Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: With Alaska’s joining one world and changes in AAdvantage earnings and benefits as of 31 March 2021, the discussion has been closed and appropriate posts moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2036999-american-alaska-earnings-elite-benefits-31-mar-2021-a.html
: With Alaska’s joining one world and changes in AAdvantage earnings and benefits as of 31 March 2021, the discussion has been closed and appropriate posts moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2036999-american-alaska-earnings-elite-benefits-31-mar-2021-a.html[/quote]

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are working together to become closer and more integrated partners with the addition of mileage accrual across both airlines. As Alaska Airlines prepares to join Oneworld in 2021, Alaska and American are expanding codeshare agreements and providing frequent flyers of both programs to once again earn and redeem miles. Starting April 1, 2020 all flights on either airline can earn miles (award and elite qualifying, as of an April 7 update to the AA web site) for the other airline’s frequent flyer program.

NOTE: Significant numbers of AAdvantage members are reporting excessive time lags or other difficulties with AA miles earned flying Alaska posting in an easy and timely manner.

AA and AS had previously agreed to cease all mileage and codeshare agreements as of March 1, 2020.

link to AA page

link to Travel Codex article

Print Wikipost

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by freeagent
Do Skywest operated flights not count currently? It would seem odd if that were the case. I would be under the assumption that Skywest would be eligible for earnings given they're operating under the Alaska name.
There have been reports of issues getting AA credit for Skywest-operated AS flights, including customer service reps denying credit on appeal because Skywest is not listed on the AS earning chart. I too assume that it’s an oversight (complicated by the fact that AS doesn’t have a single regional brand like American Eagle or Delta Connection, a legacy of the strong brand currency of Horizon itself, especially in the many small communities in the Pacific NW in which Horizon is the only or dominant carrier and has been for a very long time).

I would think it would be trivial for AA and AS to sort this out with the simple addition of three words on the AA earning chart; the fact that they haven’t is odd and annoying.
freeagent likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brp
It was, but that's when it was mapped to a sort of F class. Even though called First, it's really Business. This is reasonable, but I had been looking at the AA Special Fares table where 'i" is 20% and fearing the worst. Likely unreasonable but, as I have a number of 'I' bookings I was being pessimistic

Especially after seeing the impact of the change on direct AS earnings.

Cheers.
Semantics! 98% of AA's inferrior domestic service is Business too, but called First.

James
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Quick question on short flights: does AA do the EQD/EQM calculation on actual miles, or do they use 500 as the minimum like on their own flights? I'm seeing some routes that include SEA-PDX for cheap that could be lucrative if the minimum is in effect.

Also just btw, looks like AA now has the new post-march-31 earnings table up with the new fare codes. Everything looks as expected I think.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Quick question on short flights: does AA do the EQD/EQM calculation on actual miles, or do they use 500 as the minimum like on their own flights? I'm seeing some routes that include SEA-PDX for cheap that could be lucrative if the minimum is in effect.

Also just btw, looks like AA now has the new post-march-31 earnings table up with the new fare codes. Everything looks as expected I think.
EQD are based on actual distance; EQM post with 500 mile min, IME.

Chart was posted by AA a couple of days ago.

Cheers.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by brp
EQD are based on actual distance;

Cheers.
Discounted F still gets the 30% multiplier, this is exceptional news.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EP
Isn’t the issue with Skywest in that Skywest can/does fly/operate for multiple airlines and one route could have an AS, UA, and AA flight number — at least they did in the past? That is why I understand that they have a regional affiliate name just for SKYWEST operated flights to differentiate them from Horizon.

there was some reason AS didn’t want to pay AA for miles on these flights.

Originally Posted by ashill
There have been reports of issues getting AA credit for Skywest-operated AS flights, including customer service reps denying credit on appeal because Skywest is not listed on the AS earning chart. I too assume that it’s an oversight (complicated by the fact that AS doesn’t have a single regional brand like American Eagle or Delta Connection, a legacy of the strong brand currency of Horizon itself, especially in the many small communities in the Pacific NW in which Horizon is the only or dominant carrier and has been for a very long time).

I would think it would be trivial for AA and AS to sort this out with the simple addition of three words on the AA earning chart; the fact that they haven’t is odd and annoying.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Isn’t the issue with Skywest in that Skywest can/does fly/operate for multiple airlines and one route could have an AS, UA, and AA flight number — at least they did in the past? That is why I understand that they have a regional affiliate name just for SKYWEST operated flights to differentiate them from Horizon.
I think that was in the past, I do recall seeing that. Skywest planes today are painted with AS or AA livery and at least in Southern California I have never seen either an AA or AS flight have other competing airlines also using the same flight.

Originally Posted by ashill

FWIW before AA stopped giving miles credit to AS flights (about 3 years ago) I had no problem getting AA credit for the AS Skywest flights. Not sure why it would be any different today.

Last edited by hbtr; Mar 13, 2021 at 11:19 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:54 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Advantage miles on Alaska

It used to be that I could redeem AAdvantage miles on Alaska. I'm not seeing any options to use my points to fly Alaska now.
Do you have to call to find award availability?

Or am I dumb and did I miss that they are no longer allowing that?

Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Alaska flights are still able to be booked online with Aadvantage miles. Its possible there's no inventory available on the flights you're looking for though. Make sure all airlines are selected when searching.
ranran likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:30 pm
formerly jackvogt

It seems like there is no inventory for many different dates, but there was a week ago. I just want to use my AAdvantage Miles to fly another airline other than AA
Old Mar 21, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
It used to be that I could redeem AAdvantage miles on Alaska. I'm not seeing any options to use my points to fly Alaska Stinow.
Do you have to call to find award availability?

Or am I dumb and did I miss that they are no longer allowing that?

Thanks.
Still there. I had a 12500 award from SEA to DAL before my cruise canceled.
What is the routing you are looking for?
After AS joins OneWorld at the end of the month, you will able to use elite status for seating and free checked bags
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:22 pm
formerly jackvogt

Originally Posted by mvoight
Still there. I had a 12500 award from SEA to DAL before my cruise canceled.
What is the routing you are looking for?
After AS joins OneWorld at the end of the month, you will able to use elite status for seating and free checked bags
ATL-SEA.
I see availability for a lot of May, but after that, it just disappears which is unfortunate.

Cash prices aren't too bad right now so I can't decide if I should wait and see if something changes or just go ahead and book.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
ATL-SEA.
I see availability for a lot of May, but after that, it just disappears which is unfortunate.

Cash prices aren't too bad right now so I can't decide if I should wait and see if something changes or just go ahead and book.
Makes sense. It is more popular in the summer
That said, the outbound fare from DFW was only $158 when I booked June 19
The return June 27 was much higher but there were awards for 12500
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Makes sense. It is more popular in the summer
That said, the outbound fare from DFW was only $158 when I booked June 19
The return June 27 was much higher but there were awards for 12500
Yep, almost certainly due to summer seasonal demand. If you look at the award availability calendar, there's no Alaska award availability from May 19th through August 23rd (based on non-stop flights). There's sporadic availability on Alaska showing on the calendar from August 24th onwards.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
Yep, almost certainly due to summer seasonal demand. If you look at the award availability calendar, there's no Alaska award availability from May 19th through August 23rd (based on non-stop flights). There's sporadic availability on Alaska showing on the calendar from August 24th onwards.
I would say it is more to do with the "placeholder" schedule beyond May 19th. I believe AS just updated their schedule into June. It might be time to check again.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.