Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: With Alaska’s joining one world and changes in AAdvantage earnings and benefits as of 31 March 2021, the discussion has been closed and appropriate posts moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2036999-american-alaska-earnings-elite-benefits-31-mar-2021-a.html
: With Alaska’s joining one world and changes in AAdvantage earnings and benefits as of 31 March 2021, the discussion has been closed and appropriate posts moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2036999-american-alaska-earnings-elite-benefits-31-mar-2021-a.html[/quote]

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are working together to become closer and more integrated partners with the addition of mileage accrual across both airlines. As Alaska Airlines prepares to join Oneworld in 2021, Alaska and American are expanding codeshare agreements and providing frequent flyers of both programs to once again earn and redeem miles. Starting April 1, 2020 all flights on either airline can earn miles (award and elite qualifying, as of an April 7 update to the AA web site) for the other airline’s frequent flyer program.

NOTE: Significant numbers of AAdvantage members are reporting excessive time lags or other difficulties with AA miles earned flying Alaska posting in an easy and timely manner.

AA and AS had previously agreed to cease all mileage and codeshare agreements as of March 1, 2020.

link to AA page

link to Travel Codex article

Print Wikipost

Earn AA Award Miles, EQM, EQD, EQS Flying Alaska / AS Again (as of 1 Apr 2020)

Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
I did. That’s why I’m confused by AA’s response. Are they off their rocker?
That was a response from AA? It’s obviously wrong. What was the question and in what context did they say that?

I wouldn’t worry about it; that statement clearly contradicts the written word on AA’s website, and it wouldn’t be the first time a customer service agent has said something incorrect.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Guess I’ll need to wait to book that ANC flight on AS!

Hello! American Airlines is currently not offering Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) or Miles (EQM) for flights on Alaska Airlines. Hopefully once Alaska joins OneWorld this will change. In the meantime, to earn EQD and EQM the airline must be sold with an AA flight number.
Tweet that response publicly at AA along with this link: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Request an apology and a commitment to properly training AAgents. The misinformation is flagrant and in writing, so you have them over a barrel. Make the most of it.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:16 am

So perhaps this is QR style, reliably posting once weekly (and very Wednesday)?
Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ashill
That was a response from AA? It’s obviously wrong. What was the question and in what context did they say that?

I wouldn’t worry about it; that statement clearly contradicts the written word on AA’s website, and it wouldn’t be the first time a customer service agent has said something incorrect.
here was my question.

Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Pretty bad when us air travelers know the rules of any given airline more than the actual customer service people of their own airline they work for.
ashill and donotblink like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by safari ari
Pretty bad when us air travelers know the rules of any given airline more than the actual customer service people of their own airline they work for.
True, but even in the old days you would have to call again to get the right answer.
ashill and donotblink like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked them to please re-check their info.

“Allow us to double-check this! We can see here: http://bit.ly/AADV_PARTNERS as of 04/01/20 last year, you can earn EQMs, EQDs, and EQSs. We sincerely apologize for this previous advisement.”
Old Feb 6, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
Yes, it’s pretty bad and frustrating. But at the same time, there was no real reason to ask in the first place: it’s clearly stated on the web site that AS flights earn RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs, and there are plenty of reports of agents (not just at AA and not just at airlines) making incorrect statements like this. You could write a book with the stories of FAs enforcing rules that don’t exist (whether deliberately making up a rule or simply making a mistake). Humans make mistakes.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
No -- AA's EQD is based on dollars spent, so $100 (pretax) = 100 EQD

But AS's EQD is a percentage of mileage flown. So regardless of whether you spend $100 or $500, a 2,000-mile flight will get you 700 EQD (in F) or 600 EQD (in P or I).

From DCA, I could fly DCA-SEA-ANC-SEA-DCA for ~$900 in actual spend. But it's 7,554 miles flown, x 0.30, gets me 2266 EQD. I'm sure there are better examples but I actually looked into doing this because I'm almost certainly going to be at an EQD deficit this year. (I wouldn't do it as a mileage run... but I would consider buying an F ticket on AS to visit Alaska this year instead of flying AA, because of the extra EQD.)
I'm gonna be in an EQD deficit this year as well, to get to Platinum Pro. I have a family trip to CUN later this spring, so I think I'll fly AS F DCA-SEA-CUN-LAX-DCA for a ton of EQDs. :-)
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I'm gonna be in an EQD deficit this year as well, to get to Platinum Pro. I have a family trip to CUN later this spring, so I think I'll fly AS F DCA-SEA-CUN-LAX-DCA for a ton of EQDs. :-)
Same here. I'm going to fly from Dallas to Houston.

Via LHR on BA.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
AS via SEA vs PHX on AA

SBA to SLC RT. Check my math to see if I understand please.

Just under 3000 miles thru SEA and 2014 thru PHX

First class, not sure of booking code, assume P or I, what comes up when searching on their site. Not full fare.

With AA thru PHX 4028 EQMs and 414 EQDs(most importantly) and AS obviously I have to calculate.

I’m calculating 30% x 3000 miles, $900 EQDs or just under and 1.5x EQMs? Is that correct?

more convenient times albeit riskier for weather issues so I’m thinking more EQMs but less per mile and many more EQDs make Alaska the clear winner, correct?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
SBA to SLC RT. Check my math to see if I understand please.

Just under 3000 miles thru SEA and 2014 thru PHX

First class, not sure of booking code, assume P or I, what comes up when searching on their site. Not full fare.

With AA thru PHX 4028 EQMs and 414 EQDs(most importantly) and AS obviously I have to calculate.

I’m calculating 30% x 3000 miles, $900 EQDs or just under and 1.5x EQMs? Is that correct?

more convenient times albeit riskier for weather issues so I’m thinking more EQMs but less per mile and many more EQDs make Alaska the clear winner, correct?
yup. I just flew FC. LAX-EWR-LAX on AS and was credited $1474.00 EQD’s.on a $535.00 FC fare. (30% x miles) I’d take the AS flight, hands down. Also AA posts the AS miles on Wednesday.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
The 30% mileage multiplier for EQD's may be worth it for EXP this year. I'm always there on EQMs but never quite on EQDs. Maybe an EQD "mileage run" in my future this year to a weekend getaway.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tack
yup. I just flew FC. LAX-EWR-LAX on AS and was credited $1474.00 EQD’s.on a $535.00 FC fare. (30% x miles) I’d take the AS flight, hands down. Also AA posts the AS miles on Wednesday.
Wow. I can fly dfw-sea-hnl for just over $1200 in F on AS but.....it's all 737's...that's a long way in a small plane. AS needs some heavies!!

ETA this would be a huge EQD earning!
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by chrisny2
AS F is super cheap now, though the seats are awful

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.