Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
4/21 AA 2704 RDU-CLT 737-800: Proactive drink service in F
4/21 AA 607 CLT-MSY 737-800: Proactive drink service in F. I got all three Glenlivet minis so it was a good flight
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
4/22 DEN-CLT: over 900 miles, so choice of cheese plate or sandwich. FA said they were out of beer, not sure why it wasn't catered.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by safari ari
4/22 DEN-CLT: over 900 miles, so choice of cheese plate or sandwich. FA said they were out of beer, not sure why it wasn't catered.
DEN catering strikes again. Ugh.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
4/24 AA 4720 RDU-DCA EMB-175: Proactive drink service in F
4/24 AA 4889 DCA-PVD EMB-175: Proactive drink service in F
4/25 AA 4984 PVD-ORD EMB-175: Proactive drink service in F though they didn't have any ice. Also this flight is 2hr20 aloft and not having any food, especially with virtually everything at PVD closed, is not pleasant.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
On AA569 CLT-HNL in a couple of weeks, in Y (MCE 17A/B, so not great but not awful).

Emailed AA to see what the F&B situation would be like as its one of the longest domestic routes they have at 10.5hrs.

They've just responded that it won't be catered in Y and will be biscoffs, pretzels and soda only for that 10.5hr haul.

Good lord.
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
On AA569 CLT-HNL in a couple of weeks, in Y (MCE 17A/B, so not great but not awful).

Emailed AA to see what the F&B situation would be like as its one of the longest domestic routes they have at 10.5hrs.

They've just responded that it won't be catered in Y and will be biscoffs, pretzels and soda only for that 10.5hr haul.

Good lord.
Seems if AA doesn't want to make some additional revenue with BOB, you have a great business opportunity to fill the void if you bring some snacks onboard.

Seriously, it is very silly to not have any options to purchase additional food onboard, especially for a flight that is longer than some TATL routes. Granted, CTL is very much open now so you won't be limited to what you can pickup or bring from home.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Good lord.
Does this win the award for the longest 'no service' flight in the world?
cesco.g, CLT, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:34 pm

I mean I'll be packing some mini's, sandwiches and snacks - but not catering a 10.5hr flight is borderline negligent.

I imagine some of my coach compatriots are in for a serious shock when they board & find this out, I doubt AA will be flagging it beforehand (which they really should be doing).
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cmd320
Jeez, when does it depart? I am surprised a fight didn't break out, 10 hours is excessive. Guess inflight meals cut in on Parker's marketing agency budget.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Jeez, when does it depart? I am surprised a fight didn't break out, 10 hours is excessive. Guess inflight meals cut in on Parker's marketing agency budget.
Starts 5/6.

I sincerely hope AA CS is just wrong on this one, but then the DFW departures are the same deal (I think?) and they're only what ~2hrs shorter?

It's pretty though bad if true.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
LAX-DCA, 12:56pm 4/26

FA isn't too thrilled to be here, but not a bad flight. After the initial drink service, she brought out a blue tub of boxes and said "Protein or Vegetarian?" to everyone, which of course no one really knew how to answer... I got the protein box as did at least the first 8 others I heard, not sure what's in the Veg box or how many of each were catered.

The box had a decent "turkey pastrami" sandwich with arugula, cheese, and some sort of dill spread. I don't ever buy turkey pastrami (or any pastrami, really, unless I'm at Katz's) but from the looks of it I wouldn't have guessed it was turkey... the marbling looks like beef to me. In any event, it was reasonably tasty. No additional condiment was available but I didn't find it too dry. Nothing had ingredient labels that I could see, though I didn't look on the bottom of the box.

Potato salad was a small scoop atop arugula. Perfectly serviceable.

"Caesar" salad was just spring mix (including some arugula, must be on sale!) with tomatoes and parmesan and a side of Naturally Fresh Caesar dressing.

I didn't eat the cinnamon chocolate cake bar but my neighbor ate hers first and seemed to enjoy it so I gave mine to her and she was thrilled.

All in all, a strong upgrade from just getting the turkey havarti sandwich.

chrisny2, CLT, 355F1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Apr 26, 2021 at 8:03 pm
Old Apr 26, 2021, 4:49 pm

Angry

Starts 5/6.

I sincerely hope AA CS is just wrong on this one, but then the DFW departures are the same deal (I think?) and they're only what ~2hrs shorter?

It's pretty though bad if true.
Yep. DFW to Hawaii is a nice 8.5. Making the trip in a few weeks and understand there will be nothing there than Biscoff or pretzels (at best) and a coke. Nothing available to purchase, either. And that's even in PE at over $1k per ticket.
cmd320 and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:21 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by cmd320
Unclear what UA is currently doing on EWR/IAD-Hawaii but probably.

I think Delta is doing hot meals (plus an arrival meal) in addition to free booze on their ATL-HNL flight. Sad.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
LAX-DCA, 12:56pm 4/26

FA isn't too thrilled to be here but not a bad flight. After the initial drink service the brought out a blue tub of boxes and said "Protein or Vegetarian?" to everyone, which of course no one really knew how to answer... I got the protein box as did at least the first 8 others I heard, not sure what's in the Veg box or how many of each were catered.

The box had a decent "turkey pastrami" sandwich with arugula, cheese, and some sort of dill spread. I don't ever buy turkey pastrami (or any pastrami, really, unless I'm at Katz's) but from the looks of it I wouldn't have guessed it was turkey... the marbling looks like beef to me. In any event, it was reasonably tasty. No additional condiment was available but I didn't find it too dry. Nothing had ingredient labels that I could see, though I didn't look on the bottom of the box.

Potato salad was a small scoop atop arugula. Perfectly serviceable.

"Caesar" salad was just spring mix (including some arugula, must be on sale!) with tomatoes and parmesan and a side of Naturally Fresh Caesar dressing.

I didn't eat the cinnamon chocolate cake bar but my neighbor ate hers first and seemed to enjoy it so I gave mine to her and she was thrilled.

All in all, a strong upgrade from just getting the turkey havarti sandwich.

That potato salad is making me nervous just looking at it. Sandwich looks tasty, although I do hope it was actually turkey and not beef. Big problem if they are incorrectly labeling food. As someone who doesn't eat red meat I wouldn't have been too thrilled.

Almost looks like what CO was offering in Y in 2010 right before they axed their free meals in the back of the bus.
platbrownguy and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
That potato salad is making me nervous just looking at it.
I don't even like potato salad but this was actually decent, the lid was smashing it down in the picture but it was not too mayo-heavy and the potatoes were not over or under cooked, nor was there celery (the only food I truly dislike).

Agree re: the meat labeling, would love to have a pastrami connoisseur verify from the picture that this is at least plausibly turkey... I have never thought of turkey as having marbling like that.
CLT likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
No expert

Indeed no expert but a meat lover. Indeed the so called Turkey Pastramu is in a more intense red color and marbling than most I’ve seen. Turkey is usually pinkish and has little marbling.
BTW, does anyone know what is currently being served in J on flights to SA?
Safe travels!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.