Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 23, 20, 5:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
Wiki Link
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 21, 21, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
What about the data point of it being sheer insanity to fly LAS-RNO via DFW and PHX?
Ya know this is FlyerTalk after all...
Old Jan 21, 21, 7:14 pm

What about the data point of it being sheer insanity to fly LAS-RNO via DFW and PHX?
I actually stood up and applauded when I saw the routing.
cesco.g, enviroian, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 21, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Makes sense for those who may be earning status on partner airlines (e.g. AS, BA).
Geordie405 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jan 21, 21, 8:09 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I thought my SFO-LAX-PHX-SAN routing tomorrow was decadent, bit its child's play compared to the routing above.
wrp96, Geordie405 and zip10001 like this.
Old Jan 21, 21, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
in fairness... AA/Eagle doesn’t fly this right now so you have to go via PHX / DFW if you want to stick on AA. This is one of my bi-weekly or monthly routes and we’ve been moved to Southwest and Delta (new route for delta) as a result
Old Jan 22, 21, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Because of reduced banks AA is offering a number of strange and out of the way connections. I've even take some of them because of timing and strangely enough the upfares are usually cheap. A couple examples MIA/LGA/RDU and RIC/LGA/CLT/VPS. I've also noticed that in certain situations AA is offering connections greater than 4 hours.
Old Jan 22, 21, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
I know, right?! All joking aside, we had good pricing in F plus with my travels being credited to the BAEC and not AA it was a good way to get 6 x 40 TPs towards maintaining status. Plus with the Centurion lounges being open again it was a good opportunity to visit the LAS lounge since it's been refurbished, plus the DFW one as well as the new Escape lounge in PHX.
Old Jan 22, 21, 1:44 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Doing IAD-MCO next month via CLT; going the EQS route this year & no stickers (which I only have 2 of) required for upgrades.

DCA-MCO direct was the same price.

Looking forward to checking out the Centurion & being able to contribute here for the first time.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jan 22, 21, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
A BAEC member who would like to maximize Tier Points in FlyerTalk without time constraints or other stuff would take that routing.
You are getting x3 of the Tier Points ( status qualification points ) compared to when you fly direct, which is a great value for us.

I have flown DCA-DFW-MIA-RDU and SFO-PHX-DFW-LAX ( plus some more creative itineraries ) this year because I didn't have any time constraints and the price was the same as a direct flight.
Old Jan 22, 21, 5:40 pm
Suspended

OT: I've flown BDL-DCA-LGA-CLT-DAB before because it was the only award routing available. Talked with some AA employees and that wasn't even the strangest routing they've seen.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jan 22, 21, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Just a quick data point regarding FA's making their own rules. I frequently fly a short regional flight on PSA to/from CLT, and usually in F they offer a PDB or get pre-orders for in flight (30 minutes in air). Tonight we got the "No food or beverages" for anyone, even F. Not a big deal, just inconsistent.
Old Jan 23, 21, 3:18 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SW A List, SW Companion Pass, Marriott Gold
Flew the DFW to Maui flight this past week. Tiny snack box served in coach both ways. Cheese spread, Oreos, almonds, cranberries, wheat thins. With your choice of non-alcoholic beverage, because in the words from the flight attendant “there is no longer alcohol on board because of too many crazy people flying these days”.
Old Jan 23, 21, 3:57 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I doubt 'crazy' people' have anything to do with it, I think its a conscious choice for AA not to serve alcohol to Y pax - likely a blend of cost cutting for MCE seats and FA push back on enhanced service and the risks of COVID and all that jazz.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 21, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
We actually quite enjoyed the cheese plate on our 4 legs earlier this month, more than some of the hot dishes we've had (excluding international).

But does anyone which cheeses are in the tray? I honestly can't name them with confidence even though I enjoyed them.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 21, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
We actually quite enjoyed the cheese plate on our 4 legs earlier this month, more than some of the hot dishes we've had (excluding international).

But does anyone which cheeses are in the tray? I honestly can't name them with confidence even though I enjoyed them.

Thanks!
Plastic. That ain’t cheese.

Search this Thread