Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hudson News Nuts here. Sat down getting ready to take 21 back to dfw. I snapped a pic of my PDB. delish!!

77W from MIA?
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
LAX-DFW?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
77W from MIA?
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
LAX-DFW?
AA21 is LHR-DFW.
enviroian likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:42 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hudson News Nuts here. Sat down getting ready to take 21 back to dfw. I snapped a pic of my PDB ...
Not sure about your nuts or the PDB, but the knickers look great. 😉
enviroian likes this.

Last edited by DC9; Aug 21, 2020 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Does anyone have any recent experience with beverage service in FC on Mesa CR9s?

I just noticed that PSP-DFW is now all Mesa flights for the days I’ll be traveling and wondering if they’re as bad as these Republic flights that have been reported.

I can fly out of ONT on mainline for less miles and would just do a cheap rental car for that so weighing my options.

Now that some sort of meal service is back on 900+ flights I have less of a desire to trek to LAX like before.

Thanks!
I'd think it would be very FA specific so I'd just go with what's the best price and option. It think it was Mesa I was on a few months ago to DFW where the F FA made a point of telling me that she had no catering onboard. Five minutes later she opened the catering cart and poured herself a coke over ice.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
I'd think it would be very FA specific so I'd just go with what's the best price and option. It think it was Mesa I was on a few months ago to DFW where the F FA made a point of telling me that she had no catering onboard. Five minutes later she opened the catering cart and poured herself a coke over ice.
I would expect this to be the norm considering Mesa is a steaming pile of garbage.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cmd320
I would expect this to be the norm considering Mesa is a steaming pile of garbage.
LOL....I checked some other dates and mainline is back out of PSP to DFW on some dates and even with a 738 versus the A319 that seems to be everywhere in the system these days.....thankfully, I can avoid Mesa now 😂
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AA21 is LHR-DFW.
Duh, AA #21 , thanks... my bad!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:39 pm

Just got back DFW-DUB both ways this week. Full TR is a bit long so I made a separate thread here if interested.

Covid service cuts:
  • No PDBs or hot towels. Was offered sanitizing wipe before service on DFW-DUB, not on the way back.
  • Single tray service, as expected.
  • Everything was wrapped as expected. Bread was cold on outbound, heated on the return.
  • Plastic cups instead of glasses.
  • No hot option for second meal on TATL flights in either direction.
  • Didn't see the large format C O Bigelow shared products in the lav.
  • No more fresh mid-flight snacks (mini sandwiches, crudites, etc)
Positives
  • Alcohol/wine selection roughly same as before, though not a fan of the H Blin. Courvoisier cognac was still available, so the "Brandy and Liqueurs" section title is still accurate
  • Great service on both flights. Refills were offered frequently and proactively. FAs roamed the aisles between services to check on pax, despite load factor of less than 20 people each way.
  • Quality of the catering itself was exceptional, some of the best TATL J Class food I've had
  • Pajamas were available DUB-DFW (?!?!?)
  • Full amenity kits, B&O headphones, and the normal comfy Casper bedding were all available.
  • IFE now seems to have no ads before programs (!!)
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Any recent info on the SFO/LAX-JFK services?

I've grown tired of the cheese & fruit plates in F on two recent SFO-JFK flights. I tend to use PHL as a way to socially distance with family and friends as I am heading to my office/customer sites to support the company's COVID-19 testing programs.

Office in North NJ close to NYC. Going via PHL and JFK still has me being at least a 90 min. commute to office/customers.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Any recent info on the SFO/LAX-JFK services?

I've grown tired of the cheese & fruit plates in F on two recent SFO-JFK flights. I tend to use PHL as a way to socially distance with family and friends as I am heading to my office/customer sites to support the company's COVID-19 testing programs.

Office in North NJ close to NYC. Going via PHL and JFK still has me being at least a 90 min. commute to office/customers.
Shouldn’t SFO-JFK be getting the same full TCON product that LAX gets?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Just got back DFW-DUB both ways this week. Full TR is a bit long so I made a separate thread here if interested.

Covid service cuts:
  • No PDBs or hot towels. Was offered sanitizing wipe before service on DFW-DUB, not on the way back.
  • Single tray service, as expected.
  • Everything was wrapped as expected. Bread was cold on outbound, heated on the return.
  • Plastic cups instead of glasses.
  • No hot option for second meal on TATL flights in either direction.
  • Didn't see the large format C O Bigelow shared products in the lav.
  • No more fresh mid-flight snacks (mini sandwiches, crudites, etc)
Positives
  • Alcohol/wine selection roughly same as before, though not a fan of the H Blin. Courvoisier cognac was still available, so the "Brandy and Liqueurs" section title is still accurate
  • Great service on both flights. Refills were offered frequently and proactively. FAs roamed the aisles between services to check on pax, despite load factor of less than 20 people each way.
  • Quality of the catering itself was exceptional, some of the best TATL J Class food I've had
  • Pajamas were available DUB-DFW (?!?!?)
  • Full amenity kits, B&O headphones, and the normal comfy Casper bedding were all available.
  • IFE now seems to have no ads before programs (!!)
I hate to say it but the food looked better than it was in the pre-covid days.
standbyalldtime likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:37 pm

Shouldn’t SFO-JFK be getting the same full TCON product that LAX gets?

SFO-JFK F redeye meal service

it does. Even the redeye (which I've been on twice). The poster mentioned going through PHL though, so SFO-PHL would be just a cheese plate currently
Zacnlinc and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime

SFO-JFK F redeye meal service

it does. Even the redeye (which I've been on twice). The poster mentioned going through PHL though, so SFO-PHL would be just a cheese plate currently
Yea... Thanks... I've resisted taking the SFO-JFK flights to avoid the rush-hour traffic to get over to Jersey but do prefer that flight indeed. Looks like I need to go back to my routine of flying in via JFK and departing via PHL.

Cheers!!
standbyalldtime likes this.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Aug 22, 2020 at 10:01 pm Reason: updated content
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by KKinLA
I hate to say it but the food looked better than it was in the pre-covid days.
My thought process is twofold. With less meals to prepare at the catering facility, they are able to take care through the preparation process to make and present the dishes to a higher standard rather than rushing and slopping stuff on plates.

Also with less pax and lower load factors, the galley FAs are under less pressure and can make sure to follow reheating instructions more carefully, rather than during a busy service on a full flight where things may get left in the oven too long accidentally.

Whatever the reason, I like it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.