Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Citi AAdvantage Miles Ahead Savings Account

Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:11 pm

The lady today said my savings account and card aren't linked. Uhh I see both accounts under my login and pretty sure you can't open the savings account without having the card. I am just closing it. Absolute worst customer service ever.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TFerguson
The lady today said my savings account and card aren't linked. Uhh I see both accounts under my login and pretty sure you can't open the savings account without having the card. I am just closing it. Absolute worst customer service ever.
Might be better off moving the money to Bask Bank mileage or interest account.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:30 am

This is what you get with Citibank

Customer Message

Phone support said my savings and my cc weren't linked so I am not getting my 25% bonus miles. The website tells me they are linked.

Read 8:57 AM

Agent Message

Please do not worry I will definitely check that for you , please allow me 3-4 minutes to find a proper resolution and answer

8:39 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

OK

Agent Message

Just to confirm are they saying that your credit card is not linked with your savings account under rpomotion offer

8:41 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

Correct - my cit miles ahead savings and my AAdvantage Citi card

Agent Message

Just to confirm have you completed your purchases on credit card that you need to complete within a year

8:44 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

Maybe - what purchases do In need to complete?

Customer Message

For the 25% bonus miles?

Customer Message

The last lady I spoke with said the reason I am not getting the bonus is because the accounts aren't linked. I'd just like confirmation if that is true or not.

Agent Message

I am really sorry over here on chat we have no access to check , we only handles savings or checking account concern they are have more access than us and can check for credit cards linking as well so i am sorry i cannot confirm this

8:47 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

Can you tell me what what purchases do In need to complete for the 25% bonus miles?

Agent Message

Please allow me 2 minutes let em check

8:51 AM - Sanji

Agent Message

Thank you so much for your patience. There should be normal credit card transaction for $50,000 or more in a year for extra 25%

8:54 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

OK - Can you direct me to the written rules that state this?

Agent Message

You might have got an email for this

8:55 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

I might have deleted it as I delete many emails. Where are you looking to see the rules?

Agent Message

I am checking on my system , and i may not abel to share it with you

8:58 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

This is from the email "Earn up to 50,000 AAdvantage miles for future travel" "After you open a Citi Miles Ahead℠ Savings Account in the Citi Miles Ahead℠ Banking Package and deposit a minimum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) in your Citi Miles Ahead℠ Savings Account (the date of the deposit is the “Additional Miles Eligibility Date”), you will earn 25% more AAdvantage miles for the first fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) in purchases per calendar year that appear on your Card Account billing statements issued after your Additional Miles Eligibility Date (“Additional AAdvantage Miles”). We will multiply the total amount of AAdvantage miles earned on purchases made using this Card Account during a billing cycle in which you are eligible for Additional AAdvantage Miles by 25% and add that resulting number of AAdvantage miles to your AAdvantage account. For example, if per the terms of your Citi / AAdvantage Card Account you earn 1,000 AAdvantage miles for purchases made in a billing cycle, then you will earn an additional 250 AAdvantage miles for that billing cycle. The initial posting of Additional AAdvantage Miles may occur up to 1–2 billing cycles following the Additional Miles Eligibility Date."

Read 9:00 AM

Customer Message

This is the part about the first $50,000 "you will earn 25% more AAdvantage miles for the first fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) in purchases per calendar year"

Read 9:01 AM

Customer Message

That says you earn on the first $50,000, not that you have to spend $50,000

Read 9:02 AM

Customer Message

It says "For full Terms and Conditions, see citi.com/EarnMoreMiles." but that link is no longer valid.

Read 9:03 AM

Agent Message

you will earn 25% more AAdvantage miles for the first fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) in purchases per calendar year" Could you please read again it is clearly mentioned , you will earn 25% more miles for first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year

9:04 AM - Sanji

Customer Message

I my world, dollars 1-49,999 are in the first 50,000

Customer Message

I read that as a cap of 12,500 miles and you are saying it is a minimum of 12,500 miles (25% of 50000)

Read 9:08 AM

Agent Message

Ahh got your exact issue let me connect you with dedicated team they will check for credit card bonus

9:12 AM - Sanji

Agent Message

We’ll connect you as soon as a representative is available. Thanks for your patience.

Agent Message

You're now connected to: Jeff.

Agent Message

Hi! Thanks for contacting Citi. My name is Jeff. I'm here to assist you today.

