Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Just my luck flew last night and ended up with the same crew. Asked for a drink and was denied. Then same FA got on the PA and announced that under no circumstances would beverages be available in either cabin "for the health and safety of the FAs." And again another obnoxious credit card pitch followed by a walk through the cabin trying to hand out applications. Throughout the flight other than to walk through the cabin from time to time to collect the usually non existent trash the FAs sat on their lAAzy butts playing with their phone. Hopefully these are the first to go 10/1. Then they will have all day to play with their phones and not have annoying paxs like me distracting them.
Unbelievable! Well...believable...
Old May 15, 2020, 7:02 am

Just my luck flew last night and ended up with the same crew. Asked for a drink and was denied. Then same FA got on the PA and announced that under no circumstances would beverages be available in either cabin "for the health and safety of the FAs." And again another obnoxious credit card pitch followed by a walk through the cabin trying to hand out applications. Throughout the flight other than to walk through the cabin from time to time to collect the usually non existent trash the FAs sat on their lAAzy butts playing with their phone. Hopefully these are the first to go 10/1. Then they will have all day to play with their phones and not have annoying paxs like me distracting them.
Should have turned down the Credit card App by saying "Sorry, for your health and safety, I can't touch that"
Old May 15, 2020, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I doubt reaching out to AA is going to do much. AA is not going to force their FAs to do a service if they don't want to. As it is the unions are screaming that their crew will be dying by the thousands. Mark my word this will be an ongoing issue for months if not years to come. FAs claiming they can't do a service because it puts them at a health risk.

Let's see how I do tonight back to MIA. I'm going to really need a drink after this week.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Just my luck flew last night and ended up with the same crew. Asked for a drink and was denied.
Report this crew to AA Customer Relations immediately and name names.
enviroian likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Herb687
Report this crew to AA Customer Relations immediately and name names.
and ask them if they feel safe handing out credit card apps but not Tito's minis.
Segments and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
and ask them if they feel safe handing out credit card apps but not Tito's minis.
At least the Tito's doubles as a disinfectant!
Bago'peanuts and brc757rr like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 10:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
At least the Tito's doubles as a disinfectant!
I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but I thought it was funny that Tito's actually had to tell people the vodka isn't strong enough to disinfect

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/us/ti...rnd/index.html
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Lordy I got lucky last night. The F FA provided PBDs and constant drink service throughout the flight. He even brought me another drink without asking. My only hope is that come 10/1 FAs like him are kept around and the lAAzy ones are fired. Can you imagine when an $80K+ a year spend CK returns to travel and they're told to go pound sand when they request a beverage in F.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Lordy I got lucky last night. The F FA provided PBDs and constant drink service throughout the flight. He even brought me another drink without asking. My only hope is that come 10/1 FAs like him are kept around and the lAAzy ones are fired. Can you imagine when an $80K+ a year spend CK returns to travel and they're told to go pound sand when they request a beverage in F.
I think they'll be happy to be able to travel again and happy they're alive and hopefully their family is alive too and they won't care much about PDBs. I think almost all of us are going to have a very different attitude towards travel.
bse118 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:48 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I flew back to Miami yesterday on AA39 from LHR in J, so I thought I’d update on what was on offer etc.
Check in at T2 was super easy. Empty. No one there. Dedicated desks for Flagship First and Business. Very helpful great staff.
T2 totally shut down apart from a Boots pharmacy and WH Smith.
Boarding from B42, in the satellite. Is a long walk with no train but they have travelators.

On board, myself and other half in mini J cabin in 3 and 4J. A couple in 3 & 4A. No one in middle seats.
Offered a PDB of juice, water or fizzy wine - went for the latter.
Long explanation of the service changes by purser over the plane tannoy.

FA working our section - super nice guy - also gave us a more personalised explanation. He also apologised profusely for not offering the service standard he wanted to provide, and said he would do his best. Several top ups of PDB offered whilst on the ground. Load was about 40 I would say - 2 in F, 7 in J, rest in W and Y.

PDB

FA then came round and said he already had our lunch order we had chosen the week before, and what would we like to drink after take off. I asked for a G&T.
This was Bombay Sapphire, not the advertised Aviation Gin.
It was served with a couple packets of mixed nuts, and a cup of water. BTW, regular 500ml bottles of water were already in the seat, when we boarded.

Post takeoff drink!

About 5 min later, table cloth laid and then lunch arrived, as advertised, all served on one tray.
Wine was offered. I took a cup of the NZ Sauvignon Blanc which was ok. I didn’t finish it.

I had the chicken with risotto. It was perfectly ok - chicken a little tough, but I was starving, so it all got finished off.

Apologies - I was hungry and gobbled the bread roll and started on the appetiser before I remembered to take a photo!

The chicken and risotto unwrapped in all its glory!

After that, things got taken away, and it was basically chill for the rest of the flight. If you wanted anything, the FA’s were very happy to oblige. I fancied a cup of tea mid flight and this was brought over no drama. My other half sitting in front of me woke up thirsty and was provided a big 2 litre bottle of water as the FA said that they were trying hard to minimise contact so it would reduce trips back n forth.

A snack bar was provided, and twice during the flight, an FA brought round a basket full of snacks too.

Snack bar section, at door 2, between the mini and main J cabin

2 hours before landing they served the second meal, which for J was a Mediterranean salad. I wasn’t hungry and skipped it so no photo of that, sorry.
Surprised they served it so early before landing, but apparently the weather was bad in Miami, and we were all strapped in everything away, cabin secured for landing an hour out of Miami, which was kind of annoying but it is what it is. Bumpy ride in, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Great service by the crew, who took safety very seriously, but not to the point of making it uncomfortable, if you get my drift. They still worked really hard to keep the human element, chatting with passengers, being friendly and fun too. Everyone had face masks on. When my other half watched a movie mid flight and took his off, he was politely reminded it was regulation to keep it on, which he did.

Hope you find this useful, and shout if any questions. Cheers!

Last edited by Jet Ranger; May 16, 2020 at 4:50 pm Reason: Got flight number wrong!
Old May 16, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Thank you for that updated information. Any idea if F gets anything different than J these days?
Old May 16, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Thank you for that updated information. Any idea if F gets anything different than J these days?
I flew F on my outbound on AA38 from MIA to LHR a few weeks ago.
The only noticeable difference was the appetiser was served first, and the entree came later separately, but otherwise, no difference at all.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Are they still handing out the noise cancelling headsets?
Old May 16, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Are they still handing out the noise cancelling headsets?
Yes. I was surprised as they weren’t in cases or wrapped in plastic. Loose, already plugged into the headphone socket in the seat, the headset hanging on that cubby by your shoulder where the headphones plug in.

The FA said he had just put them out, only to seats with confirmed passengers in them. I had my own Bose ones, so he took them away.

edit to add - there was also a packet of those disposable ones you get on domestic F, for use after they take the noise cancelling ones away.
econ likes this.

Last edited by Jet Ranger; May 16, 2020 at 5:43 pm Reason: Add info
Old May 16, 2020, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Why the heck can't they use real glassware? I mean, they do WASH them between flights, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.