Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Source:

Somehow, I don’t think it’ll actually make it onto the plane looking like that. But if it does I’d be pretty pleased, at least on shorter flights.
brewdog11, GrumpyYoungMan and DC9 like this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Actually it's pretty good. I'd take over the warmed up cafeteria food.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: HH Silver
So flying F from SEA-PHX and then to PVR, are they serving a meal, or just snacks? SEA-PHX is 1106 miles and PHX to PVR is 971 miles. Damn thing leaves at 6am, so hoping for breakfast on board.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
So flying F from SEA-PHX and then to PVR, are they serving a meal, or just snacks? SEA-PHX is 1106 miles and PHX to PVR is 971 miles. Damn thing leaves at 6am, so hoping for breakfast on board.
These should both be a sandwich/cheese and fruit plate option. No full, plated meal.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by tatterdema
For AM meals you will get a choice of likely a cheese plate or small continental breakfast. I think AA will serve the sandwich option from about 11AM on.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
For AM meals you will get a choice of likely a cheese plate or small continental breakfast. I think AA will serve the sandwich option from about 11AM on.
Indeed, the option would be either the fruit/cheese plate or a breakfast box.
The image for the breakfast box could be found in the trip report below on another website.

Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Ahh, yes, missed the breakfast component of that.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
I'm flying LAX to JFK this coming Friday. I'll be in MCE unless my upgrade clears (unlikely). 10am take-off; can I expect anything resembling lunch or do I need stock up before boarding?
My upgrade just cleared 48 hours out. So, now I have the same question, but I'll be sitting in J.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My upgrade just cleared 48 hours out. So, now I have the same question, but I'll be sitting in J.
J will get a one-tray meal service.
merlin90 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You should be able to login to your reservation and pre-order a meal now! Log out and back in and close your browser and re-open if it is not showing.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This post pretty much says the current state of airlines. When a PLAT clears a comp upgrade 48 HOURS OUT on a TRANSCON.

This time last year I couldn't get a battlefield upgrade DFW-MSY on a Sunday as an EXP. LOL

Enjoy!
cmd320 and merlin90 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
J will get a one-tray meal service.
Have done this trip many times and catering keeps getting mixed up. 10 am means the flight is supposed to be catered as lunch but several times now, the onboard menu lists breakfast so the cabin crew has to explain that the entrees options are for lunch, not breakfast.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Have done this trip many times and catering keeps getting mixed up. 10 am means the flight is supposed to be catered as lunch but several times now, the onboard menu lists breakfast so the cabin crew has to explain that the entrees options are for lunch, not breakfast.
Interesting and good to note. If I boarded expecting lunch and got a breakfast menu, I'd probably be pretty disappointed until the FA confirmed it was actually lunch.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
You should be able to login to your reservation and pre-order a meal now! Log out and back in and close your browser and re-open if it is not showing.
I see no such option, unfortunately. Maybe I'll give them a call.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro
So I realize I am probably a day early, but hopefully with the re-opening of Hawaii tourism tomorrow it won't take long to get an answer. I know DFW-HNL is getting a reasonably "normal" level of service in F, but how about the narrowbody service out of PHX-HNL? From my reading of the website I would assume they are getting meals and even bedding, however on a sample booking for next month it just says "refreshments," same as any other narrowbody domestic First flight lately. AA isn't really sending a plane to Hawaii for 7 hours with just a cheese plate are they?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.