Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AAir_head
A bit late, but... DCA-BDL over Labor Day weekend in paid F: beverage and snack basket service outbound (evening flight, even included PDB!) and return (early morning flight). Announcement pre-flight was "no service, please ask if you want/need something" but they proactively provided service in F.

As a contrast, DCA-CLE in UA in paid F over Columbus Day weekend--beverage and snack (pretzel) service outbound (early evening flight), but no service on return (early morning flight), though there was a "bundle" pre-placed in each F seat with a mini bottle of water, a Biscoff pack, and a snack bag of pretzels taped into a small plastic bag (didn't see if this was throughout cabin--if so, even more underwhelming).

I know 4Q20 flying is going to count for 2021 elite earning on AA, but it seems every time we've searched a trip we want to take AA is 1.5-2x the fare (or more) so we're free-lancing until end of year--next up is DL for Thanksgiving (HALF the cost of AA in paid F for a similar route--one stop thru ATL v. one stop thru DFW). At least we get to sample the competition, even though it's not nearly a useful comparison as things stand...

cheers and happy travels!
Enjoy the no ice, no food service in DL F.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AAir_head
A bit late, but... DCA-BDL over Labor Day weekend in paid F: beverage and snack basket service outbound (evening flight, even included PDB!) and return (early morning flight). Announcement pre-flight was "no service, please ask if you want/need something" but they proactively provided service in F.

As a contrast, DCA-CLE in UA in paid F over Columbus Day weekend--beverage and snack (pretzel) service outbound (early evening flight), but no service on return (early morning flight), though there was a "bundle" pre-placed in each F seat with a mini bottle of water, a Biscoff pack, and a snack bag of pretzels taped into a small plastic bag (didn't see if this was throughout cabin--if so, even more underwhelming).

I know 4Q20 flying is going to count for 2021 elite earning on AA, but it seems every time we've searched a trip we want to take AA is 1.5-2x the fare (or more) so we're free-lancing until end of year--next up is DL for Thanksgiving (HALF the cost of AA in paid F for a similar route--one stop thru ATL v. one stop thru DFW). At least we get to sample the competition, even though it's not nearly a useful comparison as things stand...

cheers and happy travels!
whats up with all the “paid F” references??

odd.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yeah, Delta isn’t the move right now for paid F unless you really want the seat next to you empty.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, Delta isn’t the move right now for paid F unless you really want the seat next to you empty.
Admittedly, I actually highly valued that feature when I had to take a solo trip recently.

First time I’ve ever intentionally picked the double seat side of an E175 when traveling alone, since I knew I’d have both seats to myself!

Agree that the service remained quite limited... AA is clearly doing a better job with that.

At least there’s a clear choice - maximum social distancing, fly DL, maximum service (as it exists right now), fly AA.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by enviroian
whats up with all the “paid F” references??

odd.
Not odd, just clarity with regard to my closing comment v.v. the cost differences I've been seeing in the handful of instances we've been traveling this year--I don't know/don't care how the fares compared in coach, so my reasoning for choosing other carriers isn't based on it. BE isn't worth the savings to me (yes, I'm aware of the recent changes, and the upcoming ones), we have been finding the premium for a discount paid F fare over economy fares isn't very much as long as we plan reasonably in advance, upgrades aren't a sure thing and we prefer F (so we're much more likely to buy it, even on another airline, especially this year), and our less frequent pattern of flying means buying F has better served our AAdvantage requalification needs for awhile now.

cheers!

Last edited by AAir_head; Oct 25, 2020 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I'm traveling with my wife, so no. If the seat map is any indication, DL isn't necessarily blocking seats since multiple other rows showed both seats taken--but maybe that's other couples. I'm not overly worried about it either way.

cheers!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Noted. That's what the "...it's not nearly a useful comparison as things stand..." comment was about. The service everywhere seems to be inconsistent and crew-dependent, so we're not really expecting that much. We do get to sample the "hard product", anyway.

cheers!
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
No limes available on my last two AA flights this week. My last FA was apologetic said they just received a memo saying no more citrus garnishes due to COVID. Seems a little bit late in the game, considering all the other U.S. carriers stopped carrying limes/lemons back in April. Curious if this matches other's recent experiences in F?

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
No limes available on my last two AA flights this week. My last FA was apologetic said they just received a memo saying no more citrus garnishes due to COVID. Seems a little bit late in the game, considering all the other U.S. carriers stops carrying limes/lemons back in April. Curious if this matches other's recent experiences in F?

-FlyerBeek
Sounds more like removing an olive from the salad than anything CV related. Have to add that to the list of self-catering items.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
No limes available on my last two AA flights this week. My last FA was apologetic said they just received a memo saying no more citrus garnishes due to COVID. Seems a little bit late in the game, considering all the other U.S. carriers stopped carrying limes/lemons back in April. Curious if this matches other's recent experiences in F?

-FlyerBeek
Is citrus a known vector of COVID or something?

Screams of being a 'what can we cut out and blame it on COVID' measure.

The first major to bring back full service will scoop up a lot of free agent business travel when it comes back imo.
FlyerBeek and cmd320 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The wiki at the top seems outdated. Just flew a 900+ mile flight CLT-OMA before 9pm and no fresh food served. I thought it would be a sandwich or cheese/protein plate. Has that changed?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The wiki at the top seems outdated. Just flew a 900+ mile flight CLT-OMA before 9pm and no fresh food served. I thought it would be a sandwich or cheese/protein plate. Has that changed?
Nothing has changed on the AA website (though we know that isn't necessarily the pinnacle of up to date information).

Is it possible this was either a miscater or a misinformed crew?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Nothing has changed on the AA website (though we know that isn't necessarily the pinnacle of up to date information).

Is it possible this was either a miscater or a misinformed crew?
It was an 839pm departure...maybe the cutoff is 830 not 9? Crew was great. I have noticed much more responsive and friendly crews over the past few weeks.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It was an 839pm departure...maybe the cutoff is 830 not 9? Crew was great. I have noticed much more responsive and friendly crews over the past few weeks.
Was this mainline? If not I think we know what the problem was.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Was this mainline? If not I think we know what the problem was.
Mainline, 839pm departure, CLT-OMA, water/cookie bags on boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.