Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Book one-way not round-trip with AA travel waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist

I just wanted to send out a PSA to book one-way flights rather than roundtrip flights whenever possible if you are thinking to make use of AA travel waiver on return. There is one bullet point:
  • Changes must be made prior to the departure of your original flight.
This evidently means that you CANNOT change your return flight after you've already taken outbound flight.

I hopped on the AA Hawaii deal and wanted to stay here longer however am unable to because of this fine print. I almost always book flights one-way for domestic but I was in a hurry so just made a roundtrip booking and this screwed me.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
I just wanted to send out a PSA to book one-way flights rather than roundtrip flights whenever possible if you are thinking to make use of AA travel waiver on return. There is one bullet point:
This evidently means that you CANNOT change your return flight after you've already taken outbound flight.

I hopped on the AA Hawaii deal and wanted to stay here longer however am unable to because of this fine print. I almost always book flights one-way for domestic but I was in a hurry so just made a roundtrip booking and this screwed me.
Not all markets price one ways at half the roundtrip fares. Sometimes a one way can cost even more than roundtrip
Also, the goal of the waiver was to assist when you no longer wanted to take the trip, not because you might want to take a trip and change the return date
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Not all markets price one ways at half the roundtrip fares. Sometimes a one way can cost even more than roundtrip
Also, the goal of the waiver was to assist when you no longer wanted to take the trip, not because you might want to take a trip and change the return date
Yes understood that international flights do not usually price out at half roundtrip fares, however usually you can get this with domestic.

My point was that terms and conditions are not entirely clear and I wanted to share this with the community. If AA simply added the wording "original outbound flight" then this would be clear. Instead we are left with these vague terms and conditions.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see it as reading as you read it. Original flight doesn't mean originating flight of the itinerary, but that you cannot get the change applied after a no show

This is a wording i have seen on other airllines , not some new ambiguous term of AA
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Not sure why they didn't allow you to change the return. As stated above, you should be able to change the return leg as long as it hasn't flown yet. Several coworkers just did this successfully (extended trip on RT ticket with no fees).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uzzar
Not sure why they didn't allow you to change the return. As stated above, you should be able to change the return leg as long as it hasn't flown yet. Several coworkers just did this successfully (extended trip on RT ticket with no fees).
Perhaps I will try again and see if I have luck with different agent. The agent that I spoke to was very clear that once outbound flight is flown that you cannot change flight.

People may get sick on their trips or need to quarantine. So I think this is completely unreasonable that AA is not allowing changes to return flight.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Perhaps I will try again and see if I have luck with different agent. The agent that I spoke to was very clear that once outbound flight is flown that you cannot change flight.

People may get sick on their trips or need to quarantine. So I think this is completely unreasonable that AA is not allowing changes to return flight.
The only thing I can think of is the time of booking. Both of my coworkers booked on March 2nd for flights originating March 9th with returns today the 13th. One changed the return to the 17th and one changed the return to the 19th with no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.