Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Barclays companion certificate and Coronavirus COVID-19

Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP

I have a trip booked utilizing the $99 Barclays companion certificate. My certificate was due to expire in May, the trip is in April. It looks like the trip will be cancelled. AA is reducing capacity, and given what is happening right now, unless things change drastically soon, there is no good reason to take a trip just for fun. Do you think I will get my certificate back with more time to use? Or is it forfeited and I will get a refund? Tickets were booked in January, so before this really hit the USA. Any collective wisdom on what might happen would be great.
Has anyone had their companion certificate trip get cancelled? What was the outcome.

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
In this case, its best to call AA closer to your trip in April.
I am sure, that in what is happening around the world.. AA will extend that cert. for a reasonable period, probably if you still plan to travel.
If of course you choose not to travel.. well then the cert. really has meaning.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP
Just to update. 1 of 4 flights were cancelled. I called Aa meeting services, as the certificate uses to book. They could change the reservation or cancel it all together, but have nothing to do with the certificates. They suggested I call Barclays. I did. They got word today that certificates expiring March-May will be extended to August and all accounts will be noted. When I want to rebook, I am to book the same way as I had originally booked. If a new certificate is needed to be mailed in, it is under past rewards online in the Barclays website. Given where we are, August isn’t much. But it is something.
aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tbd1579
Just to update. 1 of 4 flights were cancelled. I called Aa meeting services, as the certificate uses to book. They could change the reservation or cancel it all together, but have nothing to do with the certificates. They suggested I call Barclays. I did. They got word today that certificates expiring March-May will be extended to August and all accounts will be noted. When I want to rebook, I am to book the same way as I had originally booked. If a new certificate is needed to be mailed in, it is under past rewards online in the Barclays website. Given where we are, August isn’t much. But it is something.
Thanks for this! I'm in the same situation. My flight this weekend needed to be cancelled for obvious reasons and I was entitled to a full refund due to a schedule change. The person at AA wasn't able to do anything about the companion certificate, so I've contacted Barclays to see what they can do.

Although, my gut feeling is that this whole situation won't be any better in August.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:33 pm

AA COVID-19 change policy with companion certificate?

Hello,

I have a companion certificate and debating booking some fall travel (mostly because I need something on the books to feel sane!). I found a Main Cabin fare that I like, and before I book, does anyone know what happens in the event of a change/cancellation?

For a straight change, does the existing companion cert 'stick' assuming it follows all the rules?

For cancellation to a voucher, do we get a new certificate or is that something we'd have to fight for with Barclays/AA? I'd assume the $99 + tax is not refundable but would instead be part of the AA voucher, am I right in that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.