through September 30, 2020.

For award travel ticketed on or after June 1, 2020 (edit: now July 1, 2020), we’ll waive change and reinstatement fees when the change is made at least 60 days before travel. A new fee structure will apply to changes made with fewer than 60 days before travel:

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

Change made 60 days or more before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $0
Platinum: $0
Gold: $0
Regular member: $0

At least 7 days, but fewer than 60 days before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $50
Platinum: $75
Gold: $100
Regular member: $125

Fewer than 7 days before travel
Executive Platinum: $0
Platinum Pro: $75
Platinum: $100
Gold: $125
Regular member: $150

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated.

Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.
The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Previously, fees were only incurred for reinstatement, and changes (i.e. moving dates while keeping the same cities and award type) were permitted without a fee. The way I read this, that's ending... along with the reduced fees if you are changing/cancelling flights for more than one passenger... instead of $25 for each additional passenger, you pay the full fee. However, even reinstatements will be free for everyone as long as you change 60+ days out.

Fees apply to each award ticket changed or reinstated. (No discount for additional flyers on same award.)Fees vary by elite status of the member using miles from their account and the number of days before departure of the first changed or canceled flight in the original trip.

The flight award change / reinstatement fee will be waived for:
  • Members using more miles to purchase a higher cabin on the same flight(s).
  • Executive Platinum members using miles from their account, including for Web Special awards.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 25, 20, 5:55 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Posts: 4,952
I know the policy initially said June 1st, the website now shows July 1st, which is only a week away (unless they push it out again last minute like they did last time). I rebooked a trip to Japan to next year, who knows what the future holds, but now thinking about nesting some trips on JL using AA miles (the main trip isn't on AA). Seems like if I book and cancel at least 60 days in advance, I would not pay a reinstatement fee AND get my taxes and fees back automatically (assuming I just book with my miles for myself only?)
pitflyer is offline  
Old Jun 27, 20, 8:54 am
  #152  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MAD
Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 367
Cancelling an award booking

I'm cancelling an award on JAL/AA for departure on August 30 (today is June 27, therefore > 60 days until travel) and the agent is definitely trying to charge me the redeposit fee. She seems surprised that AA said they would waive the redeposit fee and said, "I'll have to check on that." Maybe I've misunderstood the posts in this thread and AA's emails but I thought I'd get the redeposit without paying $150.

Update: After 10 mins on hold, the agent came back and agreed that there would be no $150 charge for the redeposit.

Last edited by Matthew_DC; Jun 27, 20 at 9:00 am
Matthew_DC is offline  
Old Jun 27, 20, 10:38 am
  #153  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 76
Help a Newbie with Award Cancellation Question

I have read up on this but I'm not convinced I know the answer and it could cost me if I get it wrong. I have never used award travel on AA so I have no experience.

I am 74 and plan to take one more international trip. I have 140000 AA miles and can get a Bsns class ticket DEN-SIN.

I would like to book the trip for next April, however, if Covid19 has not cleared up by then, I will have to cancel and may not be able to rebook due to family matters.

The flights would be mainly on partner airlines. If I book before July 1 and cancel prior to the scheduled flights in April, will I get my miles reinstated?
chinook9 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 20, 12:25 pm
  #154  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,719
We have merged your question into the existing thread. Please look over the Wikipost at the top of the page for the new conditions applying to award travel changes and cancellations. Of course, if the flights change significantly (4+ hours these days) or cancel, there’s no redeposited fee. In this environment, we can almost bet there will be significant changes by the time you plan to fly, so there’s that.

Moderator
JDiver is offline  
Old Jun 27, 20, 1:13 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by chinook9 View Post
I have read up on this but I'm not convinced I know the answer and it could cost me if I get it wrong. I have never used award travel on AA so I have no experience.

I am 74 and plan to take one more international trip. I have 140000 AA miles and can get a Bsns class ticket DEN-SIN.

I would like to book the trip for next April, however, if Covid19 has not cleared up by then, I will have to cancel and may not be able to rebook due to family matters.

The flights would be mainly on partner airlines. If I book before July 1 and cancel prior to the scheduled flights in April, will I get my miles reinstated?
That is my current understanding of the rules. I also have booked a trip for my family in March on partner airlines and am counting on being able to cancel prior to the trip if things look bad at my destination.
whimsey21 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:31 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Posts: 502
Originally Posted by chinook9 View Post
I have read up on this but I'm not convinced I know the answer and it could cost me if I get it wrong. I have never used award travel on AA so I have no experience.

I am 74 and plan to take one more international trip. I have 140000 AA miles and can get a Bsns class ticket DEN-SIN.

I would like to book the trip for next April, however, if Covid19 has not cleared up by then, I will have to cancel and may not be able to rebook due to family matters.

The flights would be mainly on partner airlines. If I book before July 1 and cancel prior to the scheduled flights in April, will I get my miles reinstated?
I had no problem cancelling an award flight on a partner airline. My miles were reinstated immediately and the taxes paid were recredited several weeks later.
dwugson is offline  
Old Jun 27, 20, 9:54 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Posts: 919
Anyone have any input on how "booked by June 30th" is defined?
- Is it the time a reservation is finalized(submitted with credit card info) and sent to ticketing?
- or is it the time when AA actually tickets the reservation? (in which there can be a significant lag when partner airlines are in the PNR)
- and what time zone will the "ticketing date/time" be based on to make the June 30th cutoff?

