Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Status Challenge - Purchased, Refunded due to Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:49 am
Original Poster

In early February 2020, suddenly needed to travel to several places. Was worrying about the high extra baggage charges for my over 40kg bags.

I signed up for an AAdvantage account a few days before the first flight, then called the hotline, paid USD 500 for Platinum status challenge with immediate status. I travelled with CX and was able to enjoy the OW Sapphire benefits including lounge access and extra baggage allowance. It was much cheaper than paying for the extra bags.

I was planning to complete the challenge and earn the status. However, COVID-19 incident makes me unable to travel and not possible for me to complete the challenge by early May.

I wrote to AA and requested a refund. They replied in one day and approved my request. No hassle at all.

Just sharing my experience in case any flyertalkers joined the challenge at this difficult time.
JDiver and aztimm like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I have been exceedingly impressed by the way AA is responding to the Covid-19 challenge. The refund for your challenge is a great example. My flying is reduced now, but when I do, I feel very safe on AA. Unfortunately the lack of passengers is enforcing Social Distancing to an extreme. I was on a flight from Columbia Missouri to Chicago last Friday and was the only passenger on the plane. On my connecting flight to San Diego, the passengers were spread out throughout the plane. Drinks in first class are now served in disposable cups to reduce infection changes (my paper coffee cup held up all the way from Chicago to San Diego), on the longer flights that have meals in first the passenger unwraps the meal to keep human contacts to the minimum. I can't wait to get back to normal, but in the meantime, I have no fear of flying on AA.
IflyonAA likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
Uhm, nani tf?? I called, TWICE. In later March, before my challenge started Mar 29. Both times they told me some bs like how the system won't let them or whatever. F'cking AA. Definitely sticking with Delta after all this blows over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.