Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are (mileage award) web specials booked now still unchangeable / nonrefundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are (mileage award) web specials booked now still unchangeable / nonrefundable?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
On 3/31, I booked a Web Special to Santa Barbara for Aug. 12. With the waiver changes on Advantage awards, if I cancel today, will I have to pay the redeposit fee?
Old May 22, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Any updates/data points? It certainly seems like Web Special awards ticketed by May 31 for travel through Sept 30 should be eligible for a redeposit with no fee if cancelled under AA's COVID policy, but it would be nice to have evidence that AA is actually following that policy.

Last edited by JJ804; May 22, 2020 at 5:07 pm
Old May 22, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by JJ804
Any updates/data points? It certainly seems like Web Special awards ticketed by May 31 for travel through Sept 30 should be eligible for a redeposit with no fee if cancelled under AA's COVID policy, but it would be nice to have evidence that AA is actually following that policy.
Yes - I was able to cancel a September trip and miles were redeposited with no fee. Taxes took about 10 days to refund to my credit card.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
I was able to cancel two tickets purchased in January using Web Special Awards (5,000 miles each) from BUF to DFW for a flight next week....travelers are still overseas and I indicated that during the call; agent was super fast and said that no fees were going to be charged and the 10,000 miles posted today. Well done American Airlines! Now I'm booking with them happily two different trips with a little more confidence...
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
I have a great Webspecial biz fare from MAD to HNL for next week. Of course, due to travel restrictions, I can't use this ticket. There has been a schedule change (2.5hr), airport change (transit DFW instead of JFK) and aircraft change. I am trying to change the date of the trip due to "involuntary changes." They are willing to move it a day or two but not rebook for later next year. I can cancel free of charge. Any future flight is 25K+ miles more. Any hope of getting an agent willing to change this to a later date at the same mileage?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by worldtraveler303
I have a great Webspecial biz fare from MAD to HNL for next week. Of course, due to travel restrictions, I can't use this ticket. There has been a schedule change (2.5hr), airport change (transit DFW instead of JFK) and aircraft change. I am trying to change the date of the trip due to "involuntary changes." They are willing to move it a day or two but not rebook for later next year. I can cancel free of charge. Any future flight is 25K+ miles more. Any hope of getting an agent willing to change this to a later date at the same mileage?
Tried asking for this and was told no....need to cancel and book a new award.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EP
No. U change ur dates and u have to pay the current mileage. Same as with a paid ticket.

Originally Posted by worldtraveler303
Old Aug 30, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Aren’t web specials canceellable (with miles redeposited) for no fee if it’s more than 60 days out from travel, just like regular awards? Cancellation fees for web specials follow the chart for regular award tickets don’t they?
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Called agent regarding my award ticket. Free redeposit up to departure time. Very generous.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Aren’t web specials canceellable (with miles redeposited) for no fee if it’s more than 60 days out from travel, just like regular awards? Cancellation fees for web specials follow the chart for regular award tickets don’t they?
Under the current rules until 9/8 you can cancel any time. I had a web special J award and canceled a week out online, miles were redeposited within a couple of hours and my card was refunded instantly.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
Under the current rules until 9/8 you can cancel any time. I had a web special J award and canceled a week out online, miles were redeposited within a couple of hours and my card was refunded instantly.
Correct, and after 9/8, you can cancel up to 60 days ahead for free, is my assertion. But since it's not spelled out on AA.com, I'm inferring it from the award redeposit fee chart.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:27 pm

Just modified again that you can change any flight purchased before 12/31/2020 including all award tickets.

Also: with the new "no change fees" rule it states it applies to AAdvantage award tickets as well but doesn't clarify if Web Specials are included. I would think per the wording, you now do not have to pay any sort of change fee on any AAdvantage ticket.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Wishful thinking?

Originally Posted by Stickboy46
Also: with the new "no change fees" rule it states it applies to AAdvantage award tickets as well but doesn't clarify if Web Specials are included. I would think per the wording, you now do not have to pay any sort of change fee on any AAdvantage ticket.
This last post is now 4 weeks old. Does it reflect wishful thinking? Can anyone confirm that AA web special awards purchased today are exempt from the redeposit fee? I am booking on-line right now PHL-SXM for February and there is a clear warning "... You can cancel your trip and reinstate miles, but fees may apply.*" and the asterisk refers to this disclaimer, "*Fees do not apply if you're an Executive Platinum member ..." which I am not. Seems pretty clear to me that cancellation fees DO apply. My wish is that someone will confirm they do not!
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know the answer here - are web specials changeable and/or can you redeposit without fees? AA.com is maddeningly vague.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Does anyone know the answer here - are web specials changeable and/or can you redeposit without fees? AA.com is maddeningly vague.
Through 12/31 you should be able to cancel, even if it’s a web special. The redeposit fee should be waived.

What you still can’t do is change a web special, as in, change dates on the same ticket. It doesn’t really matter though because you can just cancel and rebook something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.