Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

Memories of the AA Boeing 757 - retired 24 April 2020

Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by C46
Flight time of DFW-MIA is under 3 hours - I have problems understanding, why a lie-flat seat would be needed on such a short flight.
Novelty & social distancing, perhaps?

James
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
For years, the 757 was a staple at my home airport of SNA. Spent lots of time in the old Eisenhower FC seats, but never flew the NGBC variant. Once sat next to a recently-retired Bob Crandall flying from DFW to SNA. We chatted almost the entire trip, really fascinating guy.

I loved when they used 2L for boarding, really made for a pleasant boarding experience. While these still pop up on some of my DL flights, the last time I flew on an AA 757 was back in 2013 from LAS to JFK.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Strangely on Thursday I saw a LUS 757 sitting parked at a gate at PHX. I thought they all had been grounded.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by C46
Flight time of DFW-MIA is under 3 hours - I have problems understanding, why a lie-flat seat would be needed on such a short flight.
It's not needed, but it will be an early Monday morning trip originating in Austin after a bachelor weekend, so I expect to be very tired. Plus I don't get to fly business internationally very much so it's pretty much my only chance to get to experience any lie-flats
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
I never got to fly a AA 757 and it seems I never will. I got to fly it twice on UA and once on Delta. Great plane, sad to see it go.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Mine certainly is that exciting, but US Airways used to fly BWI-CLT-AUA with a 757 with Envoy seating. I booked it by accident one time with miles and WOW. Huge deal for me to stumble on that. After that whenever we went to our timeshare in Aruba, we flew Envoy. I wasn't traveling much then, but it was great fun. In 2014, near the end of our use, I was able to send our son and daughter in law in those on their honeymoon.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Boeing 757 was a great power aircraft that did so well at hot and high airports such as DEN, MEX, UIO, LPB. Though the interiors were never state of the art, this racehorse of a plane was my favorite for performance. My last 752 flight was DFW-KEF.
Originally Posted by Herb687
I don't know what you are saying here.
A loaded up 737 will take off and requires "step climb" to cruising altitude as it doesn't have the power to weight ratio for continuous climb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_climb

The 757 can climb all the way to cruise altitude without any leveling off.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Until last year the 757 was the only way to get a direct flight from Phoenix to Hawaii. USAir then AA flew the 757 from Phoenix to Kona, to Honolulu and also the Maui. Hawaiian flew it only to Honolulu.

Last year HA replaced the 757 with the A330 -- which made for a MUCH nicer business class experience.

This year AA finally got around to switching to the A321 Neo -- newer interiors and electronics of course -- not clear that the flying experience was much nicer.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
No! Say it isn't so! I love the 757s, especially since the LAA ones went to lie flat seats upfront..

My favourite 757 memory was in 2015 when my then girlfriend and I were flying STT-MIA-JFK in F. At STT we boarded the 757 through the stairs from the apron up to 2L. We were the first passengers to board and the captain was standing at the door and asked to wait a few seconds whilst the crew finished up the cabin. He was very pleasant and we chatted briefly before heading to row 1. After a couple of hours at MIA we go to board a different 757 and the same captain is at the boarding door and greets us! He invites us up to the cockpit and so my wife then throws me in it by saying I'm huge aviation buff and learned to fly with the Royal Air Force (true, but this was more than 10yrs before). He then says I can help him out so I shake hands with the FO, he puts his hat on me and I take the left seat. We start working through the pre-flight checks together and after a good few minutes and just after firing up the APU the purser from F comes back and lets the captain know that boarding is just about complete. We take the hint and head back to row 3...Amazing
JDiver, ExpatExp, Djokison and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Ty Vil
A loaded up 737 will take off and requires "step climb" to cruising altitude as it doesn't have the power to weight ratio for continuous climb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_climb

The 757 can climb all the way to cruise altitude without any leveling off.
What model 737 at what weight to what cruise altitude? Your post above is very general and often incorrect. I was referring to another poster who seemed to think "step climb" meant the reduction from takeoff thrust soon after departure. It doesn't.

Here's one recent example of a 737 that took off and went right up to FL380 in 20 minutes:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KDEN/tracklog

And a 757 that leveled off at FL320 (about 12 minutes time to climb) before climbing to FL400 though it's entirely possible the level off at FL320 was an ATC restriction for traffic. They only stayed at FL320 for about 17 minutes:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KSFO/tracklog
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Boeing big mistake

Boeing should have never launched the Max8 project. They could have avoided all of the Max8 catastrophe if they would have relaunched the B757 with new fuel efficient engines to compete with the A321.

Building a longer out of balance B737 as the Max8 was a huge error.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by BarryAZ
Until last year the 757 was the only way to get a direct flight from Phoenix to Hawaii. USAir then AA flew the 757 from Phoenix to Kona, to Honolulu and also the Maui. Hawaiian flew it only to Honolulu.

Last year HA replaced the 757 with the A330 -- which made for a MUCH nicer business class experience.

This year AA finally got around to switching to the A321 Neo -- newer interiors and electronics of course -- not clear that the flying experience was much nicer.
HA had 767's not 757's.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Boeing 757 was a great power aircraft that did so well at hot and high airports such as DEN, MEX, UIO, LPB. Though the interiors were never state of the art, this racehorse of a plane was my favorite for performance. My last 752 flight was DFW-KEF.

The approach into JAC was always a fun one hearing the 757 engines throttle up and down....
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:05 pm
formerly plenTpak

Programs: AA
The RB211s are/were by far the best sounding takeoffs on the planet. Loved taking the US Airways 757s from DCA-MIA back in the day. 24 seats up front. Those were the days.

RB211 Buzzsaw Takeoff from Instagram

US Airways 757-200 Seatmap
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Now that I think about it, I don't seem to recall ever taking a 757 on AA except maybe MIA-SJO-MIA eons ago . Did they ever fly them to LIM somewhere around 2004-2007 or was that 767 only?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.