Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Has American reinstated flights to Australia/NZ?

Old Mar 20, 20, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

American announced it was canceling all flights to/from Australia/NZ. I went into my account to try to get a refund for my canceled flight from Auckland to LA, and it says all systems go. Is this a glitch in the system or have they reinstated flights?
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
LAX-AKL has been reinstated until the originally scheduled end date for the season (March 27).
taffygrrl and jridge like this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Australia has implemented a travel ban.
355F1, DC9 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Australia has implemented a travel ban.
Only for entry of non citizens/non residents. Not a flight ban.
Soft closing of the Australian Border - Midnight Sunday, 15 March

NZ has a similar ban on non citizens/non residents.
Post 25 here of a FTer on the AA LAX-AKL flight---> Soft closing of the NZ Border - Midnight Sunday, 15 March
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:15 pm

AA is operating the flights to AKL till 27 Mar but it seems only NZ citizens/residents can board.
Even though Immigration NZ is allowing Australians to direct transit to Australia through AKL until Mar 29 when I went to check-in for my LAX-AKL-SYD-BNE AA/QF flight today I was told that their system has not been set up to deal with the transit exceptions so won't allow issuing of boarding passes.

Good news is that they are rerouting onto direct Qantas flights to Australia so I will be flying LAX-BNE direct arriving at 6am after 15hrs rather than 6.30pm after 27 hrs travelling.

More good news - my SWU which had me as the only passenger in Business to AKL has stuck for my reroute so I am now booked into C class on the QF non-stop, Less BIS miles but hopefully lots and lots of EQDs/redeemable points!
Old Mar 24, 20, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
AA is operating the flights to AKL till 27 Mar but it seems only NZ citizens/residents can board.
Even though Immigration NZ is allowing Australians to direct transit to Australia through AKL until Mar 29 when I went to check-in for my LAX-AKL-SYD-BNE AA/QF flight today I was told that their system has not been set up to deal with the transit exceptions so won't allow issuing of boarding passes.

Good news is that they are rerouting onto direct Qantas flights to Australia so I will be flying LAX-BNE direct arriving at 6am after 15hrs rather than 6.30pm after 27 hrs travelling.

More good news - my SWU which had me as the only passenger in Business to AKL has stuck for my reroute so I am now booked into C class on the QF non-stop, Less BIS miles but hopefully lots and lots of EQDs/redeemable points!
Good outcome
Hope you make it home. Or already arrived this morning (25 March)? Getting close to a complete lockdown here.
Old Mar 24, 20, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Good outcome
Hope you make it home. Or already arrived this morning (25 March)? Getting close to a complete lockdown here.
Thanks. Yes, arrived at BNE this am.
Just about to board the prison van taking me to my 2 week incarceration. I hope my cell doesn't have a view as that would be frowned upon in some circles
Mwenenzi and pandaperth like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: