Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Interesting....there’s an AA FA who’s trying to be a social media influencer and was posting pics from having to work the CLT-LAS-CLT segments recently and complaining about the type of passengers on this route that she keeps encountering, but also whining about being furloughed soon.

Maybe this was the type of crew you encountered?
Still no excuse. It isn't the passengers' fault that some crew are being furloughed.
enviroian, wrp96, CLT and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Still no excuse. It isn't the passengers' fault that some crew are being furloughed.
Exactly. The passengers that are actually there are the ones who doing their best to save her job.

If she wants to have an attitude with someone, have it with her union who decided that FA’s value are reduced to simply a number on a seniority list.
enviroian, fly747first and CLT like this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by CLT
At a curiosity, how were the loads on the flight?

I think AA's CLT-YYZ is the only mainline flight into Canada by a US carrier at this moment.
F was 100% (8/8). Judging from the seat map at boarding time Y was around 75%.
CLT likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/19 AA 2670 BWI-CLT 737-800: No service in Y, no proactive service in F. I rang the button and got a drink and then a few others did too
9/19 AA 2077 CLT-PIT A-319: No service in either cabin
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated the Wiki which was quite outdated with what the current service offerings are.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by cmd320
Updated the Wiki which was quite outdated with what the current service offerings are.
Thank you. I don't see Hawaii flights on there. Do they align with Premium Transcons these days? For both DFW flights and LAX flights, or are those different?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Thank you. I don't see Hawaii flights on there. Do they align with Premium Transcons these days? For both DFW flights and LAX flights, or are those different?
Sorry, yes they are supposed to align with flights over 2,200 miles. I've gone ahead and just updated it to reflect what is written on the AA website, however their description of 2,200+ is a bit misleading as meals were discontinued on all of those flights except the premium transcons and I believe Hawaii flights.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Sorry, yes they are supposed to align with flights over 2,200 miles. I've gone ahead and just updated it to reflect what is written on the AA website, however their description of 2,200+ is a bit misleading as meals were discontinued on all of those flights except the premium transcons and I believe Hawaii flights.
So they align with Premium Transcon or the regular >2200 mile flights?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So they align with Premium Transcon or the regular >2200 mile flights?
I believe they're sort of their own category, though I haven't flown Hawaii flights so I'm not 100% sure. I think they do receive a meal, but I don't think it's four choices like you have on a premium transcon.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:50 am
Suspended

I believe they're sort of their own category, though I haven't flown Hawaii flights so I'm not 100% sure. I think they do receive a meal, but I don't think it's four choices like you have on a premium transcon.
Interesting. Let’s see what others say.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
I flew DFW-BJX (Mexico)-DFW this weekend. Both on Envoy's E175, flight time of 2 hours, and onboard their Regional Business class. I had 2 completely opposite experiences on both flights.

On the DFW-BJX leg, the flight attendant stated that no service would be provided on this flight, she did not proactively offer any drinks or snacks to business class passengers.

On my return flight, I had probably what I'd consider my most detail conscious flight attendant I've ever had. During boarding, he turned on all the reading lights in first (you never see this on an E-jet). He directed every single passenger to his seat (trust me, not a single passenger passed through that door without having to say what their seat was). He also asked us to keep our FA call buttons on, since when pressed, these buttons trigger a set of blue lights throughout the cabin, which technically worked as mood lighting (especially with this being a 6AM flight), by far one of the smartest thing I've noticed a regional FA do, made the cabin just a tad-bit relaxing. He took drink orders in first prior to pushback, which he delivered, offering refills once towards the end of the 2 hour flight. As we passed 10,000ft on the descent, he passed out to the 4 of us in business one of the plastic snack bags (had no idea those were even stocked).
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty similar to transcon meals, except that even the longest DFW HNL/OGG don't get amenity kits even though they are longer than premium transcon flights
Old Sep 21, 2020, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly747first
Pretty similar to transcon meals, except that even the longest DFW HNL/OGG don't get amenity kits even though they are longer than premium transcon flights
You mean similar to Premium Transcon meals? Is there a menu these days, like on Premium Transcons? Not sure Hawaii flights ever got amenity kits, even pre-COVID, but I'm not sure.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean similar to Premium Transcon meals? Is there a menu these days, like on Premium Transcons? Not sure Hawaii flights ever got amenity kits, even pre-COVID, but I'm not sure.
Sorry, not sure about menus but fairly certain that the meals are very close to premium transcon ones
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I flew LAX-OGG-DFW just prior to the lockdown (mid-March) and got menus on both segments, no amenity kits. Not sure if they are still offering menus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.