Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Are (mileage award) web specials booked now still unchangeable / nonrefundable?

Are (mileage award) web specials booked now still unchangeable / nonrefundable?

Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:01 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I had to cancel MIA-LHR on a web special, and they waived the redeposit fee.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
I cancelled an ATL-CLT-LHR web special (before it was cancelled by AA) and the agent also waived the redeposit fee. AA also refunded the (minimal) taxes.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:15 pm

I asked about this on a normal saver fare to DPS in July and was told I would have to pay a redeposit fee if I decided to cancel the booking. I doubt the situation will be stable in Bali but I would like to lock in these flights in case it is.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by shmuey
I asked about this on a normal saver fare to DPS in July and was told I would have to pay a redeposit fee if I decided to cancel the booking. I doubt the situation will be stable in Bali but I would like to lock in these flights in case it is.
It sounds like the Twitter team and even some phone AAgents are being pretty good about redepositing without a fee. In my case I bought a DFW-NRT web special for mid-June that, if Japan Immigration's COVID-19 policies don't change from what they are today, most US citizens wouldn't be able to fly without being turned away at the border.
I'd certainly hope they would waive the fee in that scenario considering one isn't allowed to change even the date on web specials...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by geepmaley
I was told my web special award was not changeable OR cancellable. My flight is scheduled for Apr 26 and I’m hoping they cancel it. Of they don’t luckily it was only 10kmiles and $12
You cancel and pay the $150 to redeposit if you want the miles back
In any case, if you cancel, you can get the $11.20 in security fees back, even if you don't want to pay to get the miles
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:52 pm

I had DFW-FLL on 4/24 and FLL-DFW on 5/3 that were booked in November on Economy Web Special Awards. I called tonight (4/21) to cancel both legs, and the agent quickly said they would wave the redeposit fee. She cancelled, redeposited the miles, waived the fees, and also returned the $11.20 per locator to me.

I did not cancel beforehand online - I was on the phone less than 4 minutes with the very helpful agent. Sad to cancel the trip but pleased with the quick refund experience.

Last edited by kjrailfan; Apr 21, 2020 at 7:53 pm Reason: clarity to the post
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Isnt a cancel and redeposit free for EXP anyway? I have a web special award booked but was counting on being able to cancel based on the fluid nature of the schedules these days (late May).
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Isnt a cancel and redeposit free for EXP anyway? I have a web special award booked but was counting on being able to cancel based on the fluid nature of the schedules these days (late May).
Attached Images  
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
economy web special: redeposit miles for virus-related reasons?

Apologies as I couldn't find this and am not sure which thread to put it in as it touches a couple different topics.

If I were to book a trip on miles for this summer and select the economy web saver rate, am I covered by the current protections for tickets purchased by the end of May. Just curious what would happen if we need to cancel the trip because of a virus related reason? It says that there would be a fee to reinstate the miles. What is that fee normally?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ksucats
Apologies as I couldn't find this and am not sure which thread to put it in as it touches a couple different topics.

If I were to book a trip on miles for this summer and select the economy web saver rate, am I covered by the current protections for tickets purchased by the end of May. Just curious what would happen if we need to cancel the trip because of a virus related reason? It says that there would be a fee to reinstate the miles. What is that fee normally?
A search of "web special" revealed this very relevant thread from this month which I believe answers your questions.

The mileage reinstatement fee is the same for web specials as normal awards: $150 per ticket + $25 for each subsequent ticket reinstated to the same account at the same time. That is until the new fees kick in on June 1.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...hangeable.html
ksucats likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Thank you. I am getting ready to book a trip for the family and am glad to know that web specials are included if we need to cancel because of Covid.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by kjrailfan
I had DFW-FLL on 4/24 and FLL-DFW on 5/3 that were booked in November on Economy Web Special Awards. I called tonight (4/21) to cancel both legs, and the agent quickly said they would wave the redeposit fee. She cancelled, redeposited the miles, waived the fees, and also returned the $11.20 per locator to me.

I did not cancel beforehand online - I was on the phone less than 4 minutes with the very helpful agent. Sad to cancel the trip but pleased with the quick refund experience.
I cancelled online (DCA-TPA in May) and then called. All I said was that I wanted to get my miles reinstated. She did that (with no redeposit fee) and voluntarily refunded my $11.20 as well.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:13 am

Read the section:

Waiving award reinstatement and change fees for award bookings

www.aa.com/programupdates.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
with things looking more favorable. i was considering booking some web special AAwards. If i book now before 5/30, for a flight in mid-July, would i be able to cancel (get miles back w/o paying fees) in early July if I felt it was not safe for me to fly? It's somewhat unclear to me.

AA talks about waived fees for eligible flights, but then on the table they show only EXP get fees waived for cancel within 7 days.

This year in a regular AA member, but currently gold status due to a free extension till 5/30.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta. AA, National EE, HH
Big YMMV

I booked a web special award for my family of 5 on March 5th.
Non-stop Phoenix to Newark for 12000 miles each. June 20th return June 29th.

This past Sunday when June schedule changes rolled out there are now zero non-stop from Phoenix to Newark. My flight change from a 5 p.m. arrival to a after 10 p.m. arrival with a stop

I actually live in Tucson but was willing to drive to Phoenix for the nonstop and there was nothing even close at that mileage redemption through Tucson.

After the schedule change I called and was rerouted leaving and coming back to Tucson arriving 18 minutes after my original arrival time. Absolutely no push back nor any talk of any extra fees or miles etc.
Once I cut out the drive to Phoenix or having to pay to go up the night before and stay in a hotel this is a big win-win for me.

Big Kudos to AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.