Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
We just flew ANU-MIA-DEN up front. No surprises at all. Everyone gets a bottle of water and a small bag of mini-pretzels. Full drink service up front, and the attendants came through regularly. On the MIA-DEN segment, the FA apologized for not having food, and came through to thank everyone, by name, towards the end of the flight. The ANU-MIA segment had one empty seat, and economy looked to be about 30% of capacity. The MIA-DEN segment was full in F. I didn't look in economy, but during boarding, the agent said it was a fairly full flight.

MIA was not very busy at all. There was no pre-check line or priority line for passing back through security. We had to go back into the main terminal to clear security at checkpoint 3. Very few shops and restaurants were open, but we had a nice Cuban meal at an eat-in restaurant.

On the plus side, with the fast food restaurants closed, no one got on board with a stinking greasy bag of Mickie D's.
I've been served some meals in J and F on American Airlines that left me craving a "stinking greasy bag of Mickie D's".
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
I remember when DFW-EGE was double daily on a 757. Quite a downgraded.
Indeed. With IFE AND fresh snack plates. The sad state of affairs in F these days is really making me re-consider future travel.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Indeed. With IFE AND fresh snack plates. The sad state of affairs in F these days is really making me re-consider future travel.
There are some bad ones out there but customers are allowed to request whatever you want and usually refills are offered.

Compare that to DL where in FC you get the same thing as a BE customer service wise.

IME AA has been amazing during all of this, but maybe it’s because I’m only on mainline and not these regionals.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
There are some bad ones out there but customers are allowed to request whatever you want and usually refills are offered.

Compare that to DL where in FC you get the same thing as a BE customer service wise.

IME AA has been amazing during all of this, but maybe it’s because I’m only on mainline and not these regionals.
Agreed, and if an AA FA refuses service in the air to FC pax, that needs to be reported. Same if they sit down entire flight without seeming interested in serving F cabin. I think FAs think all of F cabin is upgrades, when that is not always the case. They are hurting themselves without even realizing it.
enviroian, wrp96, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Are tea and coffee, or at least hot water, available in F these days? Are lemons and limes available?
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Stripe
Are tea and coffee, or at least hot water, available in F these days? Are lemons and limes available?
Yes (minus any catering issues).
Old Jun 21, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a Shuttle flight BOS-DCA. BOS was extremely quiet, all but 1-2 food outlets closed. Including checking in two bags, I was from the curb to post security in three minutes. No lines anywhere. The TSA ID checker was not wearing a mask, other than him most everyone was.

I booked First to have more space. No PDB but multiple rounds of drinks offered in air from the friendly flight attendant. Pretty smooth overall.
CLT, AANYC1981 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I paid $56 on the app during check-in to upgrade tomorrow's OKC-ORD flight on Skywest. I am hoping to get my money's worth of rum and coke. If I'm not offered the published service expectations, I will write AA and ask for a refund of what I paid for the upgrade. Let's hope I don't have to do that.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I paid $56 on the app during check-in to upgrade tomorrow's OKC-ORD flight on Skywest. I am hoping to get my money's worth of rum and coke. If I'm not offered the published service expectations, I will write AA and ask for a refund of what I paid for the upgrade. Let's hope I don't have to do that.
Isn't your flight under 900 miles? If so, according to the AA website, "Alcohol available in First by request only".

Sounds to me as though the passenger has to make the request. If you wait for an offer from the Flight Attendant, you are going to be thirsty when you arrive in Chicago.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Yes. You are indeed correct. I will make sure I make a request. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by jcatman
Isn't your flight under 900 miles? If so, according to the AA website, "Alcohol available in First by request only".

Sounds to me as though the passenger has to make the request. If you wait for an offer from the Flight Attendant, you are going to be thirsty when you arrive in Chicago.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Yes. You are indeed correct. I will make sure I make a request. Thanks for the heads up.
Get a double too! It saves everyone the added effort lol
apeortdz and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EP
Are regionals serving alcohol in F? Thought it was only mainline

thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Are regionals serving alcohol in F? Thought it was only mainline
Yes! *Depending on the FA, of course.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Yes! *Depending on the FA, of course.
Yep, the regionals just have the FC FAs escaping to the back more than mainline at least IME.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Not sure this is "news" but I notice that mid-con flights are now meal-less through the end of the year. I booked a mid-September trip a couple of weeks ago with a CLT-AUS segment that was listed as Dinner in F. Now it's showing beverage service. I just did some searches and meals don't appear until January. I guess we're in for some pretty spartan flying for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.