Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to park most widebody aircraft, cease most long-haul flying ~16 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dstan
3/15 Official announcement from American Airlines: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...3/default.aspx

Text copied below for archival reference (sorry about the poor formatting of the tables in the last sections)

American Airlines Announces Additional Schedule Changes in Response to Customer Demand Related to COVID-19

Saturday, March 14, 2020, 10:40 PM

Download PDF (English) PDF Format (opens in new window) FORT WORTH, Texas — American Airlines Group Inc. (NASDAQ: AAL) will implement a phased suspension of additional long-haul international flights from the U.S. starting on March 16. This suspension will last through May 6. This change is in response to decreased demand and changes to U.S. government travel restrictions due to coronavirus (COVID-19). The airline will:
  • Reduce international capacity by 75% year over year — from March 16 to May 6
  • Continue to operate one flight daily from Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to London (LHR), one flight daily from Miami (MIA) to LHR and three flights per week from DFW to Tokyo (NRT)
  • Continue short-haul international flying, which includes flights to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and certain markets in the northern part of South America, as scheduled
In addition to the international changes, the airline anticipates its domestic capacity in April will be reduced by 20% compared to last year and May’s domestic capacity will be reduced by 30% on a year over year basis.

International Route Changes

By region, the new schedule changes include the following:

Asia, effective March 16

• American will suspend all remaining flights to Asia, except for three flights per week from DFW to NRT

Australia and New Zealand, effective March 16

• Suspending service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland (AKL) effective March 16, which was slated to end seasonal flying on March 28
  • Suspending service from LAX to Sydney (SYD) effective March 16

Europe, phased suspension

• American will continue to operate one flight daily from DFW to LHR and MIA to LHR
  • Suspending flights from New York (JFK), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), and LAX to LHR gradually over the next seven days to reaccommodate passengers and crew
  • LHR, Dublin (DUB) and Manchester (MAN) flights from Charlotte (CLT), Philadelphia (PHL) and Phoenix (PHX) will be suspended faster, as these airports are not approved gateways by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Final eastbound flights from CLT, PHL and PHX will be on March 15; final westbound flights returning from LHR, DUB and MAN will depart March 16
  • Continued suspensions in other parts of Europe, as previously announced, including the delayed start of some seasonal routes as well as flights to and from Amsterdam (AMS), Barcelona (BCN), Frankfurt (FRA), Madrid (MAD) and Munich (MUC) Paris (CDG) and Zurich (ZRH) through early May, or later, based on guidance from the U.S. government and customer demand

South America, effective March 16

• Suspending service from JFK and MIA to Rio de Janeiro (GIG) and Georgetown, Guyana (GEO)
  • Suspending service from DFW, JFK and MIA to São Paulo (GRU)
  • Suspending service from DFW and MIA to:
    • Chile: Santiago (SCL)
    • Colombia: Bogota (BOG)
    • Ecuador: Guayaquil (GYE) and Quito (UIO)
    • Peru: Lima (LIM)
  • Suspending service from MIA to:
    • Brazil: Brasilia (BSB) and Manaus (MAO)
    • Colombia: Barranquilla (BAQ), Cartagena (CTG), Cali (CLO), Medellin (MDE) and Pereira (PEI)
These capacity reductions assume no slot waivers are in place other than those previously granted. At airports where demand exceeds airfield and/or terminal capacity, access is governed by slots that grant airlines permission to take off and land at specific times. Given the decrease in demand related to COVID-19, American has requested temporary relief from this usage requirement — otherwise known as requesting a slot waiver — to better align capacity with demand without the risk of losing valuable takeoff and landing slots for the future. American will continue to review its network and make adjustments as needed if waivers are granted.

Taking care of customers

American will continue to take care of customers as this situation develops. The airline has announced its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 15 for travel to Europe, including the United Kingdom or Ireland, through May 31. Additionally, American’s Reservations team will contact customers whose flights have been canceled directly by email or telephone. Customers who booked through a travel agent will be contacted by their agency directly. If a flight is canceled and a customer chooses not to be rebooked, they may request a full refund by visiting aa.com/refunds.

