Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
One question after an observation. We now know that the virus is not transmitted on hard surfaces. What is the justification for this plastic wrapped food? What is the justification for plastic glasses? Travel has picked up; what now is the justification for the downgraded food offerings? European carriers are serving meals on plates, wine in proper glasses, and serving meals as courses. Guess what.....no problems with that. So why are US carriers hiding behind the "safety" mantra with pathetic food and service?????
Old Oct 7, 2021, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
2055 SDF-CLT, A319. No snack basket, just mini pretzels.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
We now know that the virus is not transmitted on hard surfaces.
That is not completely accurate, surface transmission is possible but is not considered to be a significant risk.
BWISkyGuy and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I don't like the plastic wrapped crud either, but look, long before covid a lot of people are very weird about food packaging.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TWA884
If that's the case, airlines need to be better distributing disinfectant wipes. In the earlier days of Covid, these were consistently provided but lately, I have been on many AA/AS/B6/DL/UA flights were the crew didn't even have any to distribute.

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
If she doesn't know you, she isn't likely going to accept your LinkedIn Connection request. She'll simply click on "I don't know this person" and you'll find it all the harder to connect with others in the future due to LinkedIn's algorithm. Instead of Linkedin, post the photo to twitter. On Twitter all you have to do is mention AA, not have a LinkedIn professional relationship with the person you are wanting to embarrass.
That's true but on Linkedin you don't need to be connected to someone to comment on his/her posts; you just need to look at the person's posts.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by fly747first; Oct 7, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly747first
If that's the case, airlines need to be better distributing disinfectant wipes. In the earlier days of Covid, these were consistently provided but lately, I have been on many AA/AS/B6/DL/UA flights were the crew didn't even have any to distribute.
IME, AA is the most inconsistent, starting several months ago. I get one probably less than half of the time.

I seem to get one of them on UA upon boarding >95% of the time.
fly747first likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
10/9 AA 609 BWI-CLT A-320: Full drinks, just fig bars in First
10/9 AA 1533 CLT-MKE A-321: Full drinks, snack basket in First

I still don't know the rhyme or reason for when the snack basket shows up and when it doesn't.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10

I still don't know the rhyme or reason for when the snack basket shows up and when it doesn't.
You and me both. In my recent travels, distance hasn't appeared to be the factor.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by CMK10

They're running an A321 on CLT-MKE now?! I did that semi-frequently before the pandemic and it was always a CRJ.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
AA needs to get its Eagle carriers on the same page as mainline.

MCI-MIA is operated twice per day, one is mainline (A319) and the other is Envoy dba American Eagle (ERJ-1750). The flight distance is 1252 miles. The mainline is serving a packaged meal in F, but the Eagle flight has only the snack basket. Not a big deal, but consistency is the name of the game when you want people to pay to upfare.
SkyTeam777, SKYEG and keyw like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by fastflyer
AA needs to get its Eagle carriers on the same page as mainline.

MCI-MIA is operated twice per day, one is mainline (A319) and the other is Envoy dba American Eagle (ERJ-1750). The flight distance is 1252 miles. The mainline is serving a packaged meal in F, but the Eagle flight has only the snack basket. Not a big deal, but consistency is the name of the game when you want people to pay to upfare.
Exact same situation with YYC-DFW--- except it's over 1500+mi 4hrs, and you don't get anything on either 319/E75 flight except snack basket... It's almost always a E75 but they sub in a 319 sometimes. Really sad considering I just got a full hot breakfast with real plates/glasses on a 428mi YVR-YYC 1 hour flight on AC.
ceebee100 and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It's insulting that pax can see cockpit crew getting a hot meal while we eat garbage sandwiches (although the fruit is nice). 1.5 years into this, and AA F cabins are full, charging a lot and continually cheating pax who supported the airline through the hard times and with taxpayer money.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Actually it's deeper

Originally Posted by TWA884
What is plastic wrap???? It is a hard surface. Much harder than the food itself. Further, taking off the wrap puts one in contact with that surface. So if one does even a tiny bit of deep thinking, the plastic wrap accomplishes nada, zip, nothing.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:55 pm

does anyone know what the food will be, or lack thereof, for a flight i might be booking next week for December from MIA to GYE in premium economy? thanks
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:30 pm

Question LAX - DFW what to expect at 0600?

I am currently booked on the 0600 outbound from LAX to DFW for 10/31 (in First). I will be coming off multiple 13s in a row (and therefore will probably have nothing in my fridge at home) :-) and I'll only have about 8 hours between leaving work and my flight. I do not usually fly AA, and I am somewhat confused by their current catering definitions. Should I expect anything more substantial than a granola bar; if so what might be offered? Or am I better off grabbing a bagel from the hospital cafeteria and taking it along? I do assume I might be able to get a cuppa tea on board, yes?

Thank you for the insight! <3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.