Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Email: We are experiencing high call volume (14 Mar 2020)

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite

From AA today, just now:

We appreciate your patience Not traveling in the next few days?
To allow our Reservations team to focus on customers with immediate needs, we are asking those who do not have travel within the next 72 hours to wait until closer to your trip before contacting us.

We recognize this could be frustrating and we are working to support all our customers.
So my response to them is:
OK, that's fair, as long as you don't increase any prices. Can you guarantee that? Of course not. You want a favor from us, but you can't make that promise in return? Usually when I book a flight I'm in a small urgency as I expect the price to increase on me any second.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo
From AA today, just now:

OK, that's fair, as long as you don't increase any prices. Can you guarantee that? Of course not. You want a favor from us, but you can't make that promise in return? Usually when I book a flight I'm in a small urgency as I expect the price to increase on me any second.
They don't really want a favor. They want you to do a favor for your fellow citizens who have immediate travel needs. Their business is in shambles and they can't exactly hire thousands of call center agents overnight.

They also have a website which you could use. It recently started allowing online ticket purchases. It's a really cool technology. I think you can find it at https://www.aa.com. Or you can find it through the netscape web browser.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Seriously? This is a unprecedented time in the airline industry...

AA isn't asking for "a favor." They are trying to deal with a massive amount of travel cancellations and changes in a very near time frame.
estnet and robertablake like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
From AA today, just now:

Just amazing. How sad.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118

Seriously? This is a unprecedented time in the airline industry...

AA isn't asking for "a favor." They are trying to deal with a massive amount of travel cancellations and changes in a very near time frame.
And people want to book travel and not pay more because they held of buying for 3 days.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:53 pm

And people want to book travel and not pay more because they held of buying for 3 days.
There's a website for that.

There are many many more people that have already purchased tickets for the very near term (next days and weeks), that want and need to get those tickets cancelled, rebooked, or refunded before they lose that money; than there are people that need to purchase tickets immediately.

There are people that need to get home from Europe before most flights are shut down.

Those are the people that need to get through to AA right now. Those are the people that are waiting to call does a favor for.
estnet, Beano, FLTripper and 2 others like this.

Last edited by bse118; Mar 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:10 pm

I received the same from DL if it makes you feel any happier, probably not though. It’s. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I've got the email, and it shows up in the app. I called the EXP desk yesterday around 4pm to get a flight change due to a delay causing a missed connection and got through in about 30 seconds. So if you have status at least, you will probably get right through, at least currently.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both UA & DL have sent roughly similar communications as has pretty much every carrier in the world. There's this medical issue out there which is somehow gumming up the system. There are the vast majority of people who take this in stride and then a tiny number who think that they can somehow spite the system.

The message is successful if it works for the 99% of rational people out there.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by seigex
I've got the email, and it shows up in the app. I called the EXP desk yesterday around 4pm to get a flight change due to a delay causing a missed connection and got through in about 30 seconds. So if you have status at least, you will probably get right through, at least currently.
Getting through to the EXP desk hasn't been the issue for me as well. It's the agent having to call the rate desk that has taken 30+ minutes.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:05 pm

azmojo really?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Seems pretty obvious to me that "closer to your trip" was intended for people with disrupted travel plans who are trying to change/cancel/find alternate accommodations. (yeah, I know - eff em, I got things to do...)

Is there a reason you can't book a flight on the web site?
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
There's a website for that.

There are many many more people that have already purchased tickets for the very near term (next days and weeks), that want and need to get those tickets cancelled, rebooked, or refunded before they lose that money; than there are people that need to purchase tickets immediately.

There are people that need to get home from Europe before most flights are shut down.

Those are the people that need to get through to AA right now. Those are the people that are waiting to call does a favor for.
And not everything can be done on the website, and the website has issues some times.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
From AA today, just now:

LOL do you not own a computer or tablet? Never seen anyone who actually calls in to book a flight when all of the information is right there in front of your face to compare flights, costs, etc.

Literally makes zero sense.
AA100k and FLTripper like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:45 pm

And not everything can be done on the website, and the website has issues some times.

Absolutely unprecedented event going on here. Have some perspective...
FLTripper likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.