Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Due to the large reductions in passenger loads due to novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 disease it causes. and subsequent drop in lounge users, American Airlines has announced service curtailments and reductions at some AA lounges.

MOST Admirals Clubs and lounges will be shut down. All food, beverage and shower services will be closed down. Link

See post #70 for the temporary closure and which services remain.

See post #46 for list of changes 19 March 2020.

Major Admiral’s Club, catering, and premium cabin changes coming due to the #coronavirus:

CLOSURES for the interim (Admirals Club unless other specified)
  • MIA Miami D15 (D30 remains open)
  • PHX Phoenix A20 club is closed (the other two locations remain open)
  • JFK New York JFK (use the Flagship lounge)
  • LAX T5 (T4 remains open)
  • DFW Dallas Fort Worth E (A, B, C, and D remain open)
  • ORD Chicago O’Hare G and L (H/K remains open)
  • CDG Paris
  • GIG Rio de Janeiro
  • GRU Sao Paulo
  • EZE Buenos Aires
  • LHR London Heathrow Flagship lounge (Admirals Club has reduced hours
Some Clubs have altered schedules. Food services have changed. In a few, alcohol is no longer served. In some you must exit the lounge to eat what you have picked up or purchased (so the lounge won’t be treated as a restaurant).

We’re changing procedures in our Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges to provide even more peace of mind for customers. Effective Monday, March 16, American will replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items and will shift most self-service beverages to individual portions such as milk cartons or bartender/wait staff service. The safety of our customers and guests is our top priority.

In Flagship Lounges, we’ll replace buffet-style food with individually portioned, covered food items

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options

- Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in beverage fridges and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

In Admirals Clubs, breakfast and all-day set up will be displayed on trays, either pre-packaged or individually wrapped

- This includes both hot and cold breakfast and all-day options Pre-packaged Quaker oatmeal with hot water available

-Soup will no longer be served

-Milk carafes will be replaced with individual cartons in ice bath or frost top and other beverage dispensers (water, tea, juice, etc.) will be moved behind the bar

Other changes:

- Bulk condiments will be replaced with portion-controlled packets

- Snack dispensers will be replaced with individually wrapped or pre-packaged snacks

- Cutlery and napkins will be pre-packaged

- Apples will be wrapped

- Desserts will remain in the same display but individually wrapped

- More frequent cleaning of touchscreens on beverage machines

Other important information:Onboard: We will no longer refill beverages in any cabin.

- As part of that change, beginning on March 16th, we are removing all glassware from Premium Cabins and replacing it with plastic or paper cups.

- Beginning March 10 we temporarily suspended Hot Towel Service in all cabins.

- Food for purchase will still be available

- Avocado Toast and Guacamole Action Stations will still be offered, as the portions are individually made by servers using gloves

AA is reported to be making an interim move to offering pre-packaged foods, disposable “glassware” in an effort to reduce risks to their flying public.

Print Wikipost

Interim Lounge Closures, Service Reductions, Club & Flagship (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Shouldn't they be closing the buffet? That doesn't sound to healthy in this environment.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
One of he many reasons why I don’t eat any food at any AALounge
seen enough passengers use their hands and enough kids take a bit of something and put it back
again it’s just me , I don’t get any where near a plane or airport hungry
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I don’t know if this is related to the whole corona thing, but I can’t get AC bartenders to break bills anymore....even for a $5. Is this because they don’t want to touch money?

I’m trying to tip them but don’t have any $1 bills on me.
The is cashless for purchases (credit/debit card only.) So perhaps with the reduced occupancy, the bartenders don't have any/enough one dollar bills yet when you ask for change? (Of course, it's wise for bartenders to bring some ones of their own, but maybe not always easy/possible.)
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by chrisny2
The is cashless for purchases (credit/debit card only.) So perhaps with the reduced occupancy, the bartenders don't have any/enough one dollar bills yet when you ask for change? (Of course, it's wise for bartenders to bring some ones of their own, but maybe not always easy/possible.)
Im just trying to tip for comp drinks....they used to always have a stack of cash at the bar that they would use to break bills.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Im just trying to tip for comp drinks....they used to always have a stack of cash at the bar that they would use to break bills.
Cash is disgusting, no batthender or server should ever touch cash...
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Sure, but that cash has to come from somewhere..probably other peoples' tips.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
MIA-D30 AC is basically down to pre-poured twice backed potato soup, fruit and cheese in plastic cups as well as a ceasar salad in a plastic cup plus the wrapped desserts.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Take-away food and drink only at FL JFK T8. It's OK to use the lounge but if you want a coffee you are told (and I did) take the coffee out of the lounge, drink it and return to the lounge.

Yogurts, fruit and cheese cups to go.

I shall spare y'all what I think about this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Take-away food and drink only at FL JFK T8. It's OK to use the lounge but if you want a coffee you are told (and I did) take the coffee out of the lounge, drink it and return to the lounge.

Yogurts, fruit and cheese cups to go.

I shall spare y'all what I think about this.
Not sure this makes sense. So they have food and drinks in the lounge but you are not allowed to consume them in the lounge?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
At MIA D30 this AM every thing is covered in wrap or in cups. Cartons of milk have replaced the pitchers and cereal is in small boxes. The breakfast attendant bar (whatever it's called) is in operation. Other than that not much different. I assume similar situation for lunch.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stripe
Not sure this makes sense. So they have food and drinks in the lounge but you are not allowed to consume them in the lounge?
Yes.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stripe
I'm guessing it's a response to this NYC edict. (And yes, I agree that making coffee to-go only seems silly)

"Bars, Restaurants and Entertainment Venues Closed

Starting Tuesday, March 17, restaurants, bars and cafes may only serve food take-out and delivery. Nightclubs, movie theaters, small theater houses and concert venues must all close."
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
My brother just sent me these photos from the DFW Flagship lounge... carrot sushi, cold bacon, and stale pancakes on offer.

Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:30 am

In that case I will do my money shot as well.

We would have soooo much fun in the BA Forum with those handy bags that they are giving out. Otherwise you can get food in Flagship JFK, you can look at food in Flagship, you can covet food in Flagship, but thou shalt not eat or drink in Flagship. But you can partake in the vestibule outside.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The horror-- I hope he's going to be OK.
Haha, yes indeed! Hopefully JL will make up for some if it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.