Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
Anyone know in F on CLT-RDU and reverse if there's time for a quick drink or do FA's play the "too short for service" game?
If you're appropriately motivated and in the first or second rows, you should have time for 2 rounds. Pre-covid, I rarely encountered a flight attendant that had a problem with this on this route or similarly short flights.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
As with everything AA, it depends on the crew.
Exactly. Lately I have had either truly outstanding or just outright nasty crews.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:23 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Went from one bad breakfast to the next…

Presently flying GIG-MIA-JFK. The breakfast from GIG-MIA was totally different than described. Cheese omelet with turkey bacon became mushroom omelet with regular bacon.

GIG-MIA meal

I wrongly assumed I’d get a better meal on the MIA-JFK flight since it’s a 77W. Despite paying for A, I got the 738 experience anyway. No pillow, blanket or amenity kit. I had avoided eating in the Admiral’s Club which supposedly had make your own scrambled eggs, and got this instead.

MIA-JFK meal

There was an alternative of lox and a hard-boiled egg, but I don’t like either and I was stuck getting that nasty bagged bagel either way. Admittedly, I did put the banana peel on the floor in hopes the FA would go flying. She had a terrible disposition.
corky and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by uxb
I had avoided eating in the Admiral’s Club which supposedly had make your own scrambled eggs, and got this instead,.
Well that was a mistake. These days you will almost always do better eating at the Admirals Club than waiting for whatever surprise awaits onboard.
uxb, wrp96 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:24 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Stripe
Well that was a mistake. These days you will almost always do better eating at the Admirals Club than waiting for whatever surprise awaits onboard.
I think I do concede that in my post.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
I think I do concede that in my post.
Which is sad in itself as the AC food is just quite poor. If you can even call it food.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
Anyone know in F on CLT-RDU and reverse if there's time for a quick drink or do FA's play the "too short for service" game?
That's my most flown route and it's hit or miss. Some crews give drinks and snacks, some don't. Though for what it's worth, this was my experience on this route in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 etc.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Anyone seen this
Miami, FL to Los Angeles, CA Monday, August 30, 2021
2:00 PM
4:17 PM
AA 2283 77W-Boeing 777 Travel info
Travel time: 5h 17mPerformance*
On time: 52%**
Late: 39%
  • Wi-Fi
  • AC power
  • USB power
  • Seatback entertainment
  • Lie-flat seats in Business and First only
  • Main Cabin
  • Meals: Refreshments
  • Booking code: G
  • Class: Economy
  • Flagship® Business
  • Meals: Refreshments
  • Booking code: I
  • Class: Business
  • Flagship® First Flexible
  • Meals: Lunch
  • Booking code: F
  • Class: First
I took this flight last month . We had a full hot meal in business and it was listed as such on the website. Anyone done MIA-LAX-MIA in biz on the 77W recently? Are they still doing the hot meals or are they down to the cold stuff like the other flights in domestic F?
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Just a website glitch. Both J and F should receive a full meal service albeit on one tray.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:13 am

I hope so. But, has anyone done this route in the last few days that can verify
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:41 am

I Actually had the scrambled eggs in the Atlanta Club. Its basic and not as appealing as it sounds. They have a soup pot full of the cooked eggs and some chees chives bacon and ham to throw on them. Ok fare but not great. I got first crack at them since they forgot to put out plates and utensils for about 20 minutes until I politely asked for them.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:18 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
UA is resuming their full BOB service on 15 September, which will include hot options available for purchase. They are also now offering free meals in Y (photo below) on Hawaii routes from the Central/Eastern US, which look better than what AA is currently dishing out in F.

I never buy BOB so that's essentially a moot point, but considering UA is offering hot meals in F currently on all hub-hub flights (even as short as LAX-DEN) in addition to flights over 4 hours, AA's product in both cabins at this point is beyond disgraceful.

Living in DC I am thankful that I am not held captive to AA. I just signed up for a status match with UA and will likely transition the reminder of my flying for this year to them.

corky, FlyerBeek and LovePrunes like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by CLT
UA is resuming their full BOB service on 15 September, which will include hot options available for purchase. They are also now offering free meals in Y (photo below) on Hawaii routes from the Central/Eastern US, which look better than what AA is currently dishing out in F.

I never buy BOB so that's essentially a moot point, but considering UA is offering hot meals in F currently on all hub-hub flights (even as short as LAX-DEN) in addition to flights over 4 hours, AA's product in both cabins at this point is beyond disgraceful.

Living in DC I am thankful that I am not held captive to AA. I just signed up for a status match with UA and will likely transition the reminder of my flying for this year to them.

UA has always had great F meals on mainline. Biggest gripe with UA, and what made me switch, was horrible service on the ground and even the 1K line. Recent experience at a United Club validated this decision for me when the only food available was instant ramen and Lays chips.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Has anyone flown DFW-FAI or ORD-FAI recently in First Class or does anyone know what they serve on those two 2500+ mile Alaska routes?
Would American serve an hot meal on those flights or is it the Fresh Bite boxes that are being served?

Thank you.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
PHX-OGG today in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.