Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 20, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Nov 4, 21, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BonVoy Titanium
11/2/21 PHL to LAX in F on a 321 NEO:
Two cold meal options:
-beef with some kind of couscous salad, was cold but filling
-turkey sammich
Single tray, also had small serving of fruit and veggies + hummis in shrink wrap, packaged brownie (didn't eat the brownie), salad dressing, real silverware.
Still no PDB.
Drinks still in plastic cups but when I asked the FA if they had any Scotch, he replied: "Jack Daniels, Woodford, Dewars and Glenlivet." That's the first I've seen Glenlivet 12 on AA domestic F! Or maybe I've just missed it all this time?

Gave me two bottles of Glinlivet 12. The FA was one of the nicest I've had in a while - cheerful, proactive drink refills, polite and helpful. Carlos I think was his name. Think it was an LA based crew.
Old Nov 4, 21, 2:19 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by UpIntheError View Post
That's the first I've seen Glenlivet 12 on AA domestic F! Or maybe I've just missed it all this time?
They have it on all or most mainline flights, just not advertised
Old Nov 8, 21, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec
11/5 AA 4686 RDU-JFK EMB-175: Full drinks and pretzels in F
11/5 AA 177 JFK-SFO A-321T: No PDB in J. Full menu with four entrees. Glenlivet but plastic glasses. Overall okay but not as good as two years ago
11/7 AA 2039 SFO-ORD 737-800: Missed the upgrade but heard sandwich or salad for F
11/7 AA 600 ORD-RDU 737-800: Full drinks and pretzels in F. Disappointed at no snack basket.
Old Nov 8, 21, 12:56 pm

What's the ETA on return of the glassware again? 😁 I still see plastic in those pics.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 21, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes View Post
What's the ETA on return of the glassware again? 😁 I still see plastic in those pics.
11/10 but I think it will just be for premium transcon, hawaii (dfw - koa/ogg/hnl) and international flights
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Nov 8, 21, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
11/10 but I think it will just be for premium transcon, hawaii (dfw - koa/ogg/hnl) and international flights
Yup, the 'rona only avoids glassware for the beautiful people.
enviroian, wrp96, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 21, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium + Lifetime Gold
Coming from UA and DL, I appreciate AA for at least having a packaged meal option in coach on transcon routes. Low standards, but better than snacks like pretzel and biscoff cookie for 6 hours+ of flight time on other guys.
Old Nov 9, 21, 7:59 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Coming from UA and DL, I appreciate AA for at least having a packaged meal option in coach on transcon routes. Low standards, but better than snacks like pretzel and biscoff cookie for 6 hours+ of flight time on other guys.
What routes?

The only routes that have meal service in Y are those operated by A321T/AFS equipment. All other routes (including several longer ones, like MIA-SEA which is almost as long as Boston-Ireland) get nothing in the back other than a cookie.
Old Nov 9, 21, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium + Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
What routes?

The only routes that have meal service in Y are those operated by A321T/AFS equipment.
Yep. JFK<->LAX/SFO.
Old Nov 9, 21, 10:32 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
MIA-SEA which is almost as long as Boston-Ireland) get nothing in the back other than a cookie.
Thankfully AS is starting to fly that route, so we don't have to be subjected to sub-par service, in the front or back.
Old Nov 9, 21, 10:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post
Thankfully AS is starting to fly that route, so we don't have to be subjected to sub-par service, in the front or back.
I loved taking this survey, with a little snark and hopefully some suggestions that on the whole AA will take seriously about their partner's better service.

Old Nov 9, 21, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But AS' hard product is terrible... no great meal is going to make up for an uncomfortable seat on 5-6 hr flights
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 21, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
But AS' hard product is terrible... no great meal is going to make up for an uncomfortable seat on 5-6 hr flights
Unless AA starts to fly a widebody or A321T, their hard product is the exact same, their timing is worse, a lovely 12:44am redeye departure on a recliner, and offerings, or lack there of, way worse. We aren't comparing MIA-LAX, this is the exact same routing that AS beats AA on across the board.
Old Nov 9, 21, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless AA starts to fly a widebody or A321T, their hard product is the exact same, their timing is worse, a lovely 12:44am redeye departure on a recliner, and offerings, or lack there of, way worse. We aren't comparing MIA-LAX, this is the exact same routing that AS beats AA on across the board.
I actually find AA's F seats to be more comfortable, even on the 321 Kodak version, than AS'. Also, some of AS' F cabins on 738/739s are in far worse shape than AA's.

For me, I would rather fly AA with a connection that would get me a flat bed in one of the flights vs. AS nonstop.
Old Nov 10, 21, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Although Im based out of PHL, historically, I would travel to JFK 2-3 times per year to enjoy the A321-T in Flagship First. Last week, I made the trip up to JFK for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. While AA is back to charging 2.5K+ each way for First on the A321-T JFK-LAX, the current offering falls WOEFULLY short of the hefty price tag. Here are my observations:

Pros:

Flagship Check-In
FFD (exceptional in every way)
Hard product onboard (seats)
Printed Menus
Bedding
Very attentive F/A
Real French Champagne

Cons:

No FL or FFD at LAX
No PDB
Plastic cups
Just warm nuts after take-off; no longer the nuts/olive combo
No hot towels
No proper salt and pepper shakers just plastic things
But, most importantly IMO, the current food offering is simply egregious for the price. The last time I flew JFK-LAX in F in December 2019, it was a formal four course restaurant quality meal (appetizer, soup, salad, and entre all gorgeous presentations, generous portions, and simply delicious) followed by an ice cream sundae. The meal service on this trip consisted of some gross looking beet appetizer (didnt even bother to unwrap it from the plastic), a hard-as-a-rock piece of bread (at least thats AAs allegation), the chicken cacciatore (small portion and bland at best), and some unappealing little tart thing for dessert all served at once on the same tray (saran wrap galore). Overall, an unconscionable offering for the price. If AA wants to offer such a shoddy soft product in the name of safety (not pure cost cutting or anything) then they should radically adjust the cost of the fare downward to put it in line with what theyre offering.

Search this Thread