Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
Here is a link I found that spells out the requirements for keeping the 25% going. I found this AFTER I talked to a CitiBank rep who told me I needed to keep $50,000
in the account to get the boost. That was wrong, and came on the heels of another rep mistakenly thinking the account was a credit card. I have never encountered
a bank that was as useless as Citi. I want to take my 50 k out , I got my miles last week, but I'm not sure what pain will be triggered by removing my money from these
people.

https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/a...arketplace.pdf
bosman likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by kavade
Here is a link I found that spells out the requirements for keeping the 25% going. I found this AFTER I talked to a CitiBank rep who told me I needed to keep $50,000
in the account to get the boost. That was wrong, and came on the heels of another rep mistakenly thinking the account was a credit card. I have never encountered
a bank that was as useless as Citi. I want to take my 50 k out , I got my miles last week, but I'm not sure what pain will be triggered by removing my money from these
people.

https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/a...arketplace.pdf
I took my funds out as soon as the miles posted. The service level was abysmal , I didnt want my funds sitting there !
Old Nov 20, 2020, 12:28 pm

miles received

Account opened June 18; $50,000 deposit July 16; 40,000 AA miles received November 13. No calls.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by barnetda
I took my funds out as soon as the miles posted. The service level was abysmal , I didnt want my funds sitting there !
what kind of "service" did you want or need? Honestly curious.
I didn't need any service at all, I just parked some cash there in the savings account and will close the whole thing when they give me my points.
Also enrolled separate $ for their checking and savings account combo under a different promo for $400 cash reward. Not bad to get 10k miles and $400 for 90 days of just sitting there. I don't need any service, but I'll definitely cash out and close it down as soon as I get my rewards.
Maybe you had some special needs? Can't imagine this would be very complicated but perhaps they screwed something up for you?
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:12 am

I'm a month out (hopefully) from my 40k points dropping (based on the 5 month timeframe) and plan on getting my funds out asap, SO, what was you method for getting yours out?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Just wanted to reconfirm if someone could. Do you earn 2.5x AA on grocery on the MileUp card with $10k in the savings account? I just opened the savings recently and did my first purchase tonight, but will probably take a while to actually see results. I have quite a bit of grocery spend to do and just want to know this is a good option. Thanks!

Last edited by glocklt4; Dec 4, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Just wanted to reconfirm if someone could. Do you earn 2.5x AA on the MileUp card with $10k in the savings account? I just opened the savings recently and did my first purchase tonight, but will probably take a while to actually see results. I have quite a bit of grocery spend to do and just want to know this is a good option. Thanks!
No
you earn 1.25x, a 25% monthly bonus based on charges to the card. Not a 2.5x bonus.
But yes, all it takes is $10k in the account to trigger the one time bonus miles for opening the account, and monthly 25% bonus. Not sure what amount you have to leave in it to keep the 25% monthly bonus going and to avoid citi fees
Old Dec 4, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
No
you earn 1.25x, a 25% monthly bonus based on charges to the card. Not a 2.5x bonus.
But yes, all it takes is $10k in the account to trigger the one time bonus miles for opening the account, and monthly 25% bonus. Not sure what amount you have to leave in it to keep the 25% monthly bonus going and to avoid citi fees
Sorry I was not clear above, I meant grocery spend specifically. I think we are saying the same thing though. Grocery = 2x AA on MileUp. 25% bonus with savings account = 2.5x on grocery. I'm not talking about anything except grocery spend on the MileUp card. My understanding of the terms supports this, how it says a 25% bonus on all miles earned in the statement, but just making sure that definitely works in real life.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:28 pm

I received 1099-INT from citi today. They valued the bonus miles at .0095/mile.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
I received 1099-INT from citi today. They valued the bonus miles at .0095/mile.
Got my 1099-INT yesterday, which I wasn't expecting. Does this only apply to bank account offers or are credit card offers now getting 1099's?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:52 am

I have only received 1099-INT from Bank account offers. This goes back many years.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
I received the 1099-INT also. Is this just for the initial bonus after the required spending, or will this be yearly for the 25% bonus on daily purchases?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by CLTRob
I received the 1099-INT also. Is this just for the initial bonus after the required spending, or will this be yearly for the 25% bonus on daily purchases?
Looks to me like it's only on the sign-up bonus. As others have mentioned, 1099s are generally tied to banking activities, not credit card activities. Opening the savings account was a banking activity.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: Citi Miles Ahead
Terrible Terrible Citi Miles Ahead

Opened and funded account in mid-Sept. Still waiting for miles to be credit. Absolutely junk customer service. Will never as in never give them any money after closing the account.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by UInrealCiti
Opened and funded account in mid-Sept. Still waiting for miles to be credit. Absolutely junk customer service. Will never as in never give them any money after closing the account.
Yeah, all Filipinos. Very friendly but either unable to understand your issue or not able to do anything about it.
I couldn't think of a reason to keep the account open once my miles finally posted so I had to call to close it. Be prepared for the question, "If I may ask you sir, why are you closing the account?" My response was that I had a different investment to put the funds into and that seemed to cut-short any plan to try to keep me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.