FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA biggest bonus offer yet (buying miles) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2014798-aa-biggest-bonus-offer-yet-buying-miles.html)

spliffstar69 Mar 31, 2020 2:01 pm

AA biggest bonus offer yet (buying miles) 100% bonus miles is back

Got an email, this program has returned. does the same sentiments remain?
just received an email from AA
When you buy 2,000 - 9,000 miles You get 50% bonus miles

When you buy 10,000 - 49,000 miles You get 70% bonus miles

When you buy 50,000 - 149,000 miles You get 85% bonus miles

When you buy 150,000 - 150,000 100% bonus miles.

With the current worldwide issues, we have now I'm wondering if this is an ok move?
I also have 2 new credit cards that I need to hit a minimum spend on unfortunately there not AA advantage to 3x the spend.
right now travel points are worth pennies but could this be a good future move if I buy this deal and get 300k in miles this may travel cost will be covered for years to come.
Also, airlines are hurting looking for cash and if bankruptcy comes to OMG.

Any Thoughts? Thanks in advanced

GunsOfNavarone Mar 31, 2020 2:04 pm

Yawn, just checked the cost to transfer 200,000 miles from my Wife's Aadvantage account to my account....... About $1200. Thinks I can spend $1200 much better elsewhere than consolidating miles to one account from two.

QueenOfCoach Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm

They have got to be kidding.

No way am I going to buy miles that I might possibly never use.

fotographer Mar 31, 2020 2:46 pm

when I saw the subject text in the email
"Our biggest bonus offer yet: I was all excited .... maybe AA was announcing what they were planning to do with their AA loyalty program.
then of course .. opened the email.. and deleted it .. all with one finger tip..

PHL Mar 31, 2020 2:50 pm

This wreaks of desperation for any possible revenue stream since everything else is basically dead. Think of all the revenue streams that have dried up for the time being....
  • Ticket sales
  • change fees
  • seat fees (MCE, preferred, etc.)
  • TOD upgrades
  • 500 mile e-upgrade purchases
  • baggage fees
  • Gogo internet(whatever portion of revenue they share in that)
  • In flight meals/beverages

No way would I buy any points in any kind of deal right now. It's hard to say how any of the US airlines will come out of the other side on this, even though Doug arrogantly said they would never lose money again in a year that he proudly boasted a net profit of around $3B. I suspect we'll see at least one go Ch 11 in the coming month or two.

QueenOfCoach Mar 31, 2020 3:39 pm

In the event anyone from AA is reading this thread, I will expand on what I said above.

Before anyone had heard of Covid-19, I have had a hard time using my existing miles.

What I want to do is get tickets to Germany from LAX and confirm a business class upgrade AT THE TIME OF BOOKING. I have developed arthritis and my client has agreed to pick up the cost of business class tickets, unlike the many prior years when I paid for tickets out of my own pocket. I am happy to use my Aadvantage miles for the upgrade.

I do not want to play last minute Upgrade Roulette. I want to confirm at the time of booking, even if it means I book tickets months in advance. I have been able to do this for a few years, but last year (Jan 2019) I was unable to confirm at the time of booking for flights in Nov 2019.

Because I had to pay for a Business Class ticket (rather my client did), I ended up with Platinum status this year. Yay.

And now because of the Covid-19 problem it is unlikely I will do much, if any, traveling this year. My entire job has pivoted to work-from-home. I sent a note to AA asking if my Platinum status could be extended another year, and got a namby-pamby reply. ("We are considering...") My Platinum status is officially useless and I will go back to my LT Gold in Jan 2021.

Thus: I don't see myself buying Aadvantage miles in the foreseeable future as I have to get through the miles I already have. Tough to do when I can't confirm an upgrade at the time of booking.

mvoight Mar 31, 2020 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone (Post 32251796)
Yawn, just checked the cost to transfer 200,000 miles from my Wife's Aadvantage account to my account....... About $1200. Thinks I can spend $1200 much better elsewhere than consolidating miles to one account from two.

This is not a transfer sale. Be easier just to use the miles from the account instead of transferring them.
I don't see the benefit of transferring unless you need a one way award that is over 400K, because anything less would mean you can transfer fewer than 200K miles from either account

baggyred Mar 31, 2020 4:24 pm

Can see a massive devaluation coming - not great for my stack of points i have accumulated

Gig103 Mar 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by PHL (Post 32251935)
This wreaks of desperation for any possible revenue stream since everything else is basically dead. Think of all the revenue streams that have dried up for the time being....
  • Ticket sales
  • change fees
  • seat fees (MCE, preferred, etc.)
  • TOD upgrades
  • 500 mile e-upgrade purchases
  • baggage fees
  • Gogo internet(whatever portion of revenue they share in that)
  • In flight meals/beverages

No way would I buy any points in any kind of deal right now. It's hard to say how any of the US airlines will come out of the other side on this, even though Doug arrogantly said they would never lose money again in a year that he proudly boasted a net profit of around $3B. I suspect we'll see at least one go Ch 11 in the coming month or two.

I am not a fan of Doug Parker and his "never lose money" hubris, but of the US3 I hope it's United that disappears. They're the ones who announced layoffs before the ink was dry on the CARES Act. Oh, and among all US carriers, I'd love to see ULCCs disappear, their model is what got the US3 to move to Basic tickets, and for Parker to Oasisify the planes.

cmd320 Mar 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 32252239)
I am not a fan of Doug Parker and his "never lose money" hubris, but of the US3 I hope it's United that disappears. They're the ones who announced layoffs before the ink was dry on the CARES Act. Oh, and among all US carriers, I'd love to see ULCCs disappear, their model is what got the US3 to move to Basic tickets, and for Parker to Oasisify the planes.

If anything the ULCC model is most of what you're going to get moving forward. ULCCs are generally in stronger positions to ride out recessions than legacy carriers with inflated labor costs and antiquated corporate structures.

MSYtoJFKagain Mar 31, 2020 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by baggyred (Post 32252208)
Can see a massive devaluation coming - not great for my stack of points i have accumulated

Just spent my whole stack. Couldn't have timed it better. Next to go will be partner awards.

jmw Mar 31, 2020 8:23 pm

I fear a furlough at my job at the other end of the 1st Covid-19 wave more than any AA devaluation. But I think the devaluation of partner rewards is coming.

GaryZ Mar 31, 2020 9:31 pm

crap!

allset2travel Mar 31, 2020 9:57 pm

I won't touch this with a 10 ft pole.

fotographer Apr 1, 2020 3:44 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 32252844)
I won't touch this with a 10 ft pole.

ok then ,how about a 15 ft pole?