I think the only time stamp that matters is the actual ticketing date and time (issuance of ticket number) so that means last minute bookings may not work to get it under the wire.

Know these are minute details but just to let everyone know - ticketing (the issuance of a ticket number) is not as instantaneous on AA as it is on other airlines in the purchase process.
mrkymark is offline  
Old Jun 28, 20, 12:30 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 6,345
I have an award on a five day hold, can ticket before or after 7/1. Seems like after 7/1 is better as then I at least know the rules. The flight is for next May; am I missing anything in terms of trying to ticket before or after 7/1?

Thanks in advance!
beachfan is offline  
Old Jun 28, 20, 12:59 am
  #159  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,070
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
I have an award on a five day hold, can ticket before or after 7/1. Seems like after 7/1 is better as then I at least know the rules. The flight is for next May; am I missing anything in terms of trying to ticket before or after 7/1?

Thanks in advance!
if you are not EXP, you need to ticket before 7/1 to avoid the redeposit fee. if you ticket after, then you can only redeposit for free with 60 day notice. Ticket before 7/1, you can redeposit for free presumably anytime.

If you are EXP, and since everybody will retain status for an extra year, you don’t need to concern yourself with such petty things, as you can cancel and redeposit at anytime, lol...
nk15 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 20, 11:08 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by dwugson View Post
I had no problem cancelling an award flight on a partner airline. My miles were reinstated immediately and the taxes paid were recredited several weeks later.
Was this recent? I too am thinking of making a speculative aadvantage award booking on JAL for next year, but the details on the refund policy state that the free reinstatement of miles is for american airlines flights only. So I'm worried that they'll charge me for a partner airline.
MelloChatt is offline  
Old Jun 29, 20, 12:05 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by MelloChatt View Post
Was this recent? I too am thinking of making a speculative aadvantage award booking on JAL for next year, but the details on the refund policy state that the free reinstatement of miles is for american airlines flights only. So I'm worried that they'll charge me for a partner airline.
The place where the policy mentions AA flights only is in the part covering automatic reinstatement:"If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. For all other trips, contact Reservations to have your miles reinstated.

Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements:
The reservation qualifies for a $0 flight award change / reinstatement fee as outlined on the chart below.
  • Travel is on American Airlines flights only."
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ourawardtravel

There is a separate section further down on that page titled "If your trip is not eligible for automatic reinstatement of your miles, contact Reservations for help with canceling your flight award reservation, requesting mileage reinstatement and paying the applicable flight award change / reinstatement fee." This section does not include the statement about travel on AA only.

Taken together, it appears that the "travel on AA only" applies only to automatic reinstatement only, and that travel on a partner airline requires you to call in get reinstatement of miles. Would be nice if AA would be a little clearer on this point.
MelloChatt likes this.
avatexrs is offline  
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:31 pm
  #162  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by avatexrs View Post
The place where the policy mentions AA flights only is in the part covering automatic reinstatement:"If your trip is eligible, your miles will be automatically reinstated within 48 hours of canceling your trip online. For all other trips, contact Reservations to have your miles reinstated.

Eligible customers / trips must meet these requirements:
The reservation qualifies for a $0 flight award change / reinstatement fee as outlined on the chart below.
  • Travel is on American Airlines flights only."
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ourawardtravel

There is a separate section further down on that page titled "If your trip is not eligible for automatic reinstatement of your miles, contact Reservations for help with canceling your flight award reservation, requesting mileage reinstatement and paying the applicable flight award change / reinstatement fee." This section does not include the statement about travel on AA only.

Taken together, it appears that the "travel on AA only" applies only to automatic reinstatement only, and that travel on a partner airline requires you to call in get reinstatement of miles. Would be nice if AA would be a little clearer on this point.
I see. Thanks so much for the detailed answer!
MelloChatt is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:05 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: IHG Platinum
Posts: 921
If I book an award flight by today (June 30th) for travel in December 2020, will I be able to change dates several times (postponing) without penalty after June 30th or am I only allowed one free change?
hightide is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:49 pm
  #164  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia
Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum - 2M miles
Posts: 200
Since it is June 30, just want to make sure I understand the AA fees for cancellation of award tickets and redeposit of miles. Given I may not be able to travel to Germany or Hawaii, it is possible these award tixs will have to be cancelled. Am I correct, that as long as I cancel the tickets 60 days prior to travel, there will be NO fees to reinstate the miles to my account? Just want to make sure my understanding is correct. Data points for the 3 one way award tickets follow:

1. Dec 15,2020 - IAD to Germany (FRA): Web Special award tickets, booked 4/17/2020.

2. Jan 8, 2021 - FRA to Hawaii: Web Special award tickets, booked 4/5/2020.

3. Mar 11, 2020 - Hawaii to IAD: Saver award tickets, booked 6/24/2020.

Thanks for any comments.

Talked to two different AA reps on the phone today and got two very different answers. Some of their reps are totally confused.
Jwerking is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:00 pm
  #165  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by hightide View Post
If I book an award flight by today (June 30th) for travel in December 2020, will I be able to change dates several times (postponing) without penalty after June 30th or am I only allowed one free change?
My understanding is that you would be under the "old rules" which would enable you to make changes to the dates (multiple times) assuming that the origin and destination stay the same. I'd also guess that you can only do that through the period of ticket validity, which woudl be a year from issuance.
hightide likes this.
whimsey21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: