Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA pilot has tested positive for Coronavirus

AA pilot has tested positive for Coronavirus

Old Mar 12, 20, 5:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 172
AA pilot has tested positive for Coronavirus

Doesn't look like there's a story up about it yet as it's just out but Ana Cabrera just tweeted:

Drwaz99 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 6:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ORD, sadly...
Programs: AA Exec Plat
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
Doesn't look like there's a story up about it yet as it's just out but Ana Cabrera just tweeted:

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...44107593625600
OK, sooo....
GrumpyYoungMan is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 6:56 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW Area
Programs: AA Con. Key; Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 77
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...-for-covid-19/ no real details yet
davecraze is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: PWM
Programs: AA Gold,
Posts: 183
Breaking News, Just IN.... American Airlines Pilot is Human! probably caught the Bug from a Pax with poor hygiene Practices, it was probably that guy sitting behind you on your last flight! Whomever the Pilot, I wish Him/Her a speedy recovery! RT
roadtriper is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:59 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ORD, sadly...
Programs: AA Exec Plat
Posts: 372
"A source familiar with the matter said the pilot was recovering well."

​​​​Naturally this was buried at the end of the story.
bchandler02 likes this.
GrumpyYoungMan is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:01 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,656
Clearly, he didnít buy toilet paper
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 11:20 pm
  #7  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,880
Originally Posted by DataPlumber View Post
Clearly, he didnít buy toilet paper

Frequent AA Flyers Enroute to Airport
JDiver is offline  
Old Mar 13, 20, 2:32 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 6,714
Really? Not only do we need to suffer through the news stories about every single person who contracted Coronavirus, but Flyertalk will also turn into a panic room? There are barely any travel related threads here already.
Andriyko is online now  
Old Mar 13, 20, 5:53 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
Doesn't look like there's a story up about it yet as it's just out but Ana Cabrera just tweeted:

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...44107593625600
Why is this newsworthy

Pilots sit in isolation in the cockpit so there is no concern about him/her breathing on me as a PAX
I'm fairly certain that pilots do not have a pre-flight routine of touching all the arm rests or coughing on the tray tables in the passenger cabin.
Sure, there is a possibility that the pilot used the bathroom on the plane - but everyone is taking extra precautions when using a public bathroom.

Much more worrying would be a headline
"Aircraft cleaner tests positive for Coronavirus"
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
bricksoft is offline  
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:03 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by bricksoft View Post
Why is this newsworthy

Pilots sit in isolation in the cockpit so there is no concern about him/her breathing on me as a PAX
I'm fairly certain that pilots do not have a pre-flight routine of touching all the arm rests or coughing on the tray tables in the passenger cabin.
Sure, there is a possibility that the pilot used the bathroom on the plane - but everyone is taking extra precautions when using a public bathroom.

Much more worrying would be a headline
"Aircraft cleaner tests positive for Coronavirus"
To some people, it might matter; however, to others, it might not. If it doesn't matter to you the solution is simple: move along to the next thread.
Drwaz99 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 20, 8:38 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA, AS, SPG
Posts: 23
Maybe we need a thread "FTers angry that a pandemic inconveniences their lifestyle; dismisses anyone who takes proactive measures as 'panicking'"
mafan812 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:20 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: JAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,200
Originally Posted by bricksoft View Post
Why is this newsworthy

Pilots sit in isolation in the cockpit so there is no concern about him/her breathing on me as a PAX
But they do walk through public areas of an airport and some might even greet boarding passengers and interact with FAs who might be touching armrests, tray tables, serving drinks....
TomMM is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
But they do walk through public areas of an airport and some might even greet boarding passengers and interact with FAs who might be touching armrests, tray tables, serving drinks....
I agree.
But that was not really my point. Anyone taking a flight will interact with lots of people in the airport and on the flight.
Directly with - Checkin staff, baggage drop off, restaurant and shop staff, lounge agents, GAs and FAs, TSA
Indirectly with - general public in the terminal, other pax on the same flight, cleaners, security.

There are obviously many chances to come into contact with the virus. Highlighting any one group of people is meaning less. Saying a pilot has been a confirmed case only adds to the hysteria that flying is a high risk of contracting the virus.
Most people who get covid-19 will not catch via airports and airplanes. As far as i am aware the spread to other countries was by people who caught the virus in an infected country, there have been few cases where it was spread to other passengers on a flight

Any activity that means contact with large numbers of other people is a risk. Just being near other people is the risk.

In my view its already spread to the point where it will run almost uncontrolled through most countries. Closing international boarders after the disease has spread to a country is too late.
Italy, US and Norway, just to name three countries, are starting to close boarders. Is this to stop the virus entering the country - No its already there. Is this to stop the spread to other countries - no its already there.
GrumpyYoungMan and RaindropT like this.
bricksoft is offline  
Old Mar 14, 20, 2:03 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by bricksoft View Post
I agree.
But that was not really my point. Anyone taking a flight will interact with lots of people in the airport and on the flight.
Directly with - Checkin staff, baggage drop off, restaurant and shop staff, lounge agents, GAs and FAs, TSA
Indirectly with - general public in the terminal, other pax on the same flight, cleaners, security.

There are obviously many chances to come into contact with the virus. Highlighting any one group of people is meaning less. Saying a pilot has been a confirmed case only adds to the hysteria that flying is a high risk of contracting the virus.
Most people who get covid-19 will not catch via airports and airplanes. As far as i am aware the spread to other countries was by people who caught the virus in an infected country, there have been few cases where it was spread to other passengers on a flight

Any activity that means contact with large numbers of other people is a risk. Just being near other people is the risk.

In my view its already spread to the point where it will run almost uncontrolled through most countries. Closing international boarders after the disease has spread to a country is too late.
Italy, US and Norway, just to name three countries, are starting to close boarders. Is this to stop the virus entering the country - No its already there. Is this to stop the spread to other countries - no its already there.
i'm sorry but everything you have said is an assumption that you are making. It is irresponsible to make statements like "Most people who get covid-19 will not catch via airports and airplanes."

No one really knows what's going on. Leave it to the experts.
dunno282 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: