Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 20, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Nov 10, 21, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat View Post
Although I’m based out of PHL, historically, I would travel to JFK 2-3 times per year to enjoy the A321-T in Flagship First. Last week, I made the trip up to JFK for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. While AA is back to charging 2.5K+ each way for First on the A321-T JFK-LAX, the current offering falls WOEFULLY short of the hefty price tag. Here are my observations:

Pros:

Flagship Check-In
FFD (exceptional in every way)
Hard product onboard (seats)
Printed Menus
Bedding
Very attentive F/A
Real French Champagne

Cons:

No FL or FFD at LAX
No PDB
Plastic cups
Just warm nuts after take-off; no longer the nuts/olive combo
No hot towels
No proper salt and pepper shakers – just plastic things
But, most importantly IMO, the current food offering is simply egregious for the price. The last time I flew JFK-LAX in F in December 2019, it was a formal four course restaurant quality meal (appetizer, soup, salad, and entrée – all gorgeous presentations, generous portions, and simply delicious) followed by an ice cream sundae. The “meal” service on this trip consisted of some gross looking beet appetizer (didn’t even bother to unwrap it from the plastic), a hard-as-a-rock piece of bread (at least that’s AA’s allegation), the chicken cacciatore (small portion and bland at best), and some unappealing little tart thing for dessert all served at once on the same tray (saran wrap galore). Overall, an unconscionable offering for the price. If AA wants to offer such a shoddy soft product in the name of “safety” (not pure cost cutting or anything) then they should radically adjust the cost of the fare downward to put it in line with what they’re offering.
Thanks for the report. Too bad you couldn't wait a week, I think today things start to change back towards normal. Not sure what they're doing for Flagship First vis-a-vis these changes, but somehow I don't see the full proper four course meal returning this month. What you've described above is my recent experience as well, and it's utterly pathetic. Especially in light of B6's Business Class offering right now, which is 10X superior.

Really curious to see what happens to Flagship First this week. My guess is they screw it up and basically return it to Flagship Business standard, since I don't see a real future for AA proper F.
Old Nov 14, 21, 11:55 am
RJ1

On widebody aircraft with a Premium Economy cabin, is alcohol available in the PE cabin (MCE) on a domestic route, such as LAX-DFW? I think the answer is no, but just wanted to double check.
Old Nov 14, 21, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by RJ1 View Post
On widebody aircraft with a Premium Economy cabin, is alcohol available in the PE cabin (MCE) on a domestic route, such as LAX-DFW? I think the answer is no, but just wanted to double check.
No
RJ1 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 21, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Advantage
oh blimey...3rd world problems huh , hahaha, You will find european airlines are offering far less than what you get on AA, so count yourselves lucky.....everything on all airlines are served on 1 tray for safety reasons...suck it up sugar this is how it will be for a very long time
Old Nov 15, 21, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec
11/11 AA 1895 RDU-CLT A-321: Full drinks but no food in F. Also plastic cups
11/11 AA 2074 CLT-IAD A-319: Missed the upgrade but was very happy to get full soft drink service in Y on the 56 minute flight
CLT likes this.
Old Nov 15, 21, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
11/13 AA1197 MFE-DFW A319: Full drinks in F; Biscoff cookie was only food. Plastic cups.
11/13 AA1671 DFW-CLT A321: Full drinks and turkey pastrami sandwich. Glassware and silver. Excellent service on this flight!
11/13 AA5248 CLT-MEM CRJ900: Full drinks in F, with glassware. Flight attendant made multiple passes with refills and snack basket.

11/14 AA1728 MEM-DFW A319: Full drinks in F with glassware. Small bag of nuts was provided food; no snack basket.
11/14 AA2851 DFW-MFE A319: Full drinks in F with glassware. Snack basket.
CLT, GrumpyYoungMan and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec
11/20 AA 2704 RDU-CLT A-321:

My first real glass on AA since March, 2020. Nice to see the snack basket on RDU-CLT too.

11/20 AA 6197 CLT-ROA ERJ-145: Non alcoholic drinks on request only. No EXP recognition for me which is unusual for Piedmont.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Nov 22, 21, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
11/21 AA 4341 MIA-IND E-175: 8:33am scheduled departure (8:55am actual departure). Only drinks offered while in flight (2 hrs 45 mins). No biscoff, pretzels, nothing.
Old Nov 22, 21, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Any word what is for breakfast on an MIA-SEA flights in the morning? We are in Main but i'm pretty sure we are going to clear our upgrade so looking at first breakfast options
Old Nov 22, 21, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
Any word what is for breakfast on an MIA-SEA flights in the morning? We are in Main but i'm pretty sure we are going to clear our upgrade so looking at first breakfast options
When is there a MIA-SEA morning flight?
Old Nov 22, 21, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by HiAperture View Post

If you consider a 12:44am Departure, morning? Obviously outside normal meal times and non-premium route.
Old Nov 22, 21, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
If you consider a 12:44am Departure, morning? Obviously outside normal meal times and non-premium route.
Well that is SEA-MIA.

Pre-pandemic that flight had a light continental breakfast before landing into MIA. They also used to provision it with the real casper business bedding sets. Now, I imagine all you get is the snack basket.
Old Nov 23, 21, 8:29 am

this friday
Old Nov 23, 21, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
Well that is SEA-MIA.

Pre-pandemic that flight had a light continental breakfast before landing into MIA. They also used to provision it with the real casper business bedding sets. Now, I imagine all you get is the snack basket.
Yes, we have that flight coming back but 1st looks full so dont think we even need to worry about upgrade but i do think we have a shot at the 730am one this friday so was curious if anything was served and what it was these days for AA
Old Nov 23, 21, 10:13 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
11/22 AA1309 DEN-PHX: Drinks in glassware, no food brought around, either nuts or snack basket.
11/22 AA597 PHX-SFO: Drinks in glassware, served with almonds. Additional people asked for more almonds, which were distributed on request.

Search this Thread