Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by CMK10
Recent travels:

10/11 BIS-DFW CRJ-700: Beverages on request only and the snack bag. Pretty disappointing for a long flight

10/11 DFW-RDU A-319: Fruit and cheese plate or the sandwich.

10/12 RDU-CLT-ATL A-319/A-320: Proactively offered Full drinks to F passengers

10/14 CHS-PHL-RDU CRJ-900/A-319: Proactively offered Full drinks to F passengers

10/17 RDU-CLT-DCA A-321/A-321: No service first flight, proactively offered drinks to F passengers

10/23 RDU-PHL A-319: No service at all. Annoying as this flight was delayed

10/24 PHL-DFW A-321: Proactive drinks and refills and fruit and cheese or sandwich

So what's the lesson from my October AA travels? it's still inconsistent but it seems to be trending a little more towards better service in F.
AA is at least trying, unlike DL...
cmd320, Magnum75 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
AA is at least trying, unlike DL...
Absolutely. I’m not one to compliment post-merger AA on much, but at present they put DL to shame. Even UA in most areas.

B6 is currently the shining star of North American air travel, at least as far as premium cabins go.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It's a pretty good time for AA to scale-up and re-instate hot meals on all flights longer than 2200 miles like they did between April & July.
I also agree with cmd320 as AA put both DL & UA in shame at the moment.

They were known as the worst among the US3 and now they are the best.
If the strategic B6 & AA partnership approves by the authorities, they would become the strongest within the USA.
cmd320 and robertablake like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Absolutely. I’m not one to compliment post-merger AA on much, but at present they put DL to shame. Even UA in most areas.

B6 is currently the shining star of North American air travel, at least as far as premium cabins go.
For medium-haul flights, I like the new UA sandwiches better than AA's to be honest, but their domestic hard product on A319/A320 and B737s is just awful and I tend to avoid UA
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Looking at the newly loaded 9:00 pm CLT-LAX on the 772 - is the 9:00 food cutoff inclusive of 9:00, meaning that this flight *should have the cheese plate/sandwich offering? Flight is coded as a refreshment flight on aa.com.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
Looking at the newly loaded 9:00 pm CLT-LAX on the 772 - is the 9:00 food cutoff inclusive of 9:00, meaning that this flight *should have the cheese plate/sandwich offering? Flight is coded as a refreshment flight on aa.com.
For a more accurate answer your confirmation e-mail, it would tell wheater a refreshment ( cheese plate or sandwich ) would be served or not.
I don't have a 900+ miles segment booked after 21:00 ( 9:00 pm ), though, here is an example screenshot where you could find the answer of your question.

EDIT: I tried to did a dummy booking on AA.com and for the 21:00 ( 9:00 pm ) CLT-LAX on a random date, it indicates that refreshments would be served, so you would be getting the choice between a cheese plate and a sandwich.

AAEmpireState likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
SLC-CLT in F today. Zero service of any kind, except the bottle of water, wet wipe, and cookie while boarding, 1700+ mile flight. Depart SLC at 0930. On the SLC DFW flights , 975 miles, AA provides beverage service and cheese package or chicken sandwich.

CLT ORF 300 mile flight today, full beverage service in F.

Fascinating.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
SLC-CLT in F today. Zero service of any kind, except the bottle of water, wet wipe, and cookie while boarding, 1700+ mile flight. Depart SLC at 0930. On the SLC DFW flights , 975 miles, AA provides beverage service and cheese package or chicken sandwich.

CLT ORF 300 mile flight today, full beverage service in F.

Fascinating.
Thanks for reporting your experience.
On the SLC-CLT flight, did you ask the crew if something other than the snack bag was loaded, or/and did they offer drinks upon request through the call button?

In normal circumstances, you should be served a sandwich or a breakfast box/cheese plate on that leg.
* Not sure when the breakfast offerings kicks out and the rest of day offerings kick in
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thanks for reporting your experience.
On the SLC-CLT flight, did you ask the crew if something other than the snack bag was loaded, or/and did they offer drinks upon request through the call button?

In normal circumstances, you should be served a sandwich or a breakfast box/cheese plate on that leg.
* Not sure when the breakfast offerings kicks out and the rest of day offerings kick in
SLC CLT is definitely supposed to have cold food options in F as you alluded to. I wonder if the catering company simply didn't load any of the meals or accidentally placed them in the Y carts? On a recent PHL PHX flight, the meals were loaded in one of the Y carts in the aft galley but the FA in F was excellent and she found them. The poor Y cabin crew was confused because they thought they weren't supposed to sell any food. lol
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
DFW-Hawaii (HNL/OGG) F catering remains pretty much unchanged except for the lack of Hawaiian nut mix, large salad, and ice cream sundaes. On the plus side, they now serve On The Rocks Mai Tais - which I believe is new.

-FlyerBeek

Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Wow. This all looks excellent and mimics the menu I had to Maui on March as the pandemic hit. Can't wait for my upcoming trip to Maui later this month and here's praying my upgrades come through!
Old Nov 2, 2020, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Looks awesome and can’t wait to go back to Hawaii now ❤️
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Yeah that looks excellent. Looking forward to DFW-OGG in December!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Agreed, that actually looks very decent. Better than what they're serving on premium transcons even.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed, that actually looks very decent. Better than what they're serving on premium transcons even.
Yes but to be fair, DFW HNL/OGG are both much longer than your typical 5-hr transcon so good to see AA making an effort even on leisure markets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.