Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upcoming flights--Change fees waived if origin/destination changed?

Old Mar 21, 20, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond

Ok, I've asked this question in two threads and seen others ask it in several threads as well. No responses. Time for a new thread apparently.

Attempts to change a mid-April flight online result in waived change fees only if the origin and destination remain the same. Nowhere in the waiver language do I see that stipulation.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...us-updates.jsp

Does anyone have any insight on this????
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Gold (free 90d status)
Don't really have an exact answer, but my logic would be: 1) since AA doesn't charge change fees, why not just cancel the ticket, retain the original credit 2) use that "credit" and rebook the flights and any destinations you want?
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is admittedly cross posted from two threads, it will be closed. Cross-posing is not allowed.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ronavirus.html
American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of American’s fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date — whichever is sooner.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 21, 20 at 1:12 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: