Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: aadvantage
citi scam

Whoa-unbelievable how Citi is no different then street scammers. Hey, wanna buy a watch. I opened the Citi Miles Ahead Savings Account because they solicited me. Not once but twice. I opened the account at $10K and waited for the miles. 90+ days later no reward bonus miles. So, the merry go round began and continues. Opened a dispute. Dispute was promptly researched and received a reply stating:
Unfortunately, Promotion Code 4KPHH24HFR was not offered in conjunction with the above
account. While Citi does offer AA advantage Miles promotions at times, those offers are only
available to the individual to whom the offer was addressed.
I faxed over the offer a number of times. Then called the CitiPhone 1-888-248-4226 listed in the denial letter. Could not get a straight answer from any of the representatives I spoke with. They kept referring to the "back office" needing to review my case and the information provided. Was never able to get the representatives to confirm receipt of the faxes.
The odd part of this denial of offer is that I have been receiving the 25% bonus miles when using the linked credit card.
Am currently on hold with a "supervisor" named Michelle who seems to have a connectivity problem.
Long and short of it is will go to the post office and send copies to the address provided on the letter CITIBANK, N.A.
100 CITIBANK DRIVE
SAN ANTONIO TX 78245-9966
and will pay to have it delivered with signature receipt.
Once miles have been received will promptly close all Citi accounts-except possibly my Costco Visa. Damn.
Everythingisascam likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 6:21 pm

Dealing with the same issue, nearly identical. I have filed a dispute with Citi after calling 6 times to find out why my spending bonus and lump sum miles bonus are yet to be paid...going on 173 days since account creation.

How is it possible that Citi can get away with this? Am considering filing a complaint with the CFPB knowing no one else to turn to. I suppose there is a reason Citi bank gets atrocious ratings...
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Everythingisascam
Dealing with the same issue, nearly identical. I have filed a dispute with Citi after calling 6 times to find out why my spending bonus and lump sum miles bonus are yet to be paid...going on 173 days since account creation.

How is it possible that Citi can get away with this? Am considering filing a complaint with the CFPB knowing no one else to turn to. I suppose there is a reason Citi bank gets atrocious ratings...
I like your CFPB idea and may follow your lead. I recently got a survey from Citi (credit card side) about my satisfaction with the card and I gave low ratings and wrote about this issue. While taking the survey I tried to find life reference materials confirming that the 25% bonus for maintaining a $10k banking balance and couldn't find anything. When I look at my Citi Miles Ahead savings account while logged in, there are no references to American Airlines or this bonus either. Can you point to anything online confirming that this benefit still exists?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:47 am

I had a few more calls to them yesterday. I found the full promotion details at travel-on-points.com (can't link here yet but can upload a pic if you need). I do not believe they are still allowing people to join this promotion.

The Citi 'back office,' who apparently controls this promotion, mailed me a letter asking for me to fax them proof that I signed up. An absurd and difficult task that I suspect is to dissuade customers from further pursuing their rightfully earned rewards. I signed up for Citi's promotion from their website when the offer was in my account, but evidently, they can't tell that. While I do have a signup confirmation email from them that ALSO spells out the promotion details, it doesn't have the specific promo code itself in the email so I have low faith that Citi will honor their promotion, despite my account saying 'Miles Ahead Savings' all over it... such incompetence and dishonesty is shameful and exactly why no one trusts banks. I used a free promotion on the 'myfax.com' website and have faxed them this email confirmation. I located my Citi confirmation email by searching for 'Citi Miles Ahead Savings' in my email, perhaps you can use the same search. I have filed complaints against Citi via the Federal Reserve, the CFPB, the OCC, Trust Pilot, the BBB, and Consumer Affairs. I'm quite bothered by their deceitfulness, abuse of power, and ineptitude.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:56 am

I do not believe the promotion is still accepting applicants. I found my confirmation email from Citi with the promotion details and I have faxed that in to them per their request (an absurd request that I suspect is designed to dissuade customers from seeking their rightfully earned rewards). I searched my email for 'Citi Miles Ahead Savings' to find that. The full promotion details are also on the travel-on-points.com website if you need reference.

I'm quite bothered by their incompetence, abuse of power, and deceitfulness. I have low faith they will give me my rewards. I have filed complaints with the Federal Reserve, CFPB, OCC, Trust Pilot, the BBB, and Consumer Affairs. I will never bank with them again. Unsure if talking to American will have any impact, but I'm fairly drained by the energy and amount of effort already put into this debacle.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Same situation for me and the Mrs. We both opened separate accounts. After 1 year I noticed I had never received the 20,000 miles so I called and they opened up an investigation. After about 10 days the miles appeared in my account (2 days ago). Different for my wife. She opened in November 2023 and hasn't received the miles. She called and they opened an investigation. After about 10 days Citi sent her a denial letter similar to #166 above. She has the documentation of her invitation so she sent it in to the San Antonio address...we'll see what happens.
I also am shocked that a company like Citi apparently has no intention of honoring these promotions unless one hounds them to death. I'd be embarrassed to be in their position.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
*deleted*
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Everythingisascam
I do not believe the promotion is still accepting applicants. I found my confirmation email from Citi with the promotion details and I have faxed that in to them per their request (an absurd request that I suspect is designed to dissuade customers from seeking their rightfully earned rewards). I searched my email for 'Citi Miles Ahead Savings' to find that. The full promotion details are also on the travel-on-points.com website if you need reference.

I'm quite bothered by their incompetence, abuse of power, and deceitfulness. I have low faith they will give me my rewards. I have filed complaints with the Federal Reserve, CFPB, OCC, Trust Pilot, the BBB, and Consumer Affairs. I will never bank with them again. Unsure if talking to American will have any impact, but I'm fairly drained by the energy and amount of effort already put into this debacle.
I don't recall this being a "promotion" per say. I was under the impression that the 25% RDM bonus on credit card spend would be offered as a standing account benefit rather than a limited promotion. I signed up for my account some time ago, either 2021 or 2022. I don't have any emails about it in my archive, so I may have gotten a mailer. This "offer" matches my recollection:

https://travel-on-points.com/citi-mi...savings-offer/

This says "25% more miles earning on your card on purchases of up to $50,000 spent per year." which shows it is an ongoing benefit. I never saw any communications that they ended this benefit so as far as I'm concerned, I should still be hauling in that bonus, but I haven't seen any bonus miles over the years I've maintained this account and my Citi AAdvantage Executive card.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:20 am

Update: The Fed Reserve complaint was routed back to the CFPB, so I may have two filings against Citi via the CFPB now.

I used the 'schedule an appointment' feature on the website. Naturally, come appointment time, the link did not work properly. 10 minutes after the scheduled appointment time I did get a call from one of their bankers in a DC branch who had me email him my confirmation email and bank statement and he is now working with the mysterious 'back office' to see what can be done. What an embarrassment of a bank. I've taken copious notes on the conversations with their support centers in India, Guatemala, and Philippines. Been lied to or fed vastly different stories every time. Still shocked banks can get away with treating customers like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
For anybody who currently has a MilesAhead account open - will the conversion to "simplified banking" affect the account at all? My reading is "no", because it is not a checking account, so there are no fees, but it's not entirely clear to me from Citi's literature.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:06 am

Amazing that Citi is still stiffing people on these bonus offers. In the early 2000s there was a publicly advertised offer to earn a cash bonus for opening a new checking account. I signed up with the full intention of using it as my main account, but it took 6+ months plus multiple phone calls to receive the bonus. I was so put off by the whole experience. I remember thinking if they were to treat me like this for something simple, how would they treat me if a problem happened? I promptly closed the account. For the last 20+ years, I have probably received 100 mailers asking me to sign up for an account and receive either a cash bonus or miles. Not a chance.

All I can say is that this level of disfunction has to be intentional or part of their culture on the banking side. I get that banks have thin margins on their deposit accounts. But consistently giving people a hard time about getting these bonuses has to be backfiring for them. In my case, they basically lost a customer for life in addition to the bonus money they paid me.
Old May 12, 2024, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by rill2503456
For anybody who currently has a MilesAhead account open - will the conversion to "simplified banking" affect the account at all? My reading is "no", because it is not a checking account, so there are no fees, but it's not entirely clear to me from Citi's literature.
I agree except Citi says the balance will contribute to “CAMB.”There’s a page where you can select your actual account and it explains what will change about it.
Old May 20, 2024, 6:52 am

Bonus miles posted today

Some positive data point here.
My timeline:
01/29/24: Miles Ahead savings account opened (follow the link from my own citi account)
02/06: transferred 50k into the account, and keep the balance of 50k until 05/13
05/20: 40k AA miles posted
Old Jun 18, 2024, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/Oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I've had the Citi Miles Ahead savings account for several years now. I noticed that I did not receive my bonus miles as of my June 13 credit card closing and called the bank to find out more information. Evidently, the benefit of this account is going away. It's a real downer, because I really benefitted from it.
Old Jun 21, 2024, 6:42 pm

I closed my account last week after seeing an alert indicating I'd be subject to monthly service fees for my ~$12k balance. Kind of funny, when maintaining a $10k balance was originally supposed to net me a 25% RDM bonus on my Citi AAdvantage Executive spend. The only thing this account was good for was the initial bonus for account opening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.