FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA $20 one way Fares MIA-LAX! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2014746-aa-20-one-way-fares-mia-lax.html)

zenexplorer Mar 31, 2020 4:38 am

AA $20 one way Fares MIA-LAX!

What can possibly be the rationale for fares like this? With no advance purchase and available immediately. While it’s more than very unwise, there will likely be those who do mileage runs with this fare. Or go on a “fun” trip. Which flies in the face of all the hard work being done to get people to stay at home. And can result in infecting others. Why? Low fares for event/essential trips-ok. But so crazy low that it will stimulate incremental travel?

dave_261 Mar 31, 2020 6:06 am

Originally Posted by zenexplorer (Post 32250145)
What can possibly be the rationale for fares like this? With no advance purchase and available immediately. While it’s more than very unwise, there will likely be those who do mileage runs with this fare. Or go on a “fun” trip. Which flies in the face of all the hard work being done to get people to stay at home. And can result in infecting others. Why? Low fares for event/essential trips-ok. But so crazy low that it will stimulate incremental travel?

I fully agree. This article might offer some insight: https://viewfromthewing.com/13-cross...marginal-cost/

FlyerTalker688786 Mar 31, 2020 7:04 am

I agree the fare should not be that low. It somehow encourages unnecessary travel. As a personal opinion, I think airlines should have the normal fares during these times instead of these mini fares. [Normal fares is about $200+- I would say. $20 is just too low.]

ACYYZ/SD Mar 31, 2020 7:04 am

Even in times of crises, nobody can resist a bargain.

Be smart. Just stay home.

mvoight Mar 31, 2020 7:45 am

What if you have been stuck in MIA and your home is in LA?
What if you need to fix a problem in the other area?
As someone who supports systems needed for financial operations (A Homeland Security essential category), should should I simply stay at home and not go to remote locations which need work done? If I had done that recently, thousands of people would not have been able to work from home.

cmd320 Mar 31, 2020 7:49 am

Being that AA is in the business of making money, I would guess that they want to get as many paying customers on their flights as possible.

_fx Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

Mileage running now is silly. We’ve no clue what status requirements will be for 2021 (some hotels and airlines are already granting extensions), so it could easily be a total waste of $$.

Bars, restaurants, and major tourist attractions are all closing. Sure, you can take a leisure trip...But would it really be fun?

Non-essential Business travel is already suspended by most companies.

Who does that leave? People who absolutely must fly — to get home, to perform essential business, for a family emergency, to care for a loved one, etc.

In light of that, I think the low fares are nice.

ryan182 Mar 31, 2020 8:14 am

A mileage run would net you a few miles at best. Perhaps for OW members but for AA it’d be a pretty dumb MR

fotographer Mar 31, 2020 8:28 am

not sure on why so many airlines are offering low pricing., only they do.. but even with these great deals.. I myself, have no desire to go anywhere
what is the point.. everything is closed.. or on lock down, my clients across the country are at home.. can get a hotel.. etc..
now what would be nice is that..once everything is over.. offer some nice low prices ..

arollins Mar 31, 2020 8:28 am

Originally Posted by _fx (Post 32250591)
Mileage running now is silly. We’ve no clue what status requirements will be for 2021 (some hotels and airlines are already granting extensions), so it could easily be a total waste of $$.

Bars, restaurants, and major tourist attractions are all closing. Sure, you can take a leisure trip...But would it really be fun?

Non-essential Business travel is already suspended by most companies.

Who does that leave? People who absolutely must fly — to get home, to perform essential business, for a family emergency, to care for a loved one, etc.

In light of that, I think the low fares are nice.

The true meaning of mileage run is not leaving the airport, just turn back. Bars, restaurant and attractions are irrelevant.

ashill Mar 31, 2020 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 32250560)
What if you have been stuck in MIA and your home is in LA?
What if you need to fix a problem in the other area?
As someone who supports systems needed for financial operations (A Homeland Security essential category), should should I simply stay at home and not go to remote locations which need work done? If I had done that recently, thousands of people would not have been able to work from home.

As the OP said, if you’re in the very narrow category of people who need to travel, you need to travel you need to travel and should of course take the lowest fare available. But fares like this that stimulate non-essential travel are a different ballgame. But this is also why in a crisis like this, it’s on government to represent the needs of the society. Capitalism and competition — which lead to fares like this when there is so little demand — are great for economic efficiency, so it’s hard for me to directly blame AA here. But in a moment when most economic activity is dangerous, that incentive that is best throughout nearly all of human history is suddenly dangerous.

Fortunately, so few people are choosing to travel now that I don’t think these fares will actually stimulate much demand, and I’m not convinced that price controls of airfares are a useful road to go down.

<response to deleted post>

GetSetJetSet Mar 31, 2020 9:00 am

how far into the future are these fares available? If we get free changes/refund on bookings made now, might make sense to book a few of these months in the future and hope we're back to normal by then.

xliioper Mar 31, 2020 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 32250634)
A mileage run would net you a few miles at best. Perhaps for OW members but for AA it’d be a pretty dumb MR

MR's are almost entirely about status earning these days, not RDM's. Given that AA/DL still count flown miles for status, they can still have value on those airlines. However, as others have noted, with status requirements and possible extensions still up in the air right now, it probably doesn't make sense to chase additional status miles right now. Other than maybe on DL due to rollover MQM.

GrumpyYoungMan Mar 31, 2020 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 32250634)

For those that qualify on segments it could be quite lucrative. Barring an infection, of course.

Yes, yes, EQDs are a factor now too, but still...

diver858 Mar 31, 2020 9:46 am

Originally Posted by _fx (Post 32250591)
Mileage running now is silly.

My wife is 15k miles from 1kk --> LT Gold. Aadvantage program will survive in some form or another, lifetime status will be honored. Well worth the free access to domestic Y+, free checked bags, etc.