Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
DFW - FLL - DFW: Both ways, all passengers were offered a packet with a small water bottle, hand wipes and biscotti.

During return, F cabin was also offered a chicken sandwich or a protein pack. Alcohol was also served. No service for Coach though.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
The protein pack looks inspired by the sad UA pre-covid protein pack breakfast. I guess thats the new normal
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by aj411
10/18/20 DEN > ORD J 9:00AM
Different kind of refreshment pack on board. Choice of sandwich (turkey croissant I think) and a Protein pack.
I chose the protein pack:
That meat looks.... interesting
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
That meat looks.... interesting
Yes, and not an appetizing interesting either.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
It was actually just your basic sliced deli turkey folded. Not a cut formed piece but actually sliced turkey. Not horrible.
I presume the nut butter was for the couple slices of apple but I didn't use it.
I liked the cheese in the cheese box a bit better (I think that had a smoked gouda or something similar) but this was ok

Heck, I was impressed that they were actually switching it up some
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by srikp
No service for Coach though.
This laziness inspired lack of service has to stop
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
This laziness inspired lack of service has to stop
But it probably won't, no matter how many times you post it over and over and over and over...

Regards
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The standard service is for Y nothing for flights less than 900 miles, a bag with a small bottle of water, snack, and wipe 900-2,199 miles, and a (cart) beverage service for those few domestic flights over 2.2K miles. No alcohol served in Y whatsoever. No BOB. So this isn't "lazy FAs" it's the service level AA has decided on. There are probably quite a few FAs that want to go back to the normal Y service and probably some number that like sitting on their butt for flights under 2,200 miles. Paxs can ask for a beverage in Y. I assume some FAs will fill the request, a smaller number won't.

There are rumors that the cart beverage service is returning but I believe no alcohol and presumably no BOB.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
The standard service is for Y nothing for flights less than 900 miles, a bag with a small bottle of water, snack, and wipe 900-2,199 miles, and a (cart) beverage service for those few domestic flights over 2.2K miles. No alcohol served in Y whatsoever. No BOB. So this isn't "lazy FAs" it's the service level AA has decided on. There are probably quite a few FAs that want to go back to the normal Y service and probably some number that like sitting on their butt for flights under 2,200 miles. Paxs can ask for a beverage in Y. I assume some FAs will fill the request, a smaller number won't.

There are rumors that the cart beverage service is returning but I believe no alcohol and presumably no BOB.
Can be a lot worse... like DL not even serving soft drinks or ice on any domestic flight in ANY cabin
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
The disappearance of Tab.
I can see that conversation going something like this:You:
You gonna order something, kid?

Marty McFly:
Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab.

Lou:
Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Marty McFly:
Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.

Lou:
You want a Pepsi, PAL, you're gonna pay for it.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Can be a lot worse... like DL not even serving soft drinks or ice on any domestic flight in ANY cabin
That's what's helping pay for those blocked seats
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fly747first
Be careful what you wish for....

AA CLT-PBI flight this past weekend. I cleared into R as EXP at 96 hours, having noted previously on Expert Flyer that only two spots were available in domestic First. The remaining seat was either a second upgrader or was sold in the last four days before the flight. At least 10 of the 12 seats in this updated A320 (electric power was a pleasant surprise) were revenue first or mileage first tickets. Not that such a cabin composition should affect the service offering, but it certainly was manifest in the expectations of the customers in the cabin.

During boarding, the two older ladies in front of me saw a F/A pass through the cabin holding several bottles of water. One asked her if they might have a bottle of water. The F/A said, I'll bring you some water after takeoff. A few minutes later, a different F/A made the preflight announcements including the following language, which I have never heard before: "There will be NO SERVICE in either cabin for this flight. If you need something, you may request it."

The older man next to me then griped to me privately, "I'm going to want a cup of coffee. I slept on my first segment, and I need my coffee." I said he should ask the F/A next time she walks by, and he did. She whispered something to him which I did not hear.

