Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is American Parking its Big / Widebody Jets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is American Parking its Big / Widebody Jets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by AAway
Since ROW has scheduled service, wouldn't they just take the next flight back to PHX or DFW, like in your PIT example?
They wouldn't. From the description of "abandoned", "not currently used", "clear dirt and grass:, I assumed it was an unused airport.

But then I'm curious why there was a question of how a pilot would get home from an airport their airline serves. They do that every day.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pmiranda
TUL is not where I would park alot of planes in tornado season. DFW too. I know they do alot of maintenance there, but I would be parking them in the southwest US.
The odds of a damaging tornado hitting an area the size of a house in the tornado prone area of the US in a particular year are about 1 in 10 million. Adjust that to the area of a bunch of airplanes and I suspect the expected value of tornado damage (which actaull means the deductible and and increased insurance premiums), probably is a very minor consideration in comparing the costs of storage at various locations.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CPRich
They wouldn't. From the description of "abandoned", "not currently used", "clear dirt and grass:, I assumed it was an unused airport.

But then I'm curious why there was a question of how a pilot would get home from an airport their airline serves. They do that every day.
ROW is definitely not an “unused airport.” There’s regularly-scheduled American Eagle flights to DFW and PHX (like the previous poster said), even now...though most are being cancelled.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Delta and United have also been flying widebodies to ROW. Frontier is flying quite a few of their planes there today. Apparently, the storage fees at ROW are very low. Now if they started to take them to Pinal, I'd say the end is near.
$14 per day is cheaper than car parking in some places.
GaryZ likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I see they moved 4 757’s from TUL to ROW today. Not a wide body but that’s interesting.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Here’s a summary from The Points Guy. ROW / Roswell is generally the “bone yard”.

dciolli likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Not AA, but Frontier is making ROW very busy today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.