Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
Wiki Link
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin Ė includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

  • Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin Ė includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

  • Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access


Print Wikipost

Old Sep 21, 20, 8:56 pm
  #1141  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 81
For comparison, hereís what ORD-HNL is showing for meals. And thatís a 9 plus hour flight!
TheFlyGuy2 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 9:10 pm
  #1142  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 12,846
Originally Posted by TheFlyGuy2 View Post
For comparison, hereís what ORD-HNL is showing for meals. And thatís a 9 plus hour flight!
American hasn't yet updated their schedule for dates later than 4 November 2020. That's why the pre-COVID offerings are shown.
If the Hawaii quarantine continues by then, I guess that this route would not operate.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 9:49 pm
  #1143  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
American hasn't yet updated their schedule for dates later than 4 November 2020. That's why the pre-COVID offerings are shown.
If the Hawaii quarantine continues by then, I guess that this route would not operate.
Yes, the meals listed on the website are generally not accurate.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 20, 10:21 pm
  #1144  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 296

This was a photo i pulled from social media of the DFW-HNL flight. Looks pretty decent.
cmd320 and DC9 like this.
standbyalldtime is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 4:45 pm
  #1145  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 14
Just flew business class DFW-CUN Sept 14th and returned 18th. They had the cheese and fruit shown in the pic in post 1118 of this thread and turkey sandwiches both directions. I swear the cheese tray looked larger than what is shown in that photo. Both directions they handed out goodie bags with a half size bottle of water, mini pretzels in the smaller size individual bags, and a hand sani towelette as we entered the plane.

They did beverage service for the entire airplane on the flight down. Just started in the front and ran through the whole airplane. A different flight attendant pulled the curtain closed after they finished in Business then went round giving everyone the option of a sandwich or the cheese tray.

On the way back they announced no beverage service after the last person entered the plane before everyone had even set down. They were also announcing no food pick up something in the airport before you leave just before boarding started. They pulled the curtain on Business class and did drinks followed by giving everyone the option to have a sandwich or the cheese tray. One of the flight attendants marched up and down the aisle quite a bit. At one point I had just taken a drink of my drink and set it aside. I had my hands full and she shouted at me to get my mask on with an extremely pissed off look on her face. I ended up not finishing my soda just to not deal with her. She also managed to seem offended when I tossed the 2/3 full cup in the trash when she passed through collecting trash. I got the feeling she had had it with push back over masks so I wasn't mad just mentioning it to point out a lot of folks are still stressing over Covid and all this mask business.
TravelFu is offline  
Old Sep 22, 20, 4:52 pm
  #1146  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,344
Originally Posted by TravelFu View Post
Just flew business class DFW-CUN Sept 14th and returned 18th. They had the cheese and fruit shown in the pic in post 1118 of this thread and turkey sandwiches both directions. I swear the cheese tray looked larger than what is shown in that photo. Both directions they handed out goodie bags with a half size bottle of water, mini pretzels in the smaller size individual bags, and a hand sani towelette as we entered the plane.

They did beverage service for the entire airplane on the flight down. Just started in the front and ran through the whole airplane. A different flight attendant pulled the curtain closed after they finished in Business then went round giving everyone the option of a sandwich or the cheese tray.

