Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA pilot has tested positive for Coronavirus

Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium

Doesn't look like there's a story up about it yet as it's just out but Ana Cabrera just tweeted:

Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Doesn't look like there's a story up about it yet as it's just out but Ana Cabrera just tweeted:

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...44107593625600
OK, sooo....
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/publ...-for-covid-19/ no real details yet
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Breaking News, Just IN.... American Airlines Pilot is Human! probably caught the Bug from a Pax with poor hygiene Practices, it was probably that guy sitting behind you on your last flight! Whomever the Pilot, I wish Him/Her a speedy recovery! RT
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
"A source familiar with the matter said the pilot was recovering well."

​​​​Naturally this was buried at the end of the story.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:01 pm

Clearly, he didn’t buy toilet paper
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Clearly, he didn’t buy toilet paper

Frequent AA Flyers Enroute to Airport
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Really? Not only do we need to suffer through the news stories about every single person who contracted Coronavirus, but Flyertalk will also turn into a panic room? There are barely any travel related threads here already.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Drwaz99

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/statu...44107593625600
Why is this newsworthy

Pilots sit in isolation in the cockpit so there is no concern about him/her breathing on me as a PAX
I'm fairly certain that pilots do not have a pre-flight routine of touching all the arm rests or coughing on the tray tables in the passenger cabin.
Sure, there is a possibility that the pilot used the bathroom on the plane - but everyone is taking extra precautions when using a public bathroom.

Much more worrying would be a headline
"Aircraft cleaner tests positive for Coronavirus"
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bricksoft
Why is this newsworthy

Pilots sit in isolation in the cockpit so there is no concern about him/her breathing on me as a PAX
I'm fairly certain that pilots do not have a pre-flight routine of touching all the arm rests or coughing on the tray tables in the passenger cabin.
Sure, there is a possibility that the pilot used the bathroom on the plane - but everyone is taking extra precautions when using a public bathroom.

Much more worrying would be a headline
"Aircraft cleaner tests positive for Coronavirus"
To some people, it might matter; however, to others, it might not. If it doesn't matter to you the solution is simple: move along to the next thread.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Maybe we need a thread "FTers angry that a pandemic inconveniences their lifestyle; dismisses anyone who takes proactive measures as 'panicking'"
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is this newsworthy

But they do walk through public areas of an airport and some might even greet boarding passengers and interact with FAs who might be touching armrests, tray tables, serving drinks....
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
But they do walk through public areas of an airport and some might even greet boarding passengers and interact with FAs who might be touching armrests, tray tables, serving drinks....
I agree.
But that was not really my point. Anyone taking a flight will interact with lots of people in the airport and on the flight.
Directly with - Checkin staff, baggage drop off, restaurant and shop staff, lounge agents, GAs and FAs, TSA
Indirectly with - general public in the terminal, other pax on the same flight, cleaners, security.

There are obviously many chances to come into contact with the virus. Highlighting any one group of people is meaning less. Saying a pilot has been a confirmed case only adds to the hysteria that flying is a high risk of contracting the virus.
Most people who get covid-19 will not catch via airports and airplanes. As far as i am aware the spread to other countries was by people who caught the virus in an infected country, there have been few cases where it was spread to other passengers on a flight

Any activity that means contact with large numbers of other people is a risk. Just being near other people is the risk.

In my view its already spread to the point where it will run almost uncontrolled through most countries. Closing international boarders after the disease has spread to a country is too late.
Italy, US and Norway, just to name three countries, are starting to close boarders. Is this to stop the virus entering the country - No its already there. Is this to stop the spread to other countries - no its already there.
GrumpyYoungMan and RaindropT like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
I agree.
But that was not really my point. Anyone taking a flight will interact with lots of people in the airport and on the flight.
Directly with - Checkin staff, baggage drop off, restaurant and shop staff, lounge agents, GAs and FAs, TSA
Indirectly with - general public in the terminal, other pax on the same flight, cleaners, security.

There are obviously many chances to come into contact with the virus. Highlighting any one group of people is meaning less. Saying a pilot has been a confirmed case only adds to the hysteria that flying is a high risk of contracting the virus.
Most people who get covid-19 will not catch via airports and airplanes. As far as i am aware the spread to other countries was by people who caught the virus in an infected country, there have been few cases where it was spread to other passengers on a flight

Any activity that means contact with large numbers of other people is a risk. Just being near other people is the risk.

In my view its already spread to the point where it will run almost uncontrolled through most countries. Closing international boarders after the disease has spread to a country is too late.
Italy, US and Norway, just to name three countries, are starting to close boarders. Is this to stop the virus entering the country - No its already there. Is this to stop the spread to other countries - no its already there.
i'm sorry but everything you have said is an assumption that you are making. It is irresponsible to make statements like "Most people who get covid-19 will not catch via airports and airplanes."

No one really knows what's going on. Leave it to the experts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.