Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

My flight no longer available to book on AA website - Does that mean it's cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My flight no longer available to book on AA website - Does that mean it's cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:10 am
Original Poster

I have a roundtrip ticket for June 1 - DFW -> LHR (AA50) returning June 11 LHR -> DFW (AA79) ... the departure time changed for AA50, had been 3:40pm and now it's 4:15pm. When I try to locate this flight in the booking section of AA's website, as though I was booking a new flight, I cannot find it. Does that mean the flight is sold out? Or does that mean it was cancelled? Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cwolf78
I have a roundtrip ticket for June 1 - DFW -> LHR (AA50) returning June 11 LHR -> DFW (AA79) ... the departure time changed for AA50, had been 3:40pm and now it's 4:15pm. When I try to locate this flight in the booking section of AA's website, as though I was booking a new flight, I cannot find it. Does that mean the flight is sold out? Or does that mean it was cancelled? Thanks.
It's currently zero'd out. I doubt it's sold out. It's likely on tap to be cancelled in a future schedule update.

C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 W0 P0 X0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
A flight will not appear as bookable for two reasons: 1). It is over-sold 2). It is cancelled. I suspect that if you haven't had a cancellation notice from AA, then it is the first case.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
It's currently zero'd out. I doubt it's sold out. It's likely on tap to be cancelled in a future schedule update.

C0 J0 R0 D0 I0 U0 W0 P0 X0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 E0 T0
Interesting! Is that information available to anyone, or do you have an inside track? Also, what does that mean that all the codes are 'zeroed out'?

Long story short, I have a non-refundable business class ticket that I would like to get a refund for. Thanks again!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Right now everything on aa.com seems to be in total flux. For example if you search for a particular flight tomorrow using the search schedule function it might show flying but in reality it might be cancelled. The OP's best bet would be to call AA and try to cancel, hoping the flight is in fact cancelled. Otherwise a schedule change of 35 minutes won't probably do it. However, it's pretty likely there is going to be another schedule change between now and June.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksweeney
A flight will not appear as bookable for two reasons: 1). It is over-sold 2). It is cancelled. I suspect that if you haven't had a cancellation notice from AA, then it is the first case.
Or 3) they have zero'ed out all fare buckets and are planning on cancelling it, but haven't yet. The fact that all fare buckets are zero does not mean it is "over-sold". In this case, they have done it simply to prevent any new bookings on the flight. Nonetheless, the flight has not actually been cancelled and removed from the schedule yet.

You can use ExpertFlyer (for fee) or https://flightavailability.bcdtravel.com/ (free) to check bucket availability. You aren't entitled to a refund until it's actually cancelled (and not just zero'ed out).
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Or 3) they have zero'ed out all fare buckets and are planning on cancelling it, but haven't yet. The fact that all fare buckets are zero does not mean it is "over-sold". In this case, they have done it simply to prevent any new bookings on the flight. Nonetheless, the flight has not actually been cancelled and removed from the schedule yet.

You can use ExpertFlyer (for fee) or https://flightavailability.bcdtravel.com/ (free) to check bucket availability. You aren't entitled to a refund until it's actually cancelled (and not just zero'ed out).
If I have a flight booked that shows up on my itinerary at AA.com, but isn’t available to book and doesn’t show up at all at bcdtravel, does that mean it’s cancelled?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or 4. AA (or BA if JV) is planning on cancelling another service and retaining OP's flight but has zeroed out space to accommodate passengers on the other flight.
clbish likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 12:43 pm

We are seeing similar situations on American, Iberia, and United international bookings between the U.S. and Europe for May 2020.

For the American itinerary it turns out the flights were cancelled so a refund was requested. The Iberia and United reservations are still confirmed so we are monitoring to see what happens.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
If I have a flight booked that shows up on my itinerary at AA.com, but isn’t available to book and doesn’t show up at all at bcdtravel, does that mean it’s cancelled?
No. It means there are no seats for sale. It may very well be cancelled eventually but isn't as of yet.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13
Almost - AA has been zeroing out the flights first and even though it shows up on your itinerary, it's a goner that will eventually be cancelled.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
AA did this with my JFK-CDG-JFK. The JFK-CDG leg is now cancelled, but AA didn't think to inform me or offer a reroute. Thankfully I check my bookings from time to time. There was no note in the record, it simply showed CDG-JFK with nothing listed for the first leg, no refund and the system held my SWU. I called in and was able to find an acceptable JFK-CDG once the flight starts operating again. Thanks for the heads up AA...
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Interesting! Is that information available to anyone, or do you have an inside track? Also, what does that mean that all the codes are 'zeroed out'?
A lot of us have subscriptions to ExpertFlyer to keep up on flight details. Gives you detailed information on "seat buckets" (how many seats available per booking code/class) available and upgrade probability. Zeroed out means all of the buckets, for example J (business) goes from J7 (7+ available seats) to J0, and all other buckets are also 0. It's a way in their system to not respond to flight searches for new flights. Essentially they are making the flights appear as full so they can't be booked, and eventually they will be cancelled once they figure out their schedule and push out a new one.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
No. It means there are no seats for sale. It may very well be cancelled eventually but isn't as of yet.
If it doesn't show up at all on bcdtravel availability checker, it's almost certainly been cancelled. The ones that have not been cancelled will still show up, but with all zeros in their fare buckets. Bcdtravel search ability is pretty limited (it won't show many connecting flight options). But if you are just looking at non-stop flights on a particular carrier and the flight does not show up, it should be fairly safe to assume it's been cancelled.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
A lot of us have subscriptions to ExpertFlyer to keep up on flight details. Gives you detailed information on "seat buckets" (how many seats available per booking code/class) available and upgrade probability. Zeroed out means all of the buckets, for example J (business) goes from J7 (7+ available seats) to J0, and all other buckets are also 0. It's a way in their system to not respond to flight searches for new flights. Essentially they are making the flights appear as full so they can't be booked, and eventually they will be cancelled once they figure out their schedule and push out a new one.
Thank you! I will wait it out, hopefully they will cancel this one, or move the departure time by more than one hour so I can cancel and get my money back!
FlyerDigits likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.