Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
During the pandemic, DFW/ORD city pair became a "Beverage Service" flight rather than "Refreshments" flight. Is this something that is likely to change, or will AA continue to follow their sub-900 mile rule going forward? Thoughts?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by plinth857
During the pandemic, DFW/ORD city pair became a "Beverage Service" flight rather than "Refreshments" flight. Is this something that is likely to change, or will AA continue to follow their sub-900 mile rule going forward? Thoughts?
AA hasn't announced any of their post-pandemic plans for catering other than a statement ( not 100% sure - from Doug Parker ) that implies that service on domestic routes wouldn't be the same like the past in the post-pandemic era without any detail.

Everything at this moment for the return of the specific city pair exception would be pure speculation.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Proactive beverage service the other day on my LAS-PHX flight was extremely appreciated. Doubles of minis were even served for those who requested mixed drinks. This proactive service earned the FA a well-deserved AApplause certificate.

Contrast that with my connecting (and longer) PHX-GJT flight on Skyworst where I had to pretend that I was Oliver Twist and go up to the galley and ask from a drink when it became apparent that there was going to be no service on this flight. So sick of these Skyworst flights.
cmd320 and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:15 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Delta is resuming a modified service on 14 April. Apologies if this was posted above...

Soda choices will be Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Ginger Ale, and will be offered via mini-cans. Juice, Mixers, Water, Tea, Coffee will also be available, as will ice upon request. Alcohol and headphone sales will also resume, and it looks like they will be offering a new pre-mixed canned Margarita and Old Fashioned by some Atlanta-based company. Snack selections will include Cliff Bars, Goldfish, Almonds, and Biscoff.

Given that UA has (and never stopped) full non-alcoholic beverage service, AA is going to have no choice but to resume full service...
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by CLT
Delta is resuming a modified service on 14 April. Apologies if this was posted above...

Soda choices will be Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Ginger Ale, and will be offered via mini-cans. Juice, Mixers, Water, Tea, Coffee will also be available, as will ice upon request. Alcohol and headphone sales will also resume, and it looks like they will be offering a new pre-mixed canned Margarita and Old Fashioned by some Atlanta-based company. Snack selections will include Cliff Bars, Goldfish, Almonds, and Biscoff.

Given that UA has (and never stopped) full non-alcoholic beverage service, AA is going to have no choice but to resume full service...
In my experience, AA never stopped full beverage service in F. Or if they did, it was for a very brief time.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by CLT

DL still isn't going to be full service -- the *only* hard liquor will be in those pre-mixed sugar bomb "cocktails"... a Mai Tai or two is fun en route to Hawaii but doesn't quite cut it as a normal beverage.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I assume this change or DL is for Y not F. No AA never officially stopped F beverage service but there was a time from the May to July time frame last year some FAs were refusing any service, even on request. That seems to have ceased, presumably AA has advised that beverages in F are on request but most FAs realize that people in F are going to want a beverage, particularly if food is served, so they just do the service as before. All food was also suspended (other flights over 2.2K miles) for a short period of time in F but AA came back fairly quick with sandwiches/cheese plates on flights between 900 and 2,200 miles.

It should be interesting what AA does for Y. My hunch is that we see something like a cart beverage service of non alcoholic drinks on flights of 900 or more and possibly just that tiny bottle of water on shorter flights. Maybe BOB on flights longer than 900 miles.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
With this news, AA should be able to resume most cabin service. They have to be leaving lots of revenue on the table by not selling alcohol in Y. Especially with all the leisure travelers on cheap fares.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...unding-planes/
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
With this news, AA should be able to resume most cabin service. They have to be leaving lots of revenue on the table by not selling alcohol in Y. Especially with all the leisure travelers on cheap fares.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...unding-planes/
I don't really see the connection between ungrounding aircraft and a resumption of normal main cabin service. While AA is perfect happy with packing a dense narrowbody full of pax, there's still going to be incredible pushback from the FAs for resuming anything resembling pre-COVID service levels.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
In the lazy FA lying so they won't have to do their job department flew MIA/CLT on the 772 just now. About 30 minutes into flight no FAs are visible. So I go into the galley where a FA is eating her lunch and she's not very happy I interrupted her. I ask if there's going to be a beverage service in F. She claims not on flights under 900 miles. I ask if I can request an alcoholic drink. No AA doesn't allow alcohol drinks in BOTH cabins on flights less than 900 miles. When I point out that I fly this route nearly once a week almost always in F (and often paid F might I add) a full beverage service is offered. Said FA tells me that's because most FAs are violating corporate policy. But she can get me some water "if I really need it." Yes I do with ice.

I guess I could write a complaint for what good it would do. Maybe I'll have better luck on my connection .
enviroian, cmd320 and ChurnieEls like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I don't really see the connection between ungrounding aircraft and a resumption of normal main cabin service. While AA is perfect happy with packing a dense narrowbody full of pax, there's still going to be incredible pushback from the FAs for resuming anything resembling pre-COVID service levels.

-FlyerBeek
Well the FAs can push back all they want, but union or no, they have to follow policy, and there are countless other people who can take what is ultimately an easily replaceable job.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 1:53 pm

It all makes me wonder if the era of a pre-departure drink is gone forever...
Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
In the lazy FA lying so they won't have to do their job department flew MIA/CLT on the 772 just now. About 30 minutes into flight no FAs are visible. So I go into the galley where a FA is eating her lunch and she's not very happy I interrupted her. I ask if there's going to be a beverage service in F. She claims not on flights under 900 miles. I ask if I can request an alcoholic drink. No AA doesn't allow alcohol drinks in BOTH cabins on flights less than 900 miles. When I point out that I fly this route nearly once a week almost always in F (and often paid F might I add) a full beverage service is offered. Said FA tells me that's because most FAs are violating corporate policy. But she can get me some water "if I really need it." Yes I do with ice.

I guess I could write a complaint for what good it would do. Maybe I'll have better luck on my connection .
You should have pulled up the part of the AA website that says Alcohol is available in "F," including flights under 900 miles. I would have loved to have had that conversation with her.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
In the lazy FA lying so they won't have to do their job department flew MIA/CLT on the 772 just now. About 30 minutes into flight no FAs are visible. So I go into the galley where a FA is eating her lunch and she's not very happy I interrupted her. I ask if there's going to be a beverage service in F. She claims not on flights under 900 miles. I ask if I can request an alcoholic drink. No AA doesn't allow alcohol drinks in BOTH cabins on flights less than 900 miles. When I point out that I fly this route nearly once a week almost always in F (and often paid F might I add) a full beverage service is offered. Said FA tells me that's because most FAs are violating corporate policy. But she can get me some water "if I really need it."
Sounds about right. I was flying MIA-DCA in paid (discounted) F last month. FA absolutely refused to do any alcohol service in F. He said "when the drinks come out the masks stay down, so I'm not doing it." Not even worth my time any more to send in a complaint. Management doesn't care.

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You really should. They're listening better these days. I had an issue with a gate agent at LAS last month and sent in a complaint... someone called me a day or two later and took it seriously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.