Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by r415
Giving people CC apps requires close contact too
Maybe they fold the application form into a paper airplane and throw it. But does anyone ever ask for one?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
But it is standard service? That's what is so odd.
I fly GSO-CLT almost weekly and when in F, service was consistent. These days, they cut the 1-2 mainline we had and the 1-2 Republic flights at the times I need them are obviously just charades for FAs since they do no service at all despite their requirement to do so.

Also, GSO-CLT, while they announce an 18-20 minute flight time, it's almost always 40 minutes inflight. Im not talking about ground time, which means you're in the same seat for 90 minutes with boarding and ground delays (these days on an E145 during early morning/evening flights).
Ground service in F should be required on these short flights.
I agree it's standard service and pre-COVID I can't remember an AA RDU-CLT flight where I didn't get a drink and a pass of the snack basket or snack mix. They were great about it. But during COVID I've had this kind of excellent service, or they sit down the whole time, or they actually refuse to requests or they only get up to do the credit card pitch.

Incidentally I've had good luck on CLT-GSO. Now that it's mainly ERD/ER4s I'm usually the only EXP and I've gotten a drink when no one else has.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:46 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Onboard AA1165 (LAX-DCA) now.

Sandwich looked incredibly soggy so I went with the very filling and satisfying yogurt box consisting of 8 rotten blueberries and a faint whisper of granola which interestingly goes great with white wine.

Crew has this old-school friendliness and thanked everyone individually for flying American when passing out the snack, and went through the cabin pre-departure making sure everyone knew where their power outlets were. No PDBs, however.

I could tell they were slightly embarrassed by the product being offered. I understand DC isn’t NYC or MIA but this is pathetic. Someone asked if they would be able to heat up the sandwiches and she responded that she would if she could but she didn’t have any foil to wrap the sandwich with.
chrisny2, enviroian, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by CLT
Onboard AA1165 (LAX-DCA) now.

...granola which interestingly goes great with white wine.
This demands further research!
Geordie405 and CLT like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Maybe they fold the application form into a paper airplane and throw it. But does anyone ever ask for one?
Well, apparently they do, because often the FAs would announce that "several of your fellow passengers were excited to take advantage of this in-flight-only offer"
platbrownguy, jhartvu, CLT and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
Well, apparently they do, because often the FAs would announce that "several of your fellow passengers were excited to take advantage of this in-flight-only offer"
Probably the same ones who announce that their computer has warned them that some passengers' cell phones haven't yet been switched to airplane mode
ikwia, jhartvu, apeortdz and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:34 am

AA1543 ORD-SAN B737-800 4:40PM

Turkey sandwich or F&C plate. The FA was the best I've had during the pandemic, drinks came pre-poured, and she even dug out a breakfast granola plate for my SO when she asked for any other food options.

I have found that 100% of the time I've asked for cocktails on AA they've been doubles while on UA 100% of time they are singles...

chrisny2, enviroian, AAway and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AA1186 3/5/2021 DFW-AUS

Flight was delayed 45m due to delayed connecting passengers. Announcement was made that there would be no service. Sitting in FC, no offer of water or anything during the delay, even though no one was boarding. During flight, FA ignored call button, which I rang twice. I finally snagged a FA who was walking down the aisle with a trash bag and was able to get a cup of water. Hard to have service on request if requests are ignored. If I were an AA FA, I'd be embarrassed to have that crew as co-workers.
Geordie405, CLT and Spanish like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
ATL-DCA today on Republic, in F. No service of any kind. FAs went missing after the safety demo. Not acceptable. I was reading and had my headphones on 11 to drown out the honking woman behind me who had yet to master the art of INSIDE VOICE so I might have missed the Barclays pitch if it was done.

Friday on PSA and mainline F drinks were offered without asking.

What makes Republic special?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
LAS-LAX, nothing was provided, at least that I could remember, I fell asleep on the quick flight. Granted there was some turbulence for the majority of the flight.

LAX-DEN (SkyWest), no proactive service, but both FAs were in the front galley and I went up to ask for a Woodford which was brought, other requests were granted for passengers in F.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by born sleepy
ATL-DCA today on Republic, in F. No service of any kind. FAs went missing after the safety demo. Not acceptable. I was reading and had my headphones on 11 to drown out the honking woman behind me who had yet to master the art of INSIDE VOICE so I might have missed the Barclays pitch if it was done.

Friday on PSA and mainline F drinks were offered without asking.

What makes Republic special?
I think it's important that FC passengers on Republic insist on being provided with service. I've had no qualms with walking to the back and firmly asking for a drink, even though it shouldn't be necessary. One one flight a few months ago, I asked, and then other people started too and the FA (who was not pleased) was forced to provide a full beverage service.
SkyTeam777, CLT, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I think it's important that FC passengers on Republic insist on being provided with service. I've had no qualms with walking to the back and firmly asking for a drink, even though it shouldn't be necessary. One one flight a few months ago, I asked, and then other people started too and the FA (who was not pleased) was forced to provide a full beverage service.
Noted for the return flight!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
3/5 AA 1088 RDU-MIA 0626-0815 737-800: Proactive beverages in F. No food obviously which is disappointing as this route used to get snack plates
3/5 AA 1293 MIA-STX 1100-1434 737-MAX8: Choice of turkey sandwich or fruit plate in F and snack bags for the whole plane. As always they ran out of sandwiches by row 3 and the woman behind me in row 4 was really annoyed

Excellent flight crew who brought me another beer without me even asking

3/7 AA 2003 STX-CLT 1514-1830 A-321: No snack bags which is interesting as this flight is way longer than the MIA leg. Same choice of sandwich or fruit plate. Terrible crew who claimed an hour out of CLT they had to sit down and stop serving and who had no interest in serving befor erthen either:

3/7 AA 494 CLT-RDU 2249-2352 A-321: No service either cabin.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:34 pm
Suspended

My goodness did AA send a memo out for the CLT-RDU flights to "do whatever you want"?
ldonnelly likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
An F beverage service on short flights has become what was pre departure beverages (something that I think is pretty much gone forever). Lazy FAs get away with not doing it. Now the sad excuse is "COVID."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.