Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

AAdvantage® program updates — link

AAdvantage® members are among our most loyal customers, and we want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. When the time is right for you to travel again, we’re doing all we can to ensure you receive the benefits of your membership and elite status.

In the coming weeks, we will:
  • Extend AAdvantage® elite status through January 2022
  • Lower elite qualification thresholds for 2020
  • Extend the expiration date for systemwide upgrades
  • Lower EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards for 2020
  • Introduce a promotion to reach Million Miler℠ status
  • Waive award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings*
  • Add a new American Airlines Vacations offer for AAdvantage® elite status members

Extending your AAdvantage® elite status

If your current elite status expires on January 31, 2021, we’ll automatically extend the expiration date until January 31, 2022.

You’ll continue to enjoy all the benefits that come with your status, and you can earn a higher status through lower elite qualification requirements this year.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

Lowering elite qualification requirements

You’ll be able to qualify for a higher elite status in 2020 with lower Elite Qualifying Dollar (EQD), Elite Qualifying Mile (EQM) and Elite Qualifying Segment (EQS) requirements.

see chart via link

The new lower qualification thresholds will take effect by May 15, 2020. Once these changes are in place, members who reach the lower thresholds during 2020 will receive their status immediately upon qualifying (or retroactively once the changes take effect), valid through January 31, 2022.

Extending expiration of systemwide upgrades

Any unused systemwide upgrades with an expiration date of January 31, 2021, will be automatically extended through July 31, 2021. (Posted in account weekend of May 2-3 2020.)

While we’re not awarding new systemwide upgrades with the extension of Executive Platinum status, members who qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status in 2020 will receive 4 systemwide upgrades valid through January 31, 2022.

Accounts will be updated by May 15, 2020.

also:

Lowering EQM thresholds for Executive Platinum rewards

Introducing a promotion to reach Million MilerSM status

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings (sliding scales based in advance cancellations - see this thread)

Offering an American Airlines Vacations (one time $400) credit

See full information via the link above.

Print Wikipost

Current AAdvantage Status Extension Thru 31 Jan 2022 & Program Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
<snip> This may be the first time in my career as a flyertalker I won't be complaining about C space availability at booking.
I'm quite confident you will find something else about AA to be offended about...

Regards
aztimm, rumboj and robertablake like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by enviroian
After June I suspect the world will start to open up gradually. This may be the first time in my career as a flyertalker I won't be complaining about C space availability at booking.
Just booked JFK-GRU-JFK leaving 12/26 and returning after carnival with C available BOTH WAYS at time of booking and the roundtrip ticket cost under $600. I could get used to these prices and this C-avail
enviroian and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by donotblink
So I've already done $2,394 EQDs and 27,792 EQM. I can get $3,000 EQD and 10,000 EQM from Barclays--does it make sense to go for EXP again for the 4 SWUs or leave it? I'm thinking I'll go for them. Looks like there's no million miler bonus for Barclays, is that correct?
Wrong! If you reach $4,000 for Platinum Elite, not $3,000 or if you reach 30,000 EQM. They reduce dollar requirements and miles. If you fly more. You still have earn more miles.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
With these lower thresholds I think it might be a good idea for myself to get dual status, I could easy make the Platinum threshold and I could have status on Delta and American with that.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
With these lower thresholds I think it might be a good idea for myself to get dual status, I could easy make the Platinum threshold and I could have status on Delta and American with that.
Actually, you can fly American instead of Delta. Delta is not right place for you. You belongs to American Airlines. You can even try earns more miles.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, you can fly American instead of Delta. Delta is not right place for you. You belongs to American Airlines. You can even try earns more miles.
But I like Delta, I just wanted to have status on American too that way I can be more flexible like if one airline doesn't work out then I have another one at the ready. Especially with this limited scheduling dual status is better now more than ever because a lot of the time for now you just might get backed into a corner with scheduling on one airline while the other airline has something and vice versa.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:17 pm

EQM EQD requirements lowered

Has anyone else recieved an email stating they got a status change due to lowered EQM and EQD for 2020?
Signing on to my account shows that EXP is 9000USD, so something has changed and I'm surprised not to see details here..
Anyone got a proper breakdown on the details?
Old May 11, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I guess I won’t bother to requalify for ExP this year. leisure traveler and haven’t even left the house since 1/28. So far only $177EQD YTD 😂
Old May 11, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brian-AAFlyer
Has anyone else recieved an email stating they got a status change due to lowered EQM and EQD for 2020?
Signing on to my account shows that EXP is 9000USD, so something has changed and I'm surprised not to see details here..
Yes, they updates it. They reducing dollar requirements, miles, and segments. You can even earn more miles on AA.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
With the new status tiers, I had qualified for EXP when AA made the change. The actual status didn't matter to me, as mine was extended, I just wanted the 4 SWUs. I waited until today (5/15) as that is when AA said all accounts should be updated, but the 4 SWUs still didn't show. I call the AAdvantage desk and they fixed the issue pretty quickly.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Brian-AAFlyer
I received my email about 7 days after the system accounted for my new status. I believe the system was updated over two days, as I logged in early May (1st or 2nd) and the new status tracker showed the lower thresholds, but my actual status wasn't updated until the next day when I came back in. I received the normal email you would any time you pass the status threshold, saying I would receiving the package in the mail in 6ish weeks.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
"American Airlines says its extension is open only to passengers who earned their elite status for the 2020 membership year. According to spokesman Ross Feinstein, customers who were granted that status through a promotion aren’t eligible [emphasis added]."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...35f_story.html
N830MH and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by danger
"American Airlines says its extension is open only to passengers who earned their elite status for the 2020 membership year. According to spokesman Ross Feinstein, customers who were granted that status through a promotion aren’t eligible [emphasis added]."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...35f_story.html
I'm ok with that.

Regards
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm ok with that.

Regards
Me, too. I'm fine with that. I can fly more again real soon. Once COVID is gone.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by aacar
Given that SWUs are equivalent to mileage upgrades, I can't see how anyone would value a SWU at over $1k.
mileage upgrades require a cash copay unless you are booking in full fare economy - spend you get no EQDs or FF miles for. even if you ignore this, the comparison to points doesnt mean anything, the comparison between economy and business does. in the city pairs I fly that is never under $1k each way. Short notice it's far more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.