Updated Asia schedules:

Origin Destination Schedule change DFW Tokyo-Haneda (HND) Delayed inaugural flight; moved to May DFW Hong Kong (HKG) Suspended March 16 through July 1 LAX Tokyo-Haneda (HND) Suspended March 16 through May 6 LAX Tokyo-Narita (NRT) Suspended March 16 through May 6

Updated Australia schedules:

Origin Destination Schedule change LAX Auckland (AKL) Final westbound flight will return to LAX on March 18; seasonal service is slated to begin again in October LAX Sydney (SYD) Final westbound flight will return to LAX on March 18; service suspended through May 6

Updated Europe schedules:

Origin Destination Schedule change BOS London (LHR) Delayed inaugural flight; moved to May CLT London (LHR) Final eastbound flight on March 15; final westbound flight on March 16 JFK London (LHR) Phased suspension gradually implemented between March 16 and March 23; suspended through May 6 LAX London (LHR) Phased suspension gradually implemented between March 16 and March 23; suspended through May 6 PHL London (LHR) Final eastbound flight on March 15; final westbound flight on March 16 PHX London (LHR) Final eastbound flight on March 15; final westbound flight on March 16 ORD London (LHR) Phased suspension gradually implemented between March 16 and March 23; suspended through May 6

Updated South America schedules:

Origin Destination Schedule change DFW Bogota (BOG) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 DFW São Paulo (GRU) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through June 3 DFW Guayaquil (GYE) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 DFW Santiago (SCL) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through June 3 DFW Quito (UIO) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 DFW Lima (LIM) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 JFK Georgetown (GEO) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 JFK Rio de Janeiro (GIG) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 JFK São Paulo (GRU) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Barranquilla (BAQ) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Bogota (BOG) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Brasilia (BSB) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Cali (CLO) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Cartagena (CTG) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Georgetown (GEO) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Guayaquil (GYE) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Rio de Janeiro (GIG) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Lima (LIM) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Manaus (MAO) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Medellin (MDE) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Pereira (PEI) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Quito (UIO) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA São Paulo (GRU) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6 MIA Santiago (SCL) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6
Print Wikipost

AA to park most widebody aircraft, cease most long-haul flying ~16 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by seigex
How will AA handle cancellations with the schedule change? My flights mentioned above are no longer bookable as of this afternoon, show zeroed out in EF, but my flight is still ticketed. Will it eventually show cancelled so I can get refunded?
If you're able to get through on the phone, I called AA today and they were able to cancel my award tickets and waive the redeposit fee even though the flight still showed as ticketed. Agent however didn't seem to be aware of cancellations until I directed her to the news bulletin on AA.com.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by State of Trance
If you're able to get through on the phone, I called AA today and they were able to cancel my award tickets and waive the redeposit fee even though the flight still showed as ticketed. Agent however didn't seem to be aware of cancellations until I directed her to the news bulletin on AA.com.
I got straight through to an agent at 8:50 PM PDT this evening. My PNR for my April trip back to the UK still shows up on my trips, but when I go to the print receipt portal using the PNR, I can see the flights, but not the details, such as the ticket number, which I will need come the inevitable cancellation time, hence my call to AA.

If I cancel right now, I will get a credit, but until the flight is actually cancelled, the credit will only be good through the end of June as I booked the flights last year, but my preferred new flights are not until August. The agent did try to get round that issue for me, but kept bumping up the validity issue, so I’m stuck waiting until AA officially cancels the flights. She did however get me the ticket numbers. What is puzzling When I select a receipt at the refunds site using the ticket numbers, the total price of the ticket does not match what I paid. The ticket has been re-issued at least twice, so I will keep an eye on what actually gets refunded.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by State of Trance
Mine's not award, it's a revenue ticket, so it might be different, but I'll call and see.

EDIT: Just called AA EXP desk (got through in about 45 seconds) and was told that they aren't showing April flights as cancelled yet so I can't get a refund, my only choice is to get a voucher. So they get to hold on to my money I guess till they decide to cancel the flights.

Last edited by seigex; Mar 17, 2020 at 12:29 am
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
DFW-NRT changing to 3 flights per week

I just heard from a friend of ours, who works at AA at NRT, that the change to 3 flights a week between DFW and NRT probably will start on March 28th. AA might keep flights 61/60, and drop 175/176. No idea which days of the week they will be flying.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by robertablake
I just heard from a friend of ours, who works at AA at NRT, that the change to 3 flights a week between DFW and NRT probably will start on March 28th. AA might keep flights 61/60, and drop 175/176. No idea which days of the week they will be flying.
AA60/61 have been zeroed out after 3/28 but AA175/176 show the previously scheduled flip to HND after 3/28. I have a feeling AA is struggling to figure out what to do each day and they probably don't know what they'll be doing yet either.
robertablake likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Looks like GRU JFK flight will go today, but the return from JFK GRU will not go tomorrow.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
FYI, I asked on AA twitter and got this response:

EDIT: so I cancelled and went to the link they sent, put in my ticket number and last name, it shows the details including the payment information but my only option is to cancel and won't let me move to the next step, with an error telling me to contact AA to reinstate miles (it's a revenue ticket, not a miles ticket)

EDIT2: Contacted the EXP desk and they put in the refund request for the full amount and added the SWUs back in to my account in about 2 minutes.