9:12 AM - Jeff

Customer Message

Hello

Read 9:12 AM

Hello

Read 9:17 AM

Thank you for your patience In this case, I request you to please give a call on the below number so the specific team will assist you

Agent Message

Here is the direct phone number contact our one stop sales unit at 1-800-321-2484. (for TTY: use 711 or other Relay Service). Please note, this department is available Monday - Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. CT

9:18 AM - Jeff

Customer Message

But Sanji said you, Jeff, are on the dedicated team so why hand me off to the phone people?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TFerguson
This is what you get with Citibank
What a mess.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:23 am

I just wasted almost two hours on chat- got transferred 9 times between banking/credit card departments. While some understood the issue (I am getting the 25% bonus on charges from one my my CITI cards, but in err not on the other), nobody took ownership and fixed it.
Will be closing this account this afternoon.
... The chat is so ridiculous. I hope I get a transcript of it.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:31 am

I transferred the funds and then closed my savings account Monday. At least that was easy.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I didn't think Citi could get worse, but we just got an IRS notification Sat about un-reported income from 2021. Turns out that Citi issued a $150 1099-INT back in 2021 for a 20k AA bonus my wife received, but they sent it to a totally wrong City and Zip code. This 1099-INT doesn't even show up on their website, so we had no idea about it at all. There is a 1099-INT on their site which we received for the interest on the savings account, but nothing shows there for the 20k sign up bonus. Seems like interest and sign up bonuses come from two different parts of Citi (different mailing address for Citi on each of them), and some major issue with their database to issue the 1099-INT to an address that doesn't even exist. The mailed 1099-INT should have bounced and been returned to them.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:16 am

Your chat experience mirrored mine. Comical, pathetic, and maddening all at the same time.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by glocklt4
I didn't think Citi could get worse...<snip>
Interesting... that is not a phrase that has ever entered my mind...

Regards
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Citi Miles Ahead Savings No More?

I got a package in the mail today seeming to indicate that the Miles Ahead savings account product will be shelved. On the envelope it says "countdown to your conversion to simplified banking". Getting into the FAQs, it says the following under the header "Changes to Citi Miles Ahead Savings":

Citi Miles Ahead Savings accounts will no longer be in an Account Package. Balances in Citi Miles Ahead savings accounts will automatically contribute to your CAMB.

CAMB? In any case I'm not disappointed. I got a bonus when I opened the account years ago. I'm supposed to get a 25% bonus on my miles earned with the Citi AAdvantage Executive Mastercard for keeping a $10k balance. I haven't seen any extra miles for that and based on reports on FT, anyone who tries to fix this problem gets the runaround between the credit card side of Citi and the banking side, with each saying the other party is responsible. I'll probably just close the savings account and move it elsewhere.

Last edited by TropicalTripper; Jan 11, 2024 at 7:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I got a package in the mail today seeming to indicate that the Miles Ahead savings account product will be shelved. On the envelope it says "countdown to your conversion to simplified banking". Getting into the FAQs, it says the following under the header "Changes to Citi Miles Ahead Savings":

Citi Miles Ahead Savings accounts will no longer be in an Account Package. Balances in Citi Miles Ahead savings accounts will automatically contribute to your CAMB.

CAMB? In any case I'm not disappointed. I got a bonus when I opened the account years ago. I'm supposed to get a 25% bonus on my miles earned with the Citi AAdvantage Executive Mastercard for keeping a $10k balance. I haven't seen any extra miles for that and based on reports on FT, anyone who tries to fix this problem gets the runaround between the credit card side of Citi and the banking side, with each saying the other party is responsible. I'll probably just close the savings account and move it elsewhere.
I got the runaround . It was actually so bad it was comical. I wish I had a transcript of the conversations. I emptied the balance a few months age. While I did receive the 25% for my Citi platinum card, I never received any for my Exec card.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by TropicalTripper

Crap. The 25% bonus on 2x to 2.5x for AA MileUp grocery spend has been pretty good. I haven't done it that much lately though because they were paying no interest on the $10k required. Other bank APY rates shot up in 2021/2022, but it took them a while to raise the rate into 3.x% (I think), but hasn't been high enough to get me to move $ there compared to 5-6% elsewhere.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 10:54 am

Same boat. Chat and phone call. People with little grasp of the English language telling me that the notice I got 3 days ago was effective in December, but doesnt say that anywhere. No more miles. Transferred balance to a money market at my credit union.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:50 am

Got a 90 day legal notice of conversion from Citi. Reading through it, I'm confused if the Citi Miles Ahead Savings product is really disappearing, or if it's getting wrapped under the new type of savings package. As stated above, "Citi Miles Ahead Savings accounts will no longer be in an Account Package. Balances in Citi Miles Ahead Savings accounts will automatically contribute to your CAMB." When doing a chat the person said that the savings will stay as Citi Miles Ahead Savings and benefits will not change. I guess I will just leave our accounts open and see what happens after conversion. I'll park $10k there again for a short time after conversion and see if the 25% bonus posts.

Last edited by glocklt4; Feb 5, 2024 at 9:56 am
Old Feb 5, 2024, 10:58 am

I just opened a Miles Ahead account last week, so I doubt they're killing it off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.