Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Old Nov 12, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SeatOfMyPants
Oh my. I think my dog yacked up something like that once.
I was about to say... it looks like they plated a cat’s hairball.
hurnik likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That looks awful, and I bet it's a lot of senior FAs not caring at all. This is a hey day for them. Survived furlough and onboard service (never monitored) at all time lows. I hope very single non-compliant FA gets reported on here. If they're banning pax for not following the rules, FAs need to be identified by the company for not following policy.
The issue is that F isn't really being sold so most people are non-revs and this gives the crew an excuse to do the bare minimum. I have actually had better service in J than F on recent flights.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
That looks awful, and I bet it's a lot of senior FAs not caring at all. This is a hey day for them. Survived furlough and onboard service (never monitored) at all time lows. I hope very single non-compliant FA gets reported on here. If they're banning pax for not following the rules, FAs need to be identified by the company for not following policy.
Agreed, but reporting it on here doesn't do anything other than making us feel good, or call AA out publicly. People need to report to AA directly if they want it to be truly documented.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Agreed, but reporting it on here doesn't do anything other than making us feel good, or call AA out publicly. People need to report to AA directly if they want it to be truly documented.
Your point is completely valid but sadly, unless it is coming from a CK or EXP, AA doesn't really care. To my understanding, AA is very good tracking complaints from lower tier members and after a while, they will pretty much start sending them canned responses even if the passengers filed a legitimate complaint. I don't agree with this policy, but we can't expect better from an airline that has been plagued by worst-in-class "leaders" like Doug Parker.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder if the flight attendant apologized as he/she put that plate down in front of the OP's wife. They should be ashamed and horribly embarrassed by serving that slop. Gross!
Old Nov 13, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by cmd320
I was about to say... it looks like they plated a cat’s hairball.
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder if the flight attendant apologized as he/she put that plate down in front of the OP's wife. They should be ashamed and horribly embarrassed by serving that slop. Gross!
I definitely think it was mis-plated in terms of presentation, but it was also still ice cold in the middle. Quite sad since pasta is normally the "safe" choice on planes.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by HiAperture
I definitely think it was mis-plated in terms of presentation, but it was also still ice cold in the middle. Quite sad since pasta is normally the "safe" choice on planes.
From the photo its quite hard to discern that as pasta - yikes!
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
On more bright-sided news, I flew MIA-MCO the other day (aside from the gate agent trying to be sneeky by removing me off the upgrade list and clearing all nonrevs into first before I called her out for it). During boarding, our FA came by saying the flight would be too short for him to do a drink service in the air, so if we wanted anything to drink, he offered to serve it to us on the ground. So basically, a PDB... I forgot those existed
Old Nov 13, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
On more bright-sided news, I flew MIA-MCO the other day (aside from the gate agent trying to be sneeky by removing me off the upgrade list and clearing all nonrevs into first before I called her out for it). During boarding, our FA came by saying the flight would be too short for him to do a drink service in the air, so if we wanted anything to drink, he offered to serve it to us on the ground. So basically, a PDB... I forgot those existed
You never know what you're going to get on this route. Flew it last month and there was nothing. Flew it last week and there was beverage service on request once in the air.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:50 pm

I hope very single non-compliant FA gets reported on here.
I hope the married and defacto ones get reported as well and the ones that are just a little bit single too
hypertext likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
So the gate agent was trying to upgrade non-revs over you? That's a serious violation and you should report it to AA. MIA is full of bad agents who should be terminated.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
God, MIA is such a horrible hub. The service has been so pathetic IME relative to other hubs. As far as the MCO-MIA route, I flew this pre-pandemic and received a PDB, and a drink AND refill in the air, plus a snack basket passing. But it sure seems laziness prevails and is accepted these days "because of COVID."
chrisny2 and ikwia like this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
God, MIA is such a horrible hub. The service has been so pathetic IME relative to other hubs. As far as the MCO-MIA route, I flew this pre-pandemic and received a PDB, and a drink AND refill in the air, plus a snack basket passing. But it sure seems laziness prevails and is accepted these days "because of COVID."
I've actually had generally very good experiences with MIA crews lately, at least those in F on MIA-LAX 77W flights. The general domestic flights are meh.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
MIA was always my least favorite LAA hub personnel wise but then US Airways came along and CLT made me appreciate MIA.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:39 pm

Lax-jfk on AA 4, 9pm departure. Website says only a snack is catered, but a full meal on a single tray was offered. Crew was wonderful on lax-jfk -, much better than the surly crew we met on the jfk-mia flight we took right after.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.