On the way back they announced no beverage service after the last person entered the plane before everyone had even set down. They were also announcing no food pick up something in the airport before you leave just before boarding started. They pulled the curtain on Business class and did drinks followed by giving everyone the option to have a sandwich or the cheese tray. One of the flight attendants marched up and down the aisle quite a bit. At one point I had just taken a drink of my drink and set it aside. I had my hands full and she shouted at me to get my mask on with an extremely pissed off look on her face. I ended up not finishing my soda just to not deal with her. She also managed to seem offended when I tossed the 2/3 full cup in the trash when she passed through collecting trash. I got the feeling she had had it with push back over masks so I wasn't mad just mentioning it to point out a lot of folks are still stressing over Covid and all this mask business.
I am mentally adding up another L in your username and itís giving me anxiety lol.
RJ1, LCSinTexas and TangoOneSeven like this.
AANYC1981 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 20, 7:58 pm
  #1147  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,229
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I am mentally adding up another L in your username and itís giving me anxiety lol.
I'm adding another N in the name of previous fun flying times before Covid
cmd320 likes this.
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 11:00 am
  #1148  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 11,182
I have six flights this week; moved all of them to Delta. Not dealing with FA negativity this week over furloughs and not following service policy. We have ALL lost work and career opportunities because of this. Airline crew do not get extra sympathy for that (although I do have sympathy for what they're going through, but many of us didn't have six months to plan another work option like they did). Hopefully after 10/2, service slowly improves.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 11:50 am
  #1149  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,229
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I have six flights this week; moved all of them to Delta. Not dealing with FA negativity this week over furloughs and not following service policy. We have ALL lost work and career opportunities because of this. Airline crew do not get extra sympathy for that (although I do have sympathy for what they're going through, but many of us didn't have six months to plan another work option like they did). Hopefully after 10/2, service slowly improves.
You moved your flights to DL where their FAs are allegedly threatening to unionize if they are required to serve ice and soft drinks on domestic flights? Right now, AA and UA have brought back meals whilst DL isn't even serving ice. Good luck flying them.
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 11:56 am
  #1150  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 12,809
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I have six flights this week; moved all of them to Delta. Not dealing with FA negativity this week over furloughs and not following service policy. We have ALL lost work and career opportunities because of this. Airline crew do not get extra sympathy for that (although I do have sympathy for what they're going through, but many of us didn't have six months to plan another work option like they did). Hopefully after 10/2, service slowly improves.
To be honest, in my recent travels which have been pretty evenly split between DL and AA, I've been having more engaging and pleasant crews on AA. I'm not sure why, though it's a real shift from my experience last year.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 12:02 pm
  #1151  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
You moved your flights to DL where their FAs are allegedly threatening to unionize if they are required to serve ice and soft drinks on domestic flights? Right now, AA and UA have brought back meals whilst DL isn't even serving ice. Good luck flying them.
Yeah, something about cutting off nose despite face...LOL. Also, in your (very funny) signature, you need a space between "Under" and "Achiever", or you need to remove the space between the others. OCD...
cmd320 likes this.
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 12:06 pm
  #1152  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
To be honest, in my recent travels which have been pretty evenly split between DL and AA, I've been having more engaging and pleasant crews on AA. I'm not sure why, though it's a real shift from my experience last year.
Likely unionization fever on DL, whereas AA has been unionized long enough to know the truth about being in the union.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 12:18 pm
  #1153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,229
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Yeah, something about cutting off nose despite face...LOL. Also, in your (very funny) signature, you need a space between "Under" and "Achiever", or you need to remove the space between the others. OCD...
Awww thanks! I'm good though... I intentionally have it as UnderAchiever to highlight how UA pretty much redefines extreme underachieving behavior, e.g., spending lots of $$$$ for new plates only to soon discover that these failed to endure cold temperatures and they ended up serving sundaes in Dixie cups for a while. It's like the airline's dream as a child was basically "when I grow up, I'm going to underachieve in everything I do!" Well little UA, dreams can really come true!
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 12:20 pm
  #1154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 11,182
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
You moved your flights to DL where their FAs are allegedly threatening to unionize if they are required to serve ice and soft drinks on domestic flights? Right now, AA and UA have brought back meals whilst DL isn't even serving ice. Good luck flying them.
DL FAs may not have much to serve right now, but they are hands-down the friendlier and more consistent of the two airlines. I fly both regularly, but DL FAs are not being furloughed, so yes, I moved my business away from AA to avoid the contemptuous period the next week will bring to cabin crew emotions (which I get, but just am tired of dealing with when we're all going through it too so don't take it out on the people paying your salary).

AA FAs are pretending to avoid service protocol on 4 hours flights (on the ones I have been on, twice only Y got the bags with water, F got nothing except on request drinks) so I would rather know what I am getting on DL 100% consistency rather than AA 25% consistency.
SkyTeam777 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 20, 12:30 pm
  #1155  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 7,344
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
DL FAs may not have much to serve right now, but they are hands-down the friendlier and more consistent of the two airlines. I fly both regularly, but DL FAs are not being furloughed, so yes, I moved my business away from AA to avoid the contemptuous period the next week will bring to cabin crew emotions (which I get, but just am tired of dealing with when we're all going through it too so don't take it out on the people paying your salary).

AA FAs are pretending to avoid service protocol on 4 hours flights (on the ones I have been on, twice only Y got the bags with water, F got nothing except on request drinks) so I would rather know what I am getting on DL 100% consistency rather than AA 25% consistency.
Sorry to hear about this.....Iíve had the exact opposite experience recently on AA....I even heard my FC FAs discussing their furlough but still providing nice service and fresh meals in FC. Enjoy those DL snack boxes lol.
AANYC1981 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread