Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
all else equal, maybe... (I leave for IAD flights 50 min earlier than I would leave for a DCA flight at the same departure time), but getting F seats last minute to go to LAS for super bowl weekend narrowed the options...

and actually I think the DFW and CLT connections were still 90+ min... I left home at 4:25pm for the 6pm IAD-LAS and walked off the page at 8:10pm Vegas time. Not bad.

End of the day, I wouldn't pay for UA F, but it was 25k LifeMiles + $30 well spent. My alternative was going to be 20k AA (websaver J) for DCA-MIA-LAS but I would have left 2 hours earlier and arrived 2+ hours later.
A LifeMiles award makes sense in this case.
By the way, I didn't realize Superball was in LAS with 25k fans on the stands until you mentioned it. With the past year's experiences booking tickets to cities where the Superball is organized, you should be lucky to find a premium cabin award.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
A LifeMiles award makes sense in this case.
By the way, I didn't realize Superball was in LAS with 25k fans on the stands until you mentioned it. With the past year's experiences booking tickets to cities where the Superball is organized, you should be lucky to find a premium cabin award.
The Super Bowl is in TPA this year -- but LAS, even in covid-times, is never a bad place to be for Super Bowl Weekend (there are myriad places to watch the game on large screens, and to wager on anything from the winner to the score to whether the coin-toss will be heads or tails).
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 6:20 am

-Service in the air is generally similar to mainline AA except UA folk take orders by status level--for drinks.
Originally Posted by Spanish
Also, taking drink orders by status is asinine.
Have never seen this in my thousands of UA flights. Whatever happened here was an anomaly.
chrisny2 and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Have never seen this in my thousands of UA flights. Whatever happened here was an anomaly.
UA did that for food for a very long time.
However, when there is no food being served, they probably do the same thing for drinks.
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
It's happened on every UA mainline flight I've taken in the last year. DCA-DEN a couple times and one other. I don't think I flew UA mainline for several years before that (just express IAD/CVG).
Spanish likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
-Service in the air is generally similar to mainline AA except UA folk take orders by status level--for drinks... but not for food, which came front to back
I don't recall ever seeing this, but I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if it happens occasionally.

UA typically does prioritize meal orders by status (they only load so many of each choice). What I've experienced most of the time is that the FAs go from front to back and ask everyone their 1st & 2nd choice, and then prioritize.

Other times they bounce around the F cabin and take meal (& drink) orders from the status holders (I believe only GS/1K). Perhaps this is what you observed?

-Buffalo Trace ain't bad, a little more mineral than Woodford (don't worry, I'm not putting the Dasani in it)
In addition to Buffalo Trace, Glenfarclas is another solid choice on UA.

or chicken mozzarella sandwich; or tomato mozzarella sandwich. I got the chicken. It's nice that it's warm, theoretically, but it was borderline soggy, and the chicken is just sliced deli meat like the AA turkey. All else equal, I prefer the AA turkey/arugula sandwich despite having eaten 40 or more of them.
I also prefer AAs sandwich to UAs. Also probably best not to look too closely at the ingredients/nutritional information provided on UAs sandwiches.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by econ
I don't recall ever seeing this, but I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if it happens occasionally.
I've been on four UA mainline flights in the last 180 days: 2x DCA-DEN, 1x IAD-SJU, and 1x IAD-LAS. All of them have "featured" status-prioritized drink orders.

I also prefer AAs sandwich to UAs. Also probably best not to look too closely at the ingredients/nutritional information provided on UAs sandwiches.
I read the nutritional info. You get nearly a day's worth of sodium and saturated fat with either of UA's warm sandwiches. Not that AA's offerings are necessarily healthy though, and I don't think that we've seen data on those...
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
UA did that for food for a very long time.
However, when there is no food being served, they probably do the same thing for drinks.
Meal choices of course. Haven't ever seen it for drinks, pre or post COVID. I'm GS and have been on 25 UA & 26 UAX flights since 3/20 (all in F)... would love to see it though and grab the BT before it runs out!

Keeping OT: I do think both UA & AA do a decent job up front with drinks. Though I prefer the UA proactively offering on shorter flights vs AA's "you have to ask".
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Recent flights up front:

AA 737-800 (Oasis) BDL-MIA: Very early flight, got a bag of pretzels/water and then mid flight proactively offered a snack box and beverages. Was a bit peculiar seeing a snack box on this flight but assuming double catered from MIA.

AA 777-200 (Super Diamond) MIA-ORD: Snack bags of pretzels/water handed out after boarding, after takeoff first cart was drinks and the next cart had the Turkey sandwiches/cheese plates, only cheese plates by the time it got to me. Refills offered throughout.

Envoy E175 ORD-BDL: No snacks, drinks with multiple refills offered proactively, this crew worked their butts off.

All in all very happy, and if you're going to be flying American Eagle right now try to make it a flight operated by Envoy.
SkyTeam777 and platbrownguy like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Recent flights up front:

AA 737-800 (Oasis) BDL-MIA: Very early flight, got a bag of pretzels/water and then mid flight proactively offered a snack box and beverages. Was a bit peculiar seeing a snack box on this flight but assuming double catered from MIA.

AA 777-200 (Super Diamond) MIA-ORD: Snack bags of pretzels/water handed out after boarding, after takeoff first cart was drinks and the next cart had the Turkey sandwiches/cheese plates, only cheese plates by the time it got to me. Refills offered throughout.

Envoy E175 ORD-BDL: No snacks, drinks with multiple refills offered proactively, this crew worked their butts off.

All in all very happy, and if you're going to be flying American Eagle right now try to make it a flight operated by Envoy.
This was as a non-rev?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fwfdan
This was as a non-rev?
Nope, paid first. Leisure trip for me and got a decent deal so figured why not plus AA is still serving liquor.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Nope, paid first. Leisure trip for me and got a decent deal so figured why not plus AA is still serving liquor.
Good info... From my non-rev days I never considered service, good or bad (and I had both due to NRSA status), indicative of true service levels.
FlyDeltaMD88 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by econ

I just wish AA would make an effort to present these sandwiches better; they look like something that came from a middle school cafeteria in a brown bag though they do taste fine.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
AS elite who sticks to AS domestically here. Flew LAX-DFW-SEA this past Saturday just to be on a 787-9, for a change.

Both flights offered the turkey sandwich, which tasted very good. I got it on both legs. I feel the AS sandwich offering is a little more filling (thanks to thicker bread and a little more veggies) and tastes a tad better thanks to the side sauce they provide. Cookie was alright. I really enjoyed the booze offerings though. I'd get two mini bottles of Woodford every time I ordered one

My friend got the cheese plate on one of the legs and was not impressed. I guess the AS F&C plate spoiled him.

One thing that struct me was how the FAs, on both legs, did a beverage service once after take-off and then disappeared. Never asked for refills. Basically anything served after initial service was per request. Again, this was very diff for me since AS FAs have been great about refills and passing aroudn cabin with snack basket. Maybe I got unlucky with crew. I have the same run next month. We'll see how it goes.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
AS elite who sticks to AS domestically here. Flew LAX-DFW-SEA this past Saturday just to be on a 787-9, for a change.

Both flights offered the turkey sandwich, which tasted very good. I got it on both legs. I feel the AS sandwich offering is a little more filling (thanks to thicker bread and a little more veggies) and tastes a tad better thanks to the side sauce they provide. Cookie was alright. I really enjoyed the booze offerings though. I'd get two mini bottles of Woodford every time I ordered one

My friend got the cheese plate on one of the legs and was not impressed. I guess the AS F&C plate spoiled him.

One thing that struct me was how the FAs, on both legs, did a beverage service once after take-off and then disappeared. Never asked for refills. Basically anything served after initial service was per request. Again, this was very diff for me since AS FAs have been great about refills and passing aroudn cabin with snack basket. Maybe I got unlucky with crew. I have the same run next month. We'll see how it goes.
Pardon me for asking, but you flew LAX to SEA...through DFW?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.