Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Does anyone known what I can screenshot to show the “official” policy? Flying HVN-MSP via PHL in F in a week and don’t expect anything on the first short leg but would like a drink on the second leg.
If an FA refuses to serve a beverage, I doubt having a picture or website with the service standards pulled up is going to make a difference. Any fa that refuses to serve a drink it's doing so not because they don't know the policy, but because they are either apathetic or lazy.

Similar to any other time an FA violates policy, your best bet is to write in a complaint after the flight with as much relevant detail as possible. Confronting them in flight is rarely going to yield a positive result.

If you'd like to do what you can to maximize your chances of getting a drink, I might recommend greeting the FA during boarding, acknowledging the fact that service is limited on the flight, but if they wouldn't mind getting you a (whatever your drink of choice is) in the air. If the FA refuses that request on the ground, at least you would have the ability to talk to a FSM so somebody in power can remind the FA of the policy.

​​​​​​​By the way, beverages on request is the standard on flights of all length, long and short. So you are entitled to request a beverage even on the short flight if you want.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:11 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
If an FA refuses to serve a beverage, I doubt having a picture or website with the service standards pulled up is going to make a difference. Any fa that refuses to serve a drink it's doing so not because they don't know the policy, but because they are either apathetic or lazy.

Similar to any other time an FA violates policy, your best bet is to write in a complaint after the flight with as much relevant detail as possible. Confronting them in flight is rarely going to yield a positive result.

If you'd like to do what you can to maximize your chances of getting a drink, I might recommend greeting the FA during boarding, acknowledging the fact that service is limited on the flight, but if they wouldn't mind getting you a (whatever your drink of choice is) in the air. If the FA refuses that request on the ground, at least you would have the ability to talk to a FSM so somebody in power can remind the FA of the policy.

By the way, beverages on request is the standard on flights of all length, long and short. So you are entitled to request a beverage even on the short flight if you want.
AA doesn't have FSM/ISM/Pursers on domestic flights IIRC. The lead FA doesn't have anything to do with seniority/experience. I've seen "lead" roles go out very junior to FAs that were essentially fresh from training.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CLT
AA doesn't have FSM/ISM/Pursers on domestic flights IIRC. The lead FA doesn't have anything to do with seniority/experience. I've seen "lead" roles go out very junior to FAs that were essentially fresh from training.
FSMs are ground based managers at all FA bases, hence why I suggested requesting a beverage of your choice to be served in the air while you are on the ground. Fsm's are flight attendants' direct superiors and are the only people with the power to compel FAs to perform their duties. They will also be the ones to follow up with the FAs if anybody does write in a letter complaining that they were denied a beverage when it should have been provided.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
I’m pretty sure even on intercontinental flights the ‘purser’ doesn’t actually have any authority to direct cabin service.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
The sad thing is the cheese plate is at least a fresh food item (and somewhat healthy) and IMO better than the shelf stable snack boxes that DL/UA/AS are serving. Plus the snack basket on the longer flights makes AA still better in my book.....it’s just sad to see AA go backwards on all of those routes CLT called out above.

Deltas CEO has committed to bringing back full service and you know AA will have no choice at that point so it’s just a matter of time.
Not exactly a credible example when Delta isn't even serving soft drinks or water with ice right now. Somehow, AA, UA, and even WN manage yet DL refuses to even provide ice onboard now.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fly747first
Not exactly a credible example when Delta isn't even serving soft drinks or water with ice right now.
Wow. I didn't know that. That's completely absurd.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
7/23 AA 434 ATL-CLT A-319:

No your eyes are not deceiving you that is a PDB! My first since late March. The FA apologized for only giving us water or OJ on the ground but gave us full drinks in the air. I got two minis and was offered more on the 45 minute flight. No service in Y.

7/23 AA 4368 CLT-RDU EMB-175: No service either cabin.
apeortdz and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian
Wow. I didn't know that. That's completely absurd.
Indeed... how DL has the nerve to try to get away with this is repulsive. I for one will not pay for any First Class tickets on DL until they bring back ice to domestic flights.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Indeed... how DL has the nerve to try to get away with this is repulsive. I for one will not pay for any First Class tickets on DL until they bring back ice to domestic flights.
Indeed. It's difficult to justify paying for F with such poor service levels, but even more difficult when middles in C+ are blocked and on a 757 or A321 I can get seats in C+ with better room than F.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:04 pm

I believe there is a "permanently" missing in that sentence somewhere.

I can see "better breakfast offering" being perhaps the former BoB breakfast platter, with the English muffin, hard boiled egg, almond butter, etc. Or it may be a banana, muffin/granola bar, or something more "breakfasty." Whatever it is, it will mostly likely be served chilled/room temp (wouldn't bank on a hot Egg McMuffin LOL), and unlikely to require any utensils (wouldn't bank on yogurt/granola either) to avoid the need to pick up used utensils.

AA has made it clear that they are cost cutting while still trying to stay competitive with UA/DL. Can anybody come up with an example where UA/DL's F&B offering is unequivocally better than what AA has available (whether proactively or upon request)? If I'm following the updates correctly, DL still doesn't have liquor in premium cabins within the US (beer and wine only with the latest update, right?) nor does DL serve any hot food including on transcons. UA's offering I believe is comparable to AA's, except I don't believe they offer meals on the flights to Hawaii though I may be mistaken.
According the latest VFTW post by Gary Leff, I was dead wrong about the yogurt and granola. Per his post, AA is going to offer exactly that, or a turkey croissant (cold) during breakfast, or the cheese plate vs Turkey Havarti sandwich during Lunch and Dinner. This is a very nice enhancement in my opinion, especially since this applies to flights 900 miles or more so if my math and memory serve me right, some of the shorter mid-cons will actually get a more substantial offering than they previously received pre-covid.

Not sure if linking outside blogs is against the rules (even though I'm not the owner of the site) but it should be easy enough to find for anybody that's interested in reading his take. Note that I haven't seen this info confirmed anywhere else, so it's possible (but unlikely) that he got it wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Per his post, AA is going to offer exactly that, or a turkey croissant (cold) during breakfast, or the cheese plate vs Turkey Havarti sandwich during Lunch and Dinner. This is a very nice enhancement in my opinion, especially since this applies to flights 900 miles or more so if my math and memory serve me right, some of the shorter mid-cons will actually get a more substantial offering than they previously received pre-covid.
A cold turkey sandwich is not breakfast. An acceptable enhancement would be to return everything to as it was pre-COVID.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
A cold turkey sandwich is not breakfast. An acceptable enhancement would be to return everything to as it was pre-COVID.
You're welcome to fly another airline in North America that currently offers hot breakfast on flights over 900 miles.

Oh wait...

Sheesh. Some people are never happy
BWISkyGuy and rumboj like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Some people are never happy
You think I should be happy that AA is giving back something far inferior to that which it took away?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have a feeling Eagle will be, once again, will be left out of this. There are a lot of 900+ mile Eagle flights. Still, two thumbs up for AA making the right move to add something back.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is indeed a step in the right direction and I AAPLAUD AA for leading the pack on Domestic F offerings. AA has been by far the best domestic carrier for premium passengers of the Big 3 during the last few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.