Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seat blocking for Covid / Coronavirus (consolidated thread)

Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Relaxed seating policies — link

In response to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) social distancing guidelines, American will temporarily relax seating policies for customers on most flights and reduce onboard food and beverage service levels.

To encourage social distancing, gate agents and flight attendants will be able to proactively reassign seats to create more space between customers beginning March 24. Once on board — provided there aren’t any aircraft weight or balance restrictions — customers can move to another seat within their ticketed cabin subject to availability. American will also block 50% of all middle seats and all seats adjacent to Flight Attendant jump seats on every flight.
AANYC1981 and robertablake like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
wish AA would block the middle seats all the time
Gerbs, Eyenigma, AANYC1981 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by fotographer
wish AA would block the middle seats all the time
Way back in the day (like the days of the Bistro Bags, which is an unfathomable amenity in Y now), AA used to block the seats next to EXPs. They could still be sold, but they were the last seats to be assigned.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would think that if the airlines want to continue to fly during this they should be required to block off all middle seats. On RJ flights block off aisle seats.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AA2070
Way back in the day (like the days of the Bistro Bags, which is an unfathomable amenity in Y now), AA used to block the seats next to EXPs. They could still be sold, but they were the last seats to be assigned.
I do remember the good old days.. and I remember this when PLT was the old EXP
BA still tries to block the seat next to you if flying coach (as a OWE)..
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
With load factors these days every passenger will have an entire seat section to themselves.
Eyenigma likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Yes, I believe they referred to it as a 'courtesy block.' Back when I was a CK, I used to request this all the time. Naturally, loads 10 years ago are not what they were in 2019, where nearly every seat was taken. I've had luck, very occasionally, in asking the gate agent to keep a seat open, if possible, with mixed results.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Shortly after the merger, I remember flying on a few AA flights that had the middle seats blocked for elites. There was a tray covering the seat, so it would have been very difficult to seat a passenger there (you would have needed tools to take the tray out). This was in Oct 2014.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by aztimm
Shortly after the merger, I remember flying on a few AA flights that had the middle seats blocked for elites. There was a tray covering the seat, so it would have been very difficult to seat a passenger there (you would have needed tools to take the tray out). This was in Oct 2014.
While the aisle/middles were “premium” (non MCE) seats this was to keep the 737s at 150 seats for crew staffing. Perhaps AA is thinking about “blocked seats” in this way again for staffing. I think it was adding MCE that created the strange arrangement.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:57 am

heck you didn't even need to be Exec Plat. Before that tier was even created, you could get a middle seat blocked next to you even as a lowly gold
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Red face Please be patient during this difficult time

Originally Posted by JDiver

Relaxed seating policies — link

In response to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) social distancing guidelines, American will temporarily relax seating policies for customers on most flights and reduce onboard food and beverage service levels.

To encourage social distancing, gate agents and flight attendants will be able to proactively reassign seats to create more space between customers beginning March 24. Once on board — provided there aren’t any aircraft weight or balance restrictions — customers can move to another seat within their ticketed cabin subject to availability. American will also block 50% of all middle seats and all seats adjacent to Flight Attendant jump seats on every flight.
Agents will try to re-seat customers further apart, upon request, BEFORE boarding begins. Please don't try to do this once on the aircraft as 1) the cabin crew don't have the full system loaded on their tablets yet, so they can't tell you what seat may still be open, and 2) you the passenger, don't know where cargo is loaded on the aircraft (fwd and or aft cargo hold).

If you do want to change a seat, please ask the agent BEFORE boarding (should always be an option even before these times) if there is someone seated next/near you. With the much lower load factors on many flights, social distancing can affect weight and balance calculations for some aircraft.

Asking the Gate agent to change your seat before boarding, allows the computer system to ensure the aircraft maintains proper weight and balance during taxi, takeoff, and landing.
JDiver and Brandinho1 like this.

Last edited by sluggoaafa; Mar 25, 2020 at 9:55 pm Reason: had to add a smiley...lol
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
We can't sell the seats, so lets do some PR. It's all BS.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: Free Agent
Caveat - I don't think anyways save for critical employees (healthcare, etc.) and funerals should be flying. Also caveat that I'm glad I'm not running an airline right now.

WIth that said, AA has eliminated any food or beverage service on flights under 2200 miles as part of this. Delta has adjusted their food service to be pre-packaged snacks and meals, and bottled water. Two different ways to adapt to the changes and the CDC guidelines with two very different customer experiences.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by PBIGuy
Caveat - I don't think anyways save for critical employees (healthcare, etc.) and funerals should be flying. Also caveat that I'm glad I'm not running an airline right now.

WIth that said, AA has eliminated any food or beverage service on flights under 2200 miles as part of this. Delta has adjusted their food service to be pre-packaged snacks and meals, and bottled water. Two different ways to adapt to the changes and the CDC guidelines with two very different customer experiences.
Kind of what I didn't understand. Why didn't AA go with the old school lunchboxes (used to be part of the second Y service on transcons) that could be wrapped in plastic and disposed of afterwards?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I heard last night that domestic air travel was down 89% last week over the same week last year. I’m surprised it isn’t worse. In any event, if you’re still traveling, social distancing onboard is probably easy to carry off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.