Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old May 18, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
I’m on 2604 CLT-LAX in F in a few days, as this is under 2200 miles, I’m guessing there will be no food served, is anything open in CLT to bring on board myself?
I wish it was based on time not distance. 5 hours is a long time.

PHL-LAX is only 15-20 longer and gets a meal. Anything over 3 hours should.

Then again, this is still better than Delta 🙄
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; May 18, 2020 at 2:58 pm
Old May 18, 2020, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I believe Chick-Fil-A (closed Sundays of course) and Bojangles are open, along with the newsstands. Not sure about other things.
I saw a sandwich shop open down in the baggage claim area today. Might be worth stopping there before you head through Security. The pickins are slim still past Security.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
I’m really hoping to find a cold sandwich post security, as I’m connecting in CLT, fried chicken doesn’t sound too appealing in flight. Yes AA is definitely doing better than DL on in flight service right now when it’s delivered as advertised.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:50 pm

I think the airlines will use this convenient excuse to halt food and beverage service in the future, although it hasn't been anything to brag about for years. They have even dumbed down Hawaii service to a bus ride.
Old May 18, 2020, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
I’m really hoping to find a cold sandwich post security, as I’m connecting in CLT, fried chicken doesn’t sound too appealing in flight. Yes AA is definitely doing better than DL on in flight service right now when it’s delivered as advertised.
My recent flight was extremely pleasant.....I almost wanted to hug my FAs (obviously knowing that is not cool these days).
Old May 18, 2020, 7:00 pm

Better than delta?!
Old May 18, 2020, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Better than delta?!
how did you know? Lol
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
My recent flight was extremely pleasant.....I almost wanted to hug my FAs (obviously knowing that is not cool these days).
I can help but partially wonder if this is because the ‘grandmas’ (thanks Al-Baker) are sitting at home collecting their paychecks while the rest actually work... https://onemileatatime.com/american-...ndants-fuming/
Old May 18, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Mediocre service at best ASE-MTJ-DFW onboard Skywest/AA. Nothing was served until we were in the air between MTJ & DFW and FA barely said anything. The rear FA on the CR7 was the one who asked me if I wanted a drink, begrudgingly made by the FA up front.

BUT...

The FA on my DFW-PHX flight is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Non-alcoholic PDB offered before boarding, and then excellent, personalized service in the air BY NAME. An AAplause certificate will certainly be forthcoming! Also, this aircraft was upgraded from a scheduled A319 to a (pmUS) A321s, so I have an empty seat next to me. Thanks, AA! Now if only we could re-open those Admirals Clubs...
Old May 19, 2020, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by cmd320
I can help but partially wonder if this is because the ‘grandmas’ (thanks Al-Baker) are sitting at home collecting their paychecks while the rest actually work... https://onemileatatime.com/american-...ndants-fuming/
Actually IME it's been the older FAs (and I don't like using that term because many of them appeared to be 40ish) that would do the service in F while the younger ones either refused or only when asked (and then with attitude). Maybe because those 40 and older remember the bankruptcies, huge pay cuts, layoffs that happened 15-20 years ago and really don't want to live through it again.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:29 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Onboard AA1922 right now. After the safety demo, they made an announcement how facial coverings should be removed if the oxygen masks dropped and how there would be no service on this flight and as a safety precaution the flight attendants would remain seated.

I take a medication that makes my mouth extremely dry, even more so when flying. Seatbelt sign comes off. I use the lavatory and when leaving I step away from the galley and ask for a cup of water. Was told that there was no bottled water onboard and that I wasn’t allowed to be near the galley for health reasons.

Seatbelt sign comes on for landing, followed by a 5 minute Barclaycard spiel about how the card can be used for visiting “lovely Hawaii and Alaska” which was then followed by the Y flight attendants in the aisle actively passing out application forms. So hypocritical.
mrredskin and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by CLT
Onboard AA1922 right now. After the safety demo, they made an announcement how facial coverings should be removed if the oxygen masks dropped and how there would be no service on this flight and as a safety precaution the flight attendants would remain seated.

I take a medication that makes my mouth extremely dry, even more so when flying. Seatbelt sign comes off. I use the lavatory and when leaving I step away from the galley and ask for a cup of water. Was told that there was no bottled water onboard and that I wasn’t allowed to be near the galley for health reasons.

Seatbelt sign comes on for landing, followed by a 5 minute Barclaycard spiel about how the card can be used for visiting “lovely Hawaii and Alaska” which was then followed by the Y flight attendants in the aisle actively passing out application forms. So hypocritical.
Did you report all this to AA or just post here? The latter won't do any good.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Flew DFW-RSW 5/18. Bag with water and bag of cookies upon boarding. No PDB, but FA did come through F several times during the flight offering beverages.
mrredskin likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:39 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Did you report all this to AA or just post here? The latter won't do any good.
Sure did.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by CLT
Sure did.
Good. Thank you for keeping the pressure on AA to get their act together.

I have no immediate plans to fly AA and if AA surveys me as to why, I will be telling them that food and beverage cutbacks are one reason why I am in no rush to get back in the air. They probably don't much care but they should. I have very broad discretion as to how to travel, even for business trips. As long as I get to my client's sites when they need me to be there, they do not care whether I fly, drive, or walk or how early I arrive. When AA's service standards make it more appealing to drive 600 miles as opposed to fly, that's a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.