Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
To give a sad sad answer to my question, yes, they really don’t give more than a single bag of pretzels, even in PE for a 6.5 hour flight. I asked if I could have a biscoff too but was told no. And there was but a single beverage service over the entire 8 hours (flight plus 90 minutes on ground at ORD). I tried to find a FA near the end for some water, but the galleys were empty so they must have been elsewhere.

In short, there was nothing remotely “Premium” about the experience.
That is absolutely terrible. Be sure to complain about that.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I asked if I could have a biscoff too but was told no.

Old Aug 8, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by enviroian

no biscoff for you!
la2clt and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
To give a sad sad answer to my question, yes, they really don’t give more than a single bag of pretzels, even in PE for a 6.5 hour flight. I asked if I could have a biscoff too but was told no. And there was but a single beverage service over the entire 8 hours (flight plus 90 minutes on ground at ORD). I tried to find a FA near the end for some water, but the galleys were empty so they must have been elsewhere.

In short, there was nothing remotely “Premium” about the experience.
This is particularly bad, but the Alaska routes seem to be one all the carriers seem content to stiff service on. I remember reading on here that J on the 788 doesn't even get the Casper bedding.

Whatever about the booze, not serving proper meals on flights that long (and to HI) is an abomination - and they don't make it especially clear that this is going to be the situation at any point (check in/booking).
cmd320 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I received this for breakfast on OKC-CLT this morning. It was a carb bomb, but at least it was on real dishes and came with real flatware. The best part was the grapes, cheese, and crackers.

SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I received this for breakfast on OKC-CLT this morning. It was a carb bomb, but at least it was on real dishes and came with real flatware. The best part was the grapes, cheese, and crackers.

Mascater? Didn't see anything about plated meals returning.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by keyw
Definitely not meant for another airline. That’s 100% AA’s terrible servingware.

Maybe this is the easiest way to do double catered flights?
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
nice to see plated returning. I wonder if that's an outlier.

Please someone else respond if they get a meal.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by keyw
Originally Posted by enviroian
nice to see plated returning. I wonder if that's an outlier.

Please someone else respond if they get a meal.
Per JonNYC’s tweet on August 5:

Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon

This actually looks pretty good for a flight of this length--and plenty of non-carb items (cheese, fruit).
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Robert
Per JonNYC’s tweet on August 5:

So basically they are taking the Fresh Bites stuff out of a box and putting it onto a plate?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This actually looks pretty good for a flight of this length--and plenty of non-carb items (cheese, fruit).
I agree, seems pretty close to the cereal offering on flights pre covid. Just missing yogurt and fresh breads.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
But they're "phasing it in."
Old Aug 10, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
On 07/31/21 my husband & I flew CLT - CUN on the 09:15am flight. There was one "meal" option, the "AM Protein Turkey Everything Bagel Bread Breakfast Sandwich".

It included a rectangular bagel sandwich, a Chobani strawberry yogurt, a Cliff mini chocolate chip bar, a mozzarella cheese string, & a cup of fruit salad.

Yesterday, 08/09/21, we flew CUN - CLT on the 02:45pm flight & were offered either a Chicken Salad box or an Orange Couscous box. We had just eaten at Margaritaville so we declined the box lunch (so, obviously, I don't know what the boxes contained).

Later, on that flight (CUN-CLT), we were offered a tiny cellophane package of mixed nuts (certainly didn't compare to the warmed nuts in the porcelain bowl in days past !!).

On our CLT - ROC flight last night we were offered either a pack of (the crumbly, messy) biscoff or a tiny bag of "corn nuts".

Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
So last night MIA/DCA I got the "fresh bites tray." It consisted of a very small fruit salad and tiny chicken salad in one of the plastic containers the ACs were using, a piece of cheese that look like what you buy at Dollar General, 2 crackers and a small brownie. Luckily I had some nuts in my bag.

Even the FA was shaking his head "like I can't believe this."

In other words, it's a downgrade from the short lived box meal. If you get on the plane hungry you will probably get off the plane hungry unless you eat like a bird.
DC9 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.