Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is anyone worried about their AAdvantage miles balance? (Ch 11, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is anyone worried about their AAdvantage miles balance? (Ch 11, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve been a road warrior since the ‘80’s and been through several airline mergers and bankruptcies and have never lost a single mile.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA went through chapter 11 less than a decade ago. Points and program survived.

​​​​​No reason to expect any different.
Yes, but less then a decade ago for example, you could easily find AA business class awards to Europe for 100K return. 10 years later I celebrate when I see an AA award for 200K return.

I am more worried about devaluation and cost cutting that the future will hold.
apeortdz and Gringa like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by aztimm
Was anyone a part of TWA's frequent flyer program? I'm assuming they had one. What happened to those miles? What about status?
I wasn't, but a number of old-timers here (possibly including @JDiver?) were. Miles and status were both absorbed into AAdvantage. Lifetime TWA Ambassador's Club members were only given ten years of complimentary Admirals Club membership, IIRC, which obviously did not make some people happy.
aztimm likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
That is true. When NW merged into DL and DL made Amex its sole CC partner, the bank NW used to run with (US Bank) kept its loyalty program mechanism alive with a new name... FlexPerks. The alternate-currency industry is very dynamic.
Not to mention Aeroplan, in which a fully functioning airline (Air Canada) separated its frequent flyer program first into a wholly owned subsidiary which was later sold off. More than a decade later, they clearly regretted that choice as they first announced a plan to disassociate with Aeroplan and form their own new program and then bought Aeroplan, but it shows that it can happen; it seems nearly impossible that no investor would see value in AAdvantage even in bankruptcy, and that value would go caput awfully quickly if AAdvantage miles lost all their value.

Now devaluations are another thing, of course; they are expected at all times, regardless of bankruptcy. If anything, bankruptcy reduces the probability of devaluations as frequent flyer program owners look for any incentive to get people to buy miles.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smilee
Yes, but less then a decade ago for example, you could easily find AA business class awards to Europe for 100K return. 10 years later I celebrate when I see an AA award for 200K return.

I have web special award booked in Nov 2020 in J to FCO and back for 110k miles on AA metal. There are still bargains if you have flexibility.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I would totally give up my miles balance to save one person's life.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm

Was anyone a part of TWA's frequent flyer program? I'm assuming they had one. What happened to those miles? What about status?
TWA miles were converted to American Airlines AAdvantage miles. I don't know about status.
Pan Am miles were converted to Delta miles.
Ansett (of Australia) points were lost forever.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Given that even in pre-COVID times my AA point balance was devaluing daily, no, I'm not too worried.

One should always seek to avoid large point balances (hard to do, I admit). In good times or bad, down is the only direction of their value.

The chance of an AA liquidation and/or termination of AAdvantage is such a remote possibility that it's not worth a minute of worry. And if it happens, chances are by then you have MUCH bigger issues about which to worry.

Loyalty program miles/points are universally stupid "currencies" to hold. Spend 'em as fast as you can.

This. Worry about that which is likely to happen.

Last edited by Herb687; Mar 25, 2020 at 4:16 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Well said.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Couldn’t care less....many more things to worry about.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Not concerned at all.

I used them all up already so very few left in my account.

I don't think the miles will disappear even in the worst case scenario. Someone will take over (another airline) as it has happened in the past when an airline has gone bankrupt
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm sitting on about 385,000 miles. No point in worrying though, it's not like I can use them to go anywhere right now.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Really?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

Things certainly can change, but they've changed when times were good too.

As for the business class awards, sure they were 100k but you had 7 across NGBC seats and Admirals Clubs for lounges. So yes, points went up, but so the the quality of what we got in return.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill
I wasn't, but a number of old-timers here (possibly including @JDiver?) were. Miles and status were both absorbed into AAdvantage. Lifetime TWA Ambassador's Club members were only given ten years of complimentary Admirals Club membership, IIRC, which obviously did not make some people happy.
That’s pretty accurate. My TWA Aviators miles were subsumed seamlessly into AAdvantage, fortunately, as I’d have lost over 500,000 miles. That’s when I found out about AAdvantage lifetime miles, iirc, because that put me over 1 million and LT Gold.
ashill likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.