Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-PHL
E175 Republic
<900 miles

No PDB (none expected), and nothing offered in the air. 1D/F have a marker around the seat saying crew use only.

FC FA helped himself to a cranapple drink from the beverage cart and ate lunch in 1F.

FWIW I could hear bottles (I’m guessing wine) clanking against each other in the beverage cart from 1A as we were taxiing around so it seems they’re still boarding alcohol on <900 mile flights.

This flight is so short I didn’t feel like pressing the FA for something to drink and just sipped on my Diet Coke from the terminal.

Nice that PHL restaurants allow you to still buy drinks and take them to go....LGA D Gates only had Starbucks and the news/snack stores open.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jun 3, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
FC FA helped himself to a cranapple drink from the beverage cart and ate lunch in 1F..
So let me get this straight. AA is cutting service on these flights because they believe serving customers drinks and food items put them at risk but they can poach a F seat and blatantly eat and drink away?

absolutely absurd.

I hope you tweet AA about this.
hurnik, cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
So let me get this straight. AA is cutting service on these flights because they believe serving customers drinks and food items put them at risk but they can poach a F seat and blatantly eat and drink away?

absolutely absurd.

I hope you tweet AA about this.
I mentioned up thread that the FAs served no food on a RDU-ORD flight last week but were eating bags of pretzels in the galley. I'm pretty sure lazy flight attendants is a tradition as old as aviation itself and it's not like a mere pandemic would change that.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I have an upcoming flight under 900 miles in F, so I sent a DM to AA on Twitter about the new policy. I initially heard back saying "This has been a difficult time to navigate through for everyone. We appreciate your feedback on this policy, and will share it with our Food and Beverage team." Interestingly, they messaged me back a few hours later (unprompted) saying, "We've heard back and we're happy to let you know alcohol will be served in First Class upon request on all flights."
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by msr0013
I have an upcoming flight under 900 miles in F, so I sent a DM to AA on Twitter about the new policy. I initially heard back saying "This has been a difficult time to navigate through for everyone. We appreciate your feedback on this policy, and will share it with our Food and Beverage team." Interestingly, they messaged me back a few hours later (unprompted) saying, "We've heard back and we're happy to let you know alcohol will be served in First Class upon request on all flights."
That's great news. I wonder if the website is right, or wrong, or if AA's Twitter is right, or wrong, or if anyone at AA is in charge of the message or if anyone at AA actually cares
msr0013 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
That's great news. I wonder if the website is right, or wrong, or if AA's Twitter is right, or wrong, or if anyone at AA is in charge of the message or if anyone at AA actually cares
Precisely...….
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
No one at AA cares. Many many many lazy disinterested FAs will just do whatever they want which is nothing
Old Jun 3, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by asnovici
No one at AA cares. Many many many lazy disinterested FAs will just do whatever they want which is nothing
I just need what the rule of the day is so I can have an updated screen shot for ammo.
brc757rr, cmd320 and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Well in fact I didn't consume "my own alcohol" onboard, which really was the alcohol AA provided me. If AA decides to cater alcohol in F that's their business decision. Not mine. And no I wouldn't change my flight for a drink. Most of the paxs in F don't want dry flights based upon the numbers that order adult beverages. And if you don't want to drink in flight I don't think you are being forced to. I see people drinking on morning flights. Certainly not my thing but I'm not here on FT yelling that AA shouldn't be serving booze at 8 in the morning.
Deflection. Deflection is an intense focus upon and antagonism toward the legitimacy of the actions, feelings, and beliefs of others, especially the partner, and an intense misdirection of attention away from the primary aggressor's actions.

Whether you purchased alcohol at the store or it was provided to you on a prior AA flight is irrelevant. Whether you consummed it or not is also irrelevant. Ultimately, you didn't answer my question. Did you complain when the F service on your flight where, you give praise, was not adhering to policy? If not, why? No need to answer, I think that is a pretty easy extrapolation.

I enjoy a Bailey's in my coffee on a 6 am flight. I never complained that AA is serving alcohol at 8:00 am and I don't have any issues with that. Keep in mind that with the international nature of travel, someone having a cocktail in an 8:00 am timezone may have a body clock still set at 5:00 pm. What I have issue with is people who want consistency until the inconsistency favours them.

James
WVmike likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
PHL-PHX
LUS A321
>900 and just under the 2,200 mile meal threshold.

Full PDB on the ground.

Bag with full sized water and snacks already at FC seats.

Once in the air:

Pass of the snack basket
Distribution of headsets (if you’re watching something on your device)

Full open bar beverage service

Many refills

Snack basket was out in the galley to help yourself along with full bottles of wine (to be served by the FA).

AA continues to have full wine bottles and not those YC wine splits like UA is offering in premium cabins.

Overall way better than Delta’s FC service or lack thereof.
enviroian, Abidjan, AAway and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Glad to hear there was amazing service. I've given an AApplause certificate each time the service has been excellent during this era. 1000 thanks to the FA's that continue to provide a proactive service in F. It is very appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcf27
Or better yet, either fly private or start their own airline catered to their tastes. They can even call it "BoozAir". Plenty of planes and pilots available....

Of course you could go the other direction and start something like 'ProhibAir'.... And you could throw in maybe a little church service in-flight
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kabroui
Of course you could go the other direction and start something like 'ProhibAir'.... And you could throw in maybe a little church service in-flight
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought flying and alcohol consumption were never a good combination.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I always thought flying and alcohol consumption were never a good combination.
You’d love DL these days! 😂
asnovici and jcatman like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It was a much better combination when they served better wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.