After takeoff, the F/A did prepare and deliver the two cups of water to row 2, and moments later returned with coffee to my neighbor in 3-C. As she was placing it on the shared tray, I asked through my mask if I might have a beverage. She made a "listening" gesture, and I continued, I'd like a white wine. That arrived one minute later. Meanwhile, the two people in 3-D and 3-F were observing this, and the man in the aisle asked for something. The F/A now stated, audibly, "I may as well do a beverage service." The pax in 3-F looked surprised, and said she didn't need anything after all.

As she returned from 3-D's drink delivery, the couple in 2-D and 2-F then got her attention for a beverage. Now she stated with some volume, "we aren't supposed to be doing ANY SERVICE." They both however were given drinks. During all of this drama, the whole row of pax in the first row were turning around and looking around. Some of them eventually got beverages, and I didn't hear any more commentary from the F/A.

She did disappear for the middle half of the flight, but when she returned, she offered me a refill and seemed to be more relaxed. The whole episode was bizarre, and seeing only her eyes (everyone was fully masked on this flight, as required), it was hard to tell if she was being ironic or actually irritated during her earlier comments. I could observe some of the pax' reactions, however. The women in front of me rolled their eyes, and the guy next to me was vocally grumpy about the minimal service.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Be careful what you wish for....

AA CLT-PBI flight this past weekend. I cleared into R as EXP at 96 hours, having noted previously on Expert Flyer that only two spots were available in domestic First. The remaining seat was either a second upgrader or was sold in the last four days before the flight. At least 10 of the 12 seats in this updated A320 (electric power was a pleasant surprise) were revenue first or mileage first tickets. Not that such a cabin composition should affect the service offering, but it certainly was manifest in the expectations of the customers in the cabin.

During boarding, the two older ladies in front of me saw a F/A pass through the cabin holding several bottles of water. One asked her if they might have a bottle of water. The F/A said, I'll bring you some water after takeoff. A few minutes later, a different F/A made the preflight announcements including the following language, which I have never heard before: "There will be NO SERVICE in either cabin for this flight. If you need something, you may request it."

The older man next to me then griped to me privately, "I'm going to want a cup of coffee. I slept on my first segment, and I need my coffee." I said he should ask the F/A next time she walks by, and he did. She whispered something to him which I did not hear.

After takeoff, the F/A did prepare and deliver the two cups of water to row 2, and moments later returned with coffee to my neighbor in 3-C. As she was placing it on the shared tray, I asked through my mask if I might have a beverage. She made a "listening" gesture, and I continued, I'd like a white wine. That arrived one minute later. Meanwhile, the two people in 3-D and 3-F were observing this, and the man in the aisle asked for something. The F/A now stated, audibly, "I may as well do a beverage service." The pax in 3-F looked surprised, and said she didn't need anything after all.

As she returned from 3-D's drink delivery, the couple in 2-D and 2-F then got her attention for a beverage. Now she stated with some volume, "we aren't supposed to be doing ANY SERVICE." They both however were given drinks. During all of this drama, the whole row of pax in the first row were turning around and looking around. Some of them eventually got beverages, and I didn't hear any more commentary from the F/A.

She did disappear for the middle half of the flight, but when she returned, she offered me a refill and seemed to be more relaxed. The whole episode was bizarre, and seeing only her eyes (everyone was fully masked on this flight, as required), it was hard to tell if she was being ironic or actually irritated during her earlier comments. I could observe some of the pax' reactions, however. The women in front of me rolled their eyes, and the guy next to me was vocally grumpy about the minimal service.
wow.

see post 1312.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, its pretty much the same for me. F/J bookings are mostly all going to AA. At the moment, other than B6 Mint, its the best there is for F product. Y on the other hand, DL/B6 all the way.
Same here as well. We're flying to TPA later this week and I abandoned DL (which I was flying mostly pre-covid) due to the cutbacks in F.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
MIA-CLT (the 772 service) J received a full proactive beverage service along with proactive service throughout the flight. Nice ride for 90' and I'd definitely do it again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.