Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Nice offering!
Just wondering how that cold cheese & cracker (NW corner of tray) thing got onto that breakfast menu??
I love it - I set it aside, and have it as a snack mid-flight.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Nice offering!
Just wondering how that cold cheese & cracker (NW corner of tray) thing got onto that breakfast menu??
Not so common in the US but almost any hotel in Europe will have cheese on their breakfast buffet.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:53 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Recently, I have flown DCA-LAX in Y and I have hit the call button to request a drink ( non-alcoholic ) and my request was promptly served.
As it would, as DCA-LAX is over the mileage limit and has scheduled beverage service. It's the flights less than 2200 miles where you have to issue a request.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
As it would, as DCA-LAX is over the mileage limit and has scheduled beverage service. It's the flights less than 2200 miles where you have to issue a request.
This specific request was made 45 minutes before landing while the only scheduled beverage and biscoff service was made 30 minutes after takeoff.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:14 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
This specific request was made 45 minutes before landing while the only scheduled beverage and biscoff service was made 30 minutes after takeoff.
The policy states "Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight" not "beverage service after takeoff" so I would always expect on a flight that long the crew would oblige.

I flew LAX-DCA in November and there was a beverage service prior to arrival as well in Y.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I flew DFW-DCA this past Monday and then DCA-MIA on Tuesday. Full PDBs offered on both flights in F! At first I thought it might be because there would be no alcohol offered once airborne due to recent DC issues, but that was definitely not the case. Great proactive crews on both flights. Certainly not complaining here, but the only thing consistent on AA is inconsistency.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I flew DFW-DCA this past Monday and then DCA-MIA on Tuesday. Full PDBs offered on both flights in F! At first I thought it might be because there would be no alcohol offered once airborne due to recent DC issues, but that was definitely not the case. Great proactive crews on both flights. Certainly not complaining here, but the only thing consistent on AA is inconsistency.

-FlyerBeek
Fascinating re: PDBs!
As for booze, that was just last Thursday and Friday... but according to the NYT, they're restricting booze again on all flights to or from DCA this coming Saturday through Thursday. I've got a DCA-DFW on Monday, will be curious to see if it is in fact dry.
DCAAlex likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Fascinating re: PDBs!
As for booze, that was just last Thursday and Friday... but according to the NYT, they're restricting booze again on all flights to or from DCA this coming Saturday through Thursday. I've got a DCA-DFW on Monday, will be curious to see if it is in fact dry.
I'll be hitching a ride from MIA-DCA Sunday night and will add my data point. That said, my last 2 MIA-DCA flights, despite being American Mainline flights, offered no beverage service. Maybe I'll be surprised though - new year, new AA?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I’ve been on quite a few DL flights in FC recently and regrettably on a elite challenge and can say I will likely not even pursue this anymore.

AA is far more customer centric these days and the FC service is so much better.

I ended up missing AA so yes I’ll be back very soon.
brc757rr, cmd320 and AAEmpireState like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’ve been on quite a few DL flights in FC recently and regrettably on a elite challenge and can say I will likely not even pursue this anymore.

AA is far more customer centric these days and the FC service is so much better.

I ended up missing AA so yes I’ll be back very soon.
That's an experience-based endorsement. Awesome to hear AA is treating you better than Delta in the premium cabin. Congrats AA.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Certainly not complaining here, but the only thing consistent on AA is inconsistency.
-FlyerBeek
consistent inconsistency > making an UA flier feeling homesick!
cl.lurker, cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
consistent inconsistency > making an UA flier feeling homesick!
True, but after B6, AA has the second best premium product domestically these days and B6 offers Mint on a fairly limited basis.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
To clarify on Hawaii routes, only DFW and ORD departures/arrivals get hot meals in First Class. Other Hawaii routes would get the usual Turkey&Havarti Sandwich or Fruit&Cheese plate offering.
So even the LAX-OGG which is over 5 hours...just a sandwich? Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying
So even the LAX-OGG which is over 5 hours...just a sandwich? Thanks
On DL you would just get snacks (with drinks limited to water and beer/wine without ice) on most flights to Hawaii except those through ATL or MSP, so at least AA is providing some fresh good and full beverage service.

If you are able to, highly recommend you book AA through DFW or ORD as these flights have enhanced catering similar to premium transcontinental.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
DFW - LEX and back this week. Beverages only in F as expected. No other snacks available.

F went out 8/12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.