Last edited by seigex; Mar 17, 2020 at 11:41 am
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I see AA has zero’d out all but one DFW-LHR flight as per their guidance, but the flights have not yet been cancelled. I’m on one April 11 and waiting for it to cancel.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stephem
I see AA has zero’d out all but one DFW-LHR flight as per their guidance, but the flights have not yet been cancelled. I’m on one April 11 and waiting for it to cancel.
It takes time. They still haven't cancelled departures this week that are going to be canceled.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Cut short my extended vacation in Australia/New Zealand and booked AKL-SYD-LAX-AUS for 3/18 on 3/15. AKL-SYD was on QF and that same flight was canceled for 3/19. AA72 SYD-LAX was canceled for 3/19 and when we landed the FAs said to be very certain we had all of our belongings since the plane was going "to the hangar for a long time." It was a 787-9 with J full. Didn't walk back but on EF W was almost full and Y was about 3/4 full. LAX-AUS was only 1/4 full and the tiny J cabin had 1 open seat. A non-rev asked me to move so my seat would be the empty one and she could put her pet carrier there. Paid J was $2k which I thought was ok one-way within 72 hours so I did that since miles tickets were 450k or 480k. My original return was a 195k miles ticket but I'll cancel that in a few days and request miles redeposit.

Am scheduled for RT AUS-LHR-BUD in May in paid J and I'm guessing that won't happen but I'm not canceling for now. Booked via AA on BA metal apparently. Hopefully their A350 doesn't have the tiny J footwell like SQ's does in non-bulkhead.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
All the AA flights from DFW to NRT/HND are now either cancelled or on the 3 day a week schedule but showing no availability from 3/26 thru 5/6. EF shows flight AA61 (DFW-NRT) is now flying 3 days a week on Sunday, Monday and Friday beginning 3/27, but all flights presently show no availability. The return flight AA60 (NRT-DFW) will fly Friday, Saturday and Monday, but showing no availability right now as well.

Does anyone have any idea when the 3 days a week flights AA61/AA60 will open up with availability between 3/26 and 5/6?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
The last announcement AA made about schedule changes was a week ago. A lot of things have changed since then, with several countries shutting down air travel. I check flights every day (we live in ANU, and don't want to be stuck, but feel far safer here now), but is anyone aware of another way to keep up on schedule changes?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
The last announcement AA made about schedule changes was a week ago. A lot of things have changed since then, with several countries shutting down air travel. I check flights every day (we live in ANU, and don't want to be stuck, but feel far safer here now), but is anyone aware of another way to keep up on schedule changes?
If you have flights scheduled I would suggest that you check your reservations every couple of days. AA appears to be cancelling flights on one offs in addition to schedule reductions.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by robertablake
All the AA flights from DFW to NRT/HND are now either cancelled or on the 3 day a week schedule but showing no availability from 3/26 thru 5/6. EF shows flight AA61 (DFW-NRT) is now flying 3 days a week on Sunday, Monday and Friday beginning 3/27, but all flights presently show no availability. The return flight AA60 (NRT-DFW) will fly Friday, Saturday and Monday, but showing no availability right now as well.

Does anyone have any idea when the 3 days a week flights AA61/AA60 will open up with availability between 3/26 and 5/6?
I just returned from Japan, and not sure if this has anything to do with the situation you are observing. Japanese government is now asking people arriving from the U.S. to self quarantine for 14 days upon arrive to Japan. The news I saw in Japan indicated that Japanese government is considering making 14 days quarantine mandatory for people arriving from the U.S. but looks like such order has not being issue by Japanese government, yet.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I live under the flight path for final at DFW. It sure is quiet these days. Not 9/11 quiet as there were no planes period flying but wow what a difference.
355F1 likes this.

Last edited by enviroian; Mar 23, 2020 at